Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Sound and Vision

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – May 04, 2013 06:28AM Reply Quote
Hi-Fi and well, anything. Why not?

bahamut – May 04, 2013 06:30AM Reply Quote
I spent a crapload of money this year on my hi-fi system.

If you have any questions, ask away.

At present, I have my Mac Mini feeding a Wyred 4 Sound DAC-2 with an Audiophileo 2 attached heading into my amp and speakers.

Amazingly my vinyl still sounds better.

El Jeffe – May 04, 2013 08:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I was blown away by McIntosh's I think sixteen thousand dollar cylindrical (sound) speakers at LAST year's Amelia Island.
Wife and I just watched this year's 2013 McIntosh video from Amelia http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFE81HUnU3c

I tried to save hundreds of dollars by not attending/going this year. So, sat this morning and watched the Amelia videos.
(J-Coop needs to go down to AI with me.)

bahamut – May 04, 2013 05:41PM Reply Quote
Ah McIntosh … damn, that stuff does sound good doesn't it? Vandersteen also makes amazing speakers. I love those.

Jeff Cooper – May 06, 2013 04:22PM Reply Quote
My dad had a McIntosh receiver about 30-35 years ago. Some good speakers, too, but I can't remember what those were. All gone now, of course.

bahamut – May 08, 2013 02:40PM Reply Quote
Oh what about making your own music?

I've got some guitars and pedals that I'm having fun with. My wife and daughter have an electric piano that has a MIDI out port. So I could use it as a keyboard for a synthesizer.

I love the sound of the old analog synths like DSoTM or old Rush albums. Any cheap gateway playing with sort of sound via software, for example, on the iPad?

Jeff Cooper – May 11, 2013 04:15PM Reply Quote
bahamut
Oh what about making your own music?

I've got some guitars and pedals that I'm having fun with. My wife and daughter have an electric piano that has a MIDI out port. So I could use it as a keyboard for a synthesizer.

I love the sound of the old analog synths like DSoTM or old Rush albums. Any cheap gateway playing with sort of sound via software, for example, on the iPad?

Good question. I don't know the answer, but I'd be interested in seeing one as well.

I'm currently struggling to get decent acoustic guitar sound recorded. I have decent (if inexpensive and far from high-end) mice and a decent Presonus preamp/firewire interface going into my iMac; I've read a fair bit about mic positioning and have experimented; I just don't like the results. The guitar is good, too. Some of it is certainly that my playing sucks, but not all.

bahamut – June 07, 2013 03:06AM Reply Quote
May be getting a Korg MS-20 mini today. They are in stock at last apparently. Here comes madness.

Jeff Cooper – June 08, 2013 08:40AM Reply Quote
bahamut
May be getting a Korg MS-20 mini today. They are in stock at last apparently. Here comes madness.

Looks awesome.

In 1981, the summer I turned 17, I took a bus into Manhattan once a week and made my way to the New School, where I took a "course" that basically just involved playing around with analog synthesizers. Sadly, I remember nothing, except that it was a hell of a lot of fun.

ddt – June 08, 2013 12:01PM Reply Quote
Okay, insultingly n00b question. I tried to watch a movie by connecting my laptop --> TV with a mini displayport-->HDMI adapter, and that worked the charm, but it didn't route the sound to the TV, even after I tried selecting the HDMI as audio output in the Sound system preference pane.

What am I missing?

ddt

porruka (Admin) – June 08, 2013 12:35PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I believe some adapters carry audio, some don't. And based on the second link, some Macs output audio over MDP, some don't.

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2639905?start=0&tstart=0

http://store.moshimonde.com/faq-minidisplayport-to-hdmi

ddt – June 08, 2013 03:37PM Reply Quote
Thanks -- I'll try this:

"Using either Finder or Launchpad go to Applications > Utilities > Audio MIDI Setup.

On the left-hand side of the window you should now see HDMI. In the middle of the window, on the Output tab, where it says "Source:" select your TV from the drop-down list."

Who knew?

This, and some of the contortions I need to do to make iTunes work the way I work, remind me of... Windows 95.

ddt

ddt – June 08, 2013 08:31PM Reply Quote
DPBD: Hey, that hidden utility did the trick!

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login