Robert Taylor – December 12, 2007 10:15AM Reply Quote
Well, at least B?K! got a head start.

ddt – April 11, 2017 01:51PM Reply Quote
Awesome -- let me know what you think.

ddt

johnny k – April 11, 2017 05:30PM Reply Quote
porruka
johnny k
Why isn't North Korea China's problem? Is it because we want to maintain influence in the area?

Strictly speaking, South Korea and Japan at the very least.

Okay. What's China's goals here? Why don't they address the instability at their (remote) border? When Cuba was getting nukes we sure freaked out.

John Willoughby – April 11, 2017 05:56PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I don't think that China's happy that North Korea has nukes, but their ability to coerce North Korea into behaving is limited. If they cut off humanitarian aid (most of which flows through China), it could easily drive Pyongyang to something desperate. North Korea is very unlikely to turn its nukes against China, so they don't pose the same kind of existential threat to the PRC that they do to South Korea or Japan.

I think China is also engaging in some gamesmanship. North Korea is a balance to South Korea's powerful economy and significant military. In the event of a larger war, e.g. China vs. Japan/Taiwan/USA in the South China Sea, they can count on North Korea to keep South Korea focused on the home front, either through direct military action or the threat of it.

Just my opinion, of course. I'm widely ignorant.

ddt – April 11, 2017 07:13PM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – April 12, 2017 07:12AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I think that the PRC is doing its best to passively talk Kim Jong Un off the ledge, but their ability to FORCE him off the ledge is very limited. Cutting oil to the DPRK might initiate the war they're trying to avoid.

Good point on the refugee problem for China; that's got to factor into their strategy as well.

El Jeffe – April 12, 2017 01:19PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
About halfway through the Suki book. I was hoping for a bit more technical knowledge of NK. This is very personal insight into her specific engagements.

ddt – April 12, 2017 03:18PM Reply Quote
Fast reader! I had to pause because it was so heartbreaking at times. She shows such hope for those kids, but she can see how they'll be groomed to the next generation of power in NK.

Speaking of NK and our great leader's depth of knowledge: https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/852280253154295808

ddt

John Willoughby – April 12, 2017 03:36PM Reply Quote
Knowledge is a crutch for the weak.

El Jeffe – April 12, 2017 05:04PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ddt
Fast reader! I had to pause because it was so heartbreaking at times. She shows such hope for those kids, but she can see how they'll be groomed to the next generation of power in NK.

Speaking of NK and our great leader's depth of knowledge: https://twitter.com/joshtpm/status/852280253154295808

ddt

It made me think of Star Trek and the prime directive. She knows so much about the real world, yet can't communicate any of that to them.
I wonder, what operating system do NK computers run? I mean, someone must support a real OS, right?

John Willoughby – April 13, 2017 06:35AM Reply Quote
They've got their own... a variant of Linux, I believe. Called Red Star, or something like that?

Yes.

El Jeffe – April 13, 2017 12:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ok, finished the book. They actually refer to stuff like that in second half.
The students mention windows.
So, again, makes me feel like prime directive with allegory of the cave thrown in.
Also gives me more understanding for Saturday, Day of the Sun (dear leader)
Now, I need to get more books heavier on the history of Korean peninsula.

ddt – April 13, 2017 01:32PM Reply Quote
You may want to hold up on that and see if they need to revise it to "millions dead in needless war": http://www.nbcnews.com/news/world/u-s-may-launch-strike-if-north-korea-reaches-nuclear-n746366?cid=sm_npd_nn_tw_ma

ddt

John Willoughby – April 13, 2017 01:39PM Reply Quote
I'm not sure that it's a "needless" war. North Korea is getting increasingly erratic, their nuclear program is moving ahead, their missiles are getting better. Barring either internal or external decapitation, as mentioned above, I don't know how else this ends but war.

[EDIT]

I'm not sure that THIS is the time, by any means, or that the US should act unilaterally. I think that an attack by Trump now would damage the US standing in the international community for decades, and cement our psychotic loner position in the world. I just can't say for sure that such a strike would be worse than waiting and dealing with this later.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/13/2017 01:44PM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – April 13, 2017 02:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'd like to see unification. But hey, I'm an ignorant outsider, and I"m sure there are more powers at play not just the crazy leader over there. This is where interplanetary exploration will be nice. If they WANT TO all go live by themselves alone, let em. Buy their bus tickets. But I think they have no clue and or are brainwashed. I feel many of US are, too, just in different ways.

El Jeffe – April 14, 2017 03:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have heard positive things about PBS The Great War. Need to watch it for myself.

John Willoughby – April 14, 2017 06:47AM Reply Quote
Spoiler: The war was really only so-so.

porruka (Admin) – April 14, 2017 07:47AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Spoiler: Ferdinand dies early.

johnny k – April 14, 2017 05:23PM Reply Quote
Make Wars Great Again

El Jeffe – April 14, 2017 11:55PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – April 18, 2017 11:30AM Reply Quote

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login