Spork Boards

Developers, Developers, Developers!

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – February 25, 2008 12:31PM Reply Quote
Don't mind the pit-stains, greasy hair and Dorito breath. They've been busy coding. Or, at least, thinking about coding.

YDD – December 02, 2010 05:50AM Reply Quote
Despite these difficulties, I've just cut the runtime of one program from over two hours to 20 minutes. GPU acceleration can be fun :-)

John Willoughby – December 02, 2010 06:55AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Wow, that's impressive.

YDD – December 02, 2010 07:01AM Reply Quote
Well the original CPU code primarily benchmarks the memory subsystem. If the same changes I made for the GPU were made on the CPU side, my speed up would be a lot less impressive (OTOH, I would have been showing speed ups much sooner, since I wouldn't have been slowed by the memory re-arrangements). It's amazing how inheriting poor code can make for excellent job security....

John Willoughby – December 02, 2010 07:14AM Reply Quote
I've been providing job security for future generations of engineers for years.

YDD – December 02, 2010 07:25AM Reply Quote
You should see the butchery I had to perform to get some of this stuff working.... I pity the person who inherits that (unless the oft-mentioned full rewrite occurs).

John Willoughby – December 02, 2010 07:50AM Reply Quote
Do full re-writes EVER occur? Well, except when somebody belatedly realizes that the original source has been lost for a decade-old program.

YDD – December 02, 2010 09:47AM Reply Quote
In this case, an ex-faculty member is claiming ownership of the codebase (and has an agreement to prove it). It might have to be rewritten, if the funding gods can be persuaded to cough up a million or two a year in salaries and overhead.

John Willoughby – December 02, 2010 10:07AM Reply Quote
I worked with somebody at whose previous job the head of IT claimed ownership of all of the code that his department had created, and took it home with him. He held it for ransom and a lengthy legal battle followed.

bahamut – January 23, 2011 06:33PM Reply Quote
Google Chrome applications form the class CrApplication. Not kidding.

ARL (Moderator) – January 23, 2011 08:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
I worked with somebody at whose previous job the head of IT claimed ownership of all of the code that his department had created, and took it home with him. He held it for ransom and a lengthy legal battle followed.

Learn from this, JW...

(should things go worse in your current enterprise...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/23/2011 08:51PM by Tony Leggett.

John Willoughby – January 24, 2011 07:33AM Reply Quote
I am not in a position to sequester code. Besides... (leans over to hidden microphone and speaks loudly and clearly into it) it would be wrong.

YDD – January 24, 2011 07:50AM Reply Quote
Sometimes, you might want the reverse..... I've considered releasing some things under a non-attribution licence, along the lines of "By using this code, you agree to never disclose that you received it from $NAME, to deny knowledge of $NAME's existence, and to shoulder the blame for any and all havoc, mayhem and cataclysms which result from the use of this code. Upholding the terms of this licence requires (without restriction) you to perjure yourself in a court of law in order to protect $NAME's identity and reputation from association with this code."

YDD – March 03, 2011 10:20AM Reply Quote
How fast is your compiler......
#include <iostream>
#include <cstdlib>

template<unsigned long long n>
unsigned long long fib( void ) {
  return( fib<n-1>() + fib<n-2>() );
}

template<>
unsigned long long fib<1>( void ) {
  return( 1 );
}

template<>
unsigned long long fib<0>( void ) {
  return( 1 );
}

int main( void ) {
  std::cout << fib<400>() << std::endl;

return( EXIT_SUCCESS );
}
I've had gcc chewing on this (on a 3.2 GHz Nehalem) for over a day now. Still not done :-)

Or (on further reflection, and having checked how big the 400th fibonacci number is), gcc has more likely crashed, but failed to notice this fact yet.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/03/2011 10:23AM by YDD.

John Willoughby – March 22, 2011 10:07PM Reply Quote
This looks interesting, for those looking to bring iOS apps to the Mac.

El Jeffe – March 23, 2011 01:19AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I would hope an iOS layer would be in Lion

ddt – March 23, 2011 08:01AM Reply Quote
Hm, that makes me worry about iOS UI taking over the OS X UI... .

ddt

YDD – April 05, 2011 07:08AM Reply Quote
A query for the more experienced developers.... if you're trying to tidy up a little skeleton left in a software closet, and it turns out that there's an entire ossuary stuffed back there, what do you do?

John Willoughby – April 05, 2011 07:35AM Reply Quote
Gently close the door, walk away whistling non-chalantly. Then write up a back-dated warning of an impending problem and insert it in the company files. Try to schedule vacation time for the period in which the problem is likely to come to light. Point to your "earlier" dire warning if people seem to want to hold you responsible.

YDD – April 05, 2011 11:43AM Reply Quote
Unfortunately, the skulls are already rolling far and wide over the floor, and they want to ship within a week.

John Willoughby – April 05, 2011 12:14PM Reply Quote
Ah, an ossuary like Amos & Andy's closet. Honestly, the best you can do then is to present the higher-ups with most accurate summary of the situation that you can produce. Resist the temptation to exaggerate for effect. If possible, emphasize that you had no part in creating the situation and your willingness to assist in whatever cleanup is required. Avoid blaming individuals as much as possible, unless it can help absolve you of responsibility.

It probably won't do any good. Somebody in a position of oversight failed in their responsibility. They probably outrank you, and will be looking for somebody to take the fall. Try not to be the red shirt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login