Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

oh my shins!

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – June 23, 2012 05:42AM Reply Quote
Shouldn't we have a thread dedicated to Kickstarter?

bahamut – June 23, 2012 05:49AM Reply Quote
Looks like Twine did well in its battery test… http://supermechanical.tumblr.com/post/25189115532/its-all-on-the-internet-now

Yay.

Not all kickstarter projects go well… 

http://a.wholelottanothing.org/2012/01/lessons-for-kickstarter-creators-from-the-worst-project-i-ever-funded-on-kickstarter.html

or

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/schuyler/lockpicks-by-open-locksport/comments !!!!

Luckily I didn't invest in those.

This one looks like it's on track, which is good since I invested in it. http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/edborden/air-quality-egg

I'm going to have a sensored up house!

How about the rest of you?

John Willoughby – June 23, 2012 12:17PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I mostly fund games, computer or otherwise. I did throw some money at Twine.

ddt – June 23, 2012 12:55PM Reply Quote
I'd be curious to see the data on contributions correlating to either goods given (commemorative t-shirts, mugs, tote bags, etc.) or promise of product (give us money to develop the game and you'll get the game).

ddt

John Willoughby – June 23, 2012 01:10PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I mostly fund to the level to get a copy of the game or, if a paper and pencil game, an e-version of it.

johnny k – June 23, 2012 02:52PM Reply Quote
I think my first Kickstarter was for a cartoonist (War is Boring) to go to the Congo for material for a graphic novel, no reward. His project was just a really creative way to do something meaningful. It's mostly done now, ~2 years later. I also backed one of my hometown bands for an album and got it pretty quickly and loved it. I got a Adonit iPad stylus. I guess I'm not much of a gadget-lust guy, at least not when it comes to spending money.

Thanks to you who contributed for your (I hope) patience. We can't help but take every comment personally, but I welcome your feedback if we could do better. Some more beta units will go out this week. (With flawed cases, but this morning I got a fixed prototype, so off to production.) Not a good idea to move to a new state in the middle of this, but it had been planned earlier. So much of this is out of my comfort zone. Good thing the liquor is cheaper in Texas. It IS going to be awesome, and hopefully we change more lives than just our own. But first we gotta ship!

(And technically, the batteries are still going, at Day 494, but I don't know how to interpret that in an accelerated test.)

ARL (Moderator) – June 24, 2012 02:52PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hey JK, fwiw the twine t-shirts were awesome...

ddt – June 24, 2012 05:26PM Reply Quote
So say we all!

ddt

bahamut – June 24, 2012 06:07PM Reply Quote
Got no complaints about Twine! Happy to be a part of it. Am fearing a little with some of my other projects. Wondering if Kickstarter doesn't need a legal money-back guarantee from fundraisers…

johnny k – June 24, 2012 06:10PM Reply Quote
Well, shit, we should've just done the Kickstarter for t-shirts.

ddt – June 24, 2012 06:31PM Reply Quote
Ha! If I had weren't penny-pinching, I'd have bought in more (though I'm home an awful lot, and hate my phone buzzing...).

ddt

James DeBenedetti – June 25, 2012 04:09PM Reply Quote
ddt
I'd be curious to see the data on contributions correlating to either goods given (commemorative t-shirts, mugs, tote bags, etc.) or promise of product (give us money to develop the game and you'll get the game).

Start here.

bahamut – August 02, 2012 12:02PM Reply Quote
Got my elevation dock. It's nice enough. Kind of pricey though. What was I thinking? But still. It seems to work well enough.

They did botch the packaging completely though. With some subtle mistakes, the box it comes in is almost iPod elegant but it sits in a USPS Priority mail envelope and hence is destroyed by the time it comes to you due to the actions of the hunk of aluminum inside and the postal workers and machinery outside.

It's a common complaint. At some point they decided not to care anymore. Thanks. Biffy thanks em too.

John Willoughby – August 02, 2012 02:41PM Reply Quote
I still haven't received my Kickstarter loot. Should start around the end of the year.

johnny k – August 02, 2012 07:10PM Reply Quote
Some of it in about a month...

I think I really like the Metawatch Strata but can't quite bring myself to get one when I already have a watch I rarely wear, and my main phone is a Lumia. My watchstrap did just break, though. Hm. Susan Kare edition.

John Willoughby – August 02, 2012 08:23PM Reply Quote
I didn't pay enough to get any physical Twine gear. I don't have a use for it, as yet. But I follow the updates. It makes me feel like a vicarious industrialist.

bahamut – August 03, 2012 10:58AM Reply Quote
The new air quality egg is also proving to be something of a disappointment. They've given up on the egg. It's a clear box. Okey. Oh well, it's not the end of the world.

"Arduino" controlled espresso machine reputedly on track for September but since they don't have a prototype yet, I am skeptical for now.

johnny k – August 03, 2012 03:22PM Reply Quote
Oh, that sucks. It's hard to invest time and money into this stuff unless you have real scale. For them, the cases could easily cost half the funds they raised.

Problem with internet-controlled coffee machines is that it doesn't load it for you. Arming the timer is the easy part; dumping grounds, filling with water, putting in new grounds is the part that sucks.

Glad you're getting something out of the updates, John, and it's awesome that you pitched in. It's fun to share what we've learned, even as it kills us.

Alan Lehman – August 03, 2012 03:29PM Reply Quote
These are the last three that I bought into:

Creature Box

Nano Cache

The Humble Velocipede

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/03/2012 03:30PM by Alan Lehman.

John Willoughby – August 03, 2012 05:06PM Reply Quote
Mine are:

Twine

Traveller, 5th Edition (Thanks, James!)

The Doom That Came To Atlantic City (Cthulhu Monopoly)

Clang (Better sword-fighting in video games)

Castle Story (Minecraft-influenced castles and hordes)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login