Spork Boards

HTMac

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – December 12, 2007 06:21PM Reply Quote
Macs as home theatre PCs!

A place to discuss your latest home theater projects including (but not limited to):

• Your latest video project
  • Problems you're having setting up equipment
  • Discussing aspect ratios and other technical home theatre related topics
  • That new popcorn machine you're buying for your home theatre
  • The size of your screen
  • And if you order now, we'll throw in a second absolutely FREE!

Cloudscout – March 01, 2013 06:37AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
El Jeffe
(not sure where this should go. Im never sure where anything goes around here)

Well, that explains the turd in the hamper.

bahamut – September 22, 2013 03:55AM Reply Quote
So, I want to step it up a notch around here. I already have Plex and yesterday I succeeded in getting it working on my Synology 412+.

I have a small Blu-Ray and DVD collection and I'd like to rip as much of it as I can and sell the rest.

While most special features don't matter, some do. Plus my kids like the special features, at least on the DVDs they watch.

Anybody have a big Plex collection and think all that through already?

El Jeffe – September 22, 2013 05:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I rip everything to our Synology and use a NeoTV 550 (obsoleted) media player; StreamToMe; and Air Video for iOS devices. I have not turned on PLEX on my Synology, though.
I use handbrake and rip to iPod Touch (?) profile. Not sure what constitutes a special feature. But handbrake can see/rip all the VIDEO content to whichever transcode format you desire.
But, I have no interest in non-VIDEO special features that perhaps some blu-ray contains. I only rip DVDs, and do not care for blu-ray, and can't help there. I just want anything in VGA quality or such; I am not an HD snob, so smallest file that is watchable is my goal.

bahamut – September 22, 2013 06:59AM Reply Quote
If you decide to turn on plex, do a manual install from their site. the package synology offers doesn't work for me.

by special feature, i mean, say the "making of girls gone wild 23: canola oil refinery beach party" for example on the dvd "girls gone wild 23: canola oil refinery beach party"? do you make a separate file?

porruka (Admin) – September 22, 2013 07:24AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Separate file is what I do for ATV when there are video features that I might actually want to watch. A "gotcha" for me was naming... obvious in retrospect, but you'd probably want to prefix the special feature with something similar to the name of the feature so they stay together in various listings. "Girls Gone Wild 23: Canola Oil Refinery Beach Party" and "Girls Gone Wild 23: The Making Of", for example.

ARL (Moderator) – September 24, 2013 06:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The main drawback I've found is there's no satifactory way to do subtitles and/or directors commentary etc when converting to AppleTV content.

Does plex let you play an iso file?

bahamut – October 19, 2013 07:02PM Reply Quote
Plex does let you play ISO files although it's not its strong suit for sure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/19/2013 07:03PM by bahamut.

ARL (Moderator) – February 17, 2017 08:08PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
OK, I have a Pioneer VSX-527 multi-channel receiver which I think is about 5 or 6 years old and has done a good job as an entry level home theatre system.

However, I'm trying to find a simple way to watch movies using wireless headphones. Preferably bluetooth ones.

I've stuffed around with FM transmitters that you hookup to the audio-jack at the front, but that's not exactly elegant. And I can tinker and get the audio to come out of a RCA jack at the back, but while that would come out through a wired headset, it wouldn't go by wireless (I think the analogue wireless transmitter's a bit dicky).

So yeah, bluetooth would be better. There is this Pioneer bluetooth adaptor but it seems to be only for bluetooth in, not bluetooth out. I thought this logitech doohicky might be the answer, but it won't stream audio to bluetooth headphones.

So, now I'm trying to figure out if the Pioneer bluetooth adaptor will stream to bluetooth headphones, or if the more modern "bluetooth enabled" receivers like the VSX 531 will stream audio to bluetooth headphones or not.

Any advice or alternate suggestions greatly appreciated!

ARL

dharlow – February 17, 2017 08:17PM Reply Quote
Something like this https://smile.amazon.com/NewRice-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphones-Simultaneously/dp/B00WEKDB78/ might work well. The key is you want a bluetooth transmitter, not just a receiver.

John Willoughby – February 17, 2017 08:31PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
My TV transmits bluetooth audio, but it lags the video to a significant and highly annoying degree. There has to be a better technology.

ARL (Moderator) – February 17, 2017 08:37PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
This one seems promising too

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2017 03:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, I got myself one of these low latency bluetooth headphones and they're pretty kick-arse. Preliminary testing with various movies/music via the iMac shows much clearer sound (I can finally make out the dialogue, even some of the mumbly stuff. Tomorrow I'll setup the TV bluetooth transmitter.

One drawback I've noticed is I have a wall partition to create my office/man-cave that's mostly a metal frame. Completely screws the bluetooth reception once I'm beyond line of sight...

Are there such a thing as wifi headphones?

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2017 03:55PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
My TV transmits bluetooth audio, but it lags the video to a significant and highly annoying degree. There has to be a better technology.

JW, these headphones I have claim to have a latency of 40ms compared to the 160-225ms of typical bluetooth headphones. Could make a difference?

John Willoughby – February 20, 2017 07:40PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I'm dealing with 500-1000ms of lag, as are most people using the built-in Bluetooth of my model TV.

ARL (Moderator) – February 21, 2017 07:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Yep, after posing yesterday I realised you need a low-latency transmitter and receiver.

Had to plug the bluetooth transmitter into the headphone jack on the amp (my TV has no RCA audio out or headphone jack). This workaround is ... inelegant.

I could get an optical out (which my TV, amp, and AppleTV have) to analogue converter but this little project is already expensive enough.

But I'm liking the bluetooth headphones overall.

Yes Porruka, you were right, you don't always need an iPhone minijack (until the headphone batteries run out, that is).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login