Spork Boards

WAR!

Robert Taylor – December 12, 2007 10:15AM Reply Quote
Well, at least B?K! got a head start.

John Willoughby – June 14, 2010 07:27PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I think we're trying to bribe the warlords to see that there's more money in peace and mineral extraction than in turf wars.

ARL (Moderator) – August 19, 2010 03:19PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The last patrol...

Obama deserves praise for pulling them out - it's a pity most are going to go straight to Afghanistan.

tliet – August 23, 2010 11:32PM Reply Quote
The Daily Show With Jon StewartMon - Thurs 11p / 10c
The Parent Company Trap
www.thedailyshow.com
Daily Show Full EpisodesPolitical HumorTea Party

Interesting clip, it doesn't show up right now...

ARL (Moderator) – September 11, 2010 02:50PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Lest we forget...

ARL (Moderator) – September 13, 2010 03:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

This article about the US response to Al Qeada hashes over a lot of stuff already covered, but I was intrigued by the "return on investment" angle it took.

El Jeffe – September 13, 2010 04:24PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Without pit bull Rummy, it's just no fun. Just a soap opera with 'emo' boy.

ARL (Moderator) – September 13, 2010 09:01PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
"emo" boy?

El Jeffe – March 17, 2011 04:34PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Save me the trouble of searching/reading posts.

Did any of you Democratic Party voters expect this president to be a wee bit less war mongering?

Aside from not closing (on his first day in office as promised) Gitmo, and a string of other things that should have put him way down the peace prize selection, we appear to be inches from Libyan action. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markmardell/2011/03/airstrikes_on_libya_could_comm.html

It just boggles my mind.

I am just hoping that we get some new C-130 gunship videos - simple things.

porruka (Admin) – March 17, 2011 06:32PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I'm disappointed he seems to have fumbled most opportunities to really apply US policy as a measure of good for the last few months, honestly. Of course, I was one that believed in the meme that HC had more foreign policy chops in the primary, and I suspect is being bridled right now. Given the lack of action to this point, I actually think a "no drive zone" is appropriate (as long as it's not the US unilaterally imposing it or failing that, if unilateral, not because we set up the scenario where it becomes 'look, we have no choice < snicker >').

Despite the painting by many of "the Right" of "the Left" as being opposed to violence at any price, aside from the extremes, I suspect many of us don't have a problem with force wielded with just cause. Past recent actions haven't held to a "just" standard (deceptions, falsifications of data, and out-right lies have a tendency to cause those sorts of reactions) and as proven in Kosovo, "the Left" will support the use of US military force to prevent mass murder.

Regardless of what happens next, this is one (D) who is disappointed in the way the US has handled some legitimate opportunities to reverse the "Cowboy Democracy" perceptions of the US generated in the recent years, ironically, by inaction rather than action.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/17/2011 06:53PM by porruka.

ARL (Moderator) – March 17, 2011 06:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I supported the Iraq no-fly zone and I support a Libyan no-fly zone - especially if the neighbouring countries also support it.

And yes - it's wrong to assume that anyone who is to the left of the tea-party simply wants to hold hands and sing kumbuyah on every issue.

johnny k – March 17, 2011 07:00PM Reply Quote
I'm not a Democrat and didn't vote for Obama - in no small part because of his worrisome stance on civil liberties. Guantanamo is a symbol. Even if he had closed that, we'd still have warrantless wiretapping and worse.

I wish it could've happened sooner, but I support a no-fly policy on Libya with the consensus of the UN and the Arab League. Thanks to our near-unilateral action on Iraq, we would do more damage to the legitimacy of any Arab democratic movement by doing so again. Ghaddafi can claim that the US has ulterior motives, but he can't claim that the Arab League does.

tliet – March 18, 2011 07:51AM Reply Quote
Fully agree with Johnny here. All actions in Libya are sanctioned by the UN and by the Arab League and not only that, there is specific wording in the resolution that it is to protect the population of Libya.

El Jeffe – March 21, 2011 05:25AM Reply Quote
What a journey.

ARL (Moderator) – March 21, 2011 03:03PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Putin is just a much saner Ghadaffi in a much bigger country - he's just defending a fellow tyrant.

As for Michael Moore - well, he's good in short doses.

ARL (Moderator) – March 21, 2011 03:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

I wonder what the Chechens and Georgians think of Putin's comments...

ddt – March 21, 2011 04:03PM Reply Quote
Nah, Tony... there's not really sustainable money and an expanding crony network in Gaddafi's model. Putin is more Tony Soprano, without the charm. I don't mean to pull the old "gangster" trope, but modern Russia is a kleptocracy. And not a far vision of where the States could be with things like Citizens United and a bit more self-delusion.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 21, 2011 11:58PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
My metaphor was a bit lacking but you get the drift...

El Jeffe – May 01, 2011 05:47PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Bin Laden dead?

johnny k – May 01, 2011 06:53PM Reply Quote
Not for the first time, I'm amazed by the President's speaking (and writing) ability upon such an emotional event. I'll allow myself a few minutes of glee before the reality of continuing war returns.

ARL (Moderator) – May 02, 2011 12:37AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I'm going to be a partisan asshole and say GWB had 7 years to find and kill Osama and achieved squat. (Well, less than squat - he started a needless war thousands of mile from where Osama actually was).

Obama did it in less than 2 1/2 years.

I realise that statement is puerile and childish but -- had the roles been reversed -- the birthers and tea-partiers would be saying far worse. So, I'm going to be puerile and childish (can you IMAGINE if it was 7 years of Clinton followed by 2 1/2 years of Bush?)

So,

Obama FTW! Bush = Fail!

Ergo - Democrat = Patriot and Republican = Traitor

This post is entirely tongue-in-cheek but you know that's how the far right would spin it. Their M.O. is "Divide the Country. Pick the biggest half"*

*Something Obama should have done from the start...

Obligatory comment about Phyrric victory,

TL

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login