Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Developers, Developers, Developers!

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – February 25, 2008 12:31PM Reply Quote
Don't mind the pit-stains, greasy hair and Dorito breath. They've been busy coding. Or, at least, thinking about coding.

Cloudscout – February 25, 2008 12:31PM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
Anybody have any opinions on Adobe AIR?

Bruce Robertson – February 26, 2008 06:53AM Reply Quote
Demos at Macworld looked cool. Made me depressed to walk back to the FileMaker booth.

dharlow – February 26, 2008 06:58AM Reply Quote
Bruce,

If you have not checked it out look at Blist http://www.blist.com some have said that is what they expected FileMaker to be by now.

Daniel

stan adams – February 26, 2008 07:51AM Reply Quote
blist seems cool, but the problem I have with anything like that is the "growth issue" -- is the data stored in an open DB underneath the covers? If not how does it scale? What happens when something changes and there is a need for "external data"?

I've working in mid/large Enterprise computing long enough to know that those things ALWAYS happen. Somebody "whips up" a quickie app that relies on some funkadelic Access front end and soon the damned thing becomes "vital" to a much wider organization.

Not that EVERYTHING needs to have the DB strength of Oracle (or even MySQL) but it seems that there ARE lots of good Rails efforts and it is generally more better than PHP so why not make a more generic "builder" for MySQL/Rails apps?

I know the number of folks that use XCode or even Eclipse on OS X and Java or what not is growing, Macs have decent Perl and great Ruby efforts -- isn't that a better longer term solution than the Adobe world? (Which, when you think about it, is pretty much the Windows developer world view, with slightly prettier wallpaper in one's cellblock...)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/26/2008 07:56AM by stan adams.

tliet – February 26, 2008 04:40PM Reply Quote
> I've working in mid/large Enterprise computing long enough to know that those things ALWAYS happen. Somebody "whips up" a quickie app that relies on some funkadelic Access front end and soon the damned thing becomes "vital" to a much wider organization.

This is so true, could it be because the only time when IT really delivers something useful to the organisation is when they can't have a say in how it should be built because it's already been built.

Too many times I've seen a perfectly usable application being tossed for some gawd awful monstersize framework (Hi, current employer) that is just there to please IT architects.

I agree that things should be thought out beforehand and have a sound architecture, but many times the goal becomes technical, while really, IT is a facility to business.

Cloudscout – February 26, 2008 05:24PM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
That exact thing happened to me last week.

dharlow – February 26, 2008 07:46PM Reply Quote
Don't even get me started on this, I have some great (and sad) stories about this type of thing happening at several fortune 500 companies I work for. IT needs a reality check in some places, I am shocked at some of the waste.

Daniel

tliet – February 26, 2008 10:04PM Reply Quote
Heh, this just in the news...

Hope it's readable to you guys.

El Jeffe – February 27, 2008 12:59AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've been part of the department that does tax stuff for a part of the government. I'm amazed anything gets done even 50% of what it should be. I've seen W2s go out three or four times to massive amounts of people.

What a journey.

Cloudscout – March 14, 2008 09:45AM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.

From: iPhone Developer Program <noreply-iphonedev@apple.com>
Sent: Friday, March 14, 2008 11:02 AM
Subject: iPhone Developer Program Enrollment Status

Dear Registered iPhone Developer,

Thank you for expressing interest in the iPhone Developer Program. We have received your enrollment request. As this time, the iPhone Developer Program is available to a limited number of developers and we plan to expand during the beta period. We will contact you again regarding your enrollment status at the appropriate time.

Thank you for applying.

Best regards,

iPhone Developer Program

-----------------------------------
Copyright (c) 2008 Apple Inc. 1 Infinite Loop, MS 303-3DM, Cupertino, CA 95014.

All Rights Reserved
http://www.apple.com/legal/default.html

Keep Informed
http://www.apple.com/enews/subscribe/

Privacy Policy
http://www.apple.com/legal/privacy/

My Info
https://myinfo.apple.com/cgi-bin/WebObjects/MyInfo

You are receiving this email because you have applied to the iPhone Developer Program. If you have any questions, please contact us.
http://developer.apple.com/contact/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/14/2008 09:45AM by Cloudscout.

John Willoughby – March 26, 2009 09:40AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
WWDC dates announced. June 8-12.

The Apple Worldwide Developers Conference (WWDC) is the premier technical event for developers and IT professionals innovating with Apple platforms. Over 1,000 Apple engineers will be at Moscone West to present the latest Apple technologies and provide you with code-level guidance. You?ll learn how to harness the power of iPhone OS, Mac OS X Snow Leopard, and Mac OS X Server Snow Leopard in the most efficient and sophisticated way possible, saving you time and accelerating your development. Bring your MacBook and your imagination, and prepare to make your ideas happen.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/26/2009 09:41AM by John Willoughby.

YDD – November 30, 2010 06:31AM Reply Quote
Resurrecting an old thread....

I've just come across a fun new way of incorporating dead code into a project. Rather than doing something boring like an "#if 0" or comment block, we can discreetly add "&& 0" onto a variety of multi-line "if" clauses. It's fun for all the family!

John Willoughby – November 30, 2010 07:16AM Reply Quote
I find it a lot easier to bulk add/strip comments then to manually edit if statements, but maybe that's just me.

YDD – November 30, 2010 07:48AM Reply Quote
I'm starting to become a serious fan of Stroustrup's dictum that there's No Dead Code - nothing inside #if 0, or inside comments (unless for explanatory purposes). If it's in the source, then there's a way to execute it.

John Willoughby – November 30, 2010 08:00AM Reply Quote
Theoretically a good idea, but I'm not throwing out code that took hours to write and might be of use again.

YDD – November 30, 2010 08:58AM Reply Quote
hg commit?

John Willoughby – November 30, 2010 09:16AM Reply Quote
Don't get me into source management. We use a proprietary source management system that was designed by a malevolently insane monkey for another use and then repurposed by a mentally deficient syphilitic psycopath with a deep-seated hatred of engineers.

YDD – November 30, 2010 09:29AM Reply Quote
We're still CVS - I maintain my own CVS<->Mercurial bridge for my own contribution to the nest of spitting vipers code. It gives me a safe place to put some of the snarkier commit messages....

ddt – November 30, 2010 09:37AM Reply Quote
Well, just downloaded Xcode and got a little start on Dashcode.

I'm more and more convinced that people who understand how to use an app should not be allowed to write documentation, help files, or in-app text descriptions.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login