Well, at least B?K! got a head start.

Bruce Robertson – October 14, 2014 09:39PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – October 14, 2014 09:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
They finally FOUND the WMD!

Bruce Robertson – October 15, 2014 12:05AM Reply Quote
Uh; no. Read the article.

John Willoughby – October 16, 2014 11:11AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
ARL
It will be extremely messy in the short/medium term - but I think complete withdrawal from the region is the least worst option.

Iran, Saudi Arabia and assorted other fencesitters would then have to clean up their own mess.

It's that or have a *permanent* (as in "Iraq for eva!") occupying force of 300K+ troops -- which no-one other than John McCaine would be keen for.

ISIS would love the latter as it gives them an opportunity to kill thousands of western infidels.

Just bear in mind that it is possible that the "clean up" might end with a militant Islamic state running from the Mediterranean to the Iranian border, encompassing the entire Arabian peninsula. The Saudi government is not popular with its people, or its clerics, and I don't have a lot of faith in their military.

I'm not saying that you're wrong, but the worst case scenario for abandoning the region might be worse than the worst case for remaining. I'm getting increasingly isolationist myself, though. I said earlier that I don't think any government we leave behind in Iraq or Afghanistan will remain without US bayonets to uphold it.

El Jeffe – September 11, 2015 03:27AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Another year.

ARL (Moderator) – September 11, 2015 04:36AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Indeed. (And can we call it 11/9 like the rest of the world does?)

El Jeffe – September 11, 2015 05:02AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have never seen that, personally.

John Willoughby – September 11, 2015 06:34AM Reply Quote
ARL
Indeed. (And can we call it 11/9 like the rest of the world does?)

No.

ARL (Moderator) – September 11, 2015 03:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
On a tangent, this story is truly bizarre.

The blurred lines between troll and terrorist. Never let this monster near the internet again.

John Willoughby – November 13, 2015 02:36PM Reply Quote
Welp, Paris is burning.

johnny k – November 13, 2015 03:59PM Reply Quote
It's terrible. Seems well planned and brutal. The worst part is that lots more innocent people will die before responsible ones do.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/13/2015 03:59PM by johnny k.

John Willoughby – November 13, 2015 04:36PM Reply Quote
France has not traditionally been shy about acting in what it perceives to be its just defense. I think things are going to get draconian over there. I'm not sure that I can say they'd be wrong.

ddt – November 13, 2015 04:51PM Reply Quote
Attacks on civilian populations -- monstrous. I don't want blood in retaliation but I don't understand it.

ddt

johnny k – November 14, 2015 04:28AM Reply Quote

ddt – November 14, 2015 05:24AM Reply Quote
I don't know that source, and would need to see a lot a) to validate that claim b) that the validation is strongly linked to those proven to those who organized and did it (that is, if the claim by ISIS is confirmed) c) that this is a coherent, homogeneous organization.

That said, if so, they sure have allies in the current Republican candidates.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 05:30AM by ddt.

ARL (Moderator) – November 14, 2015 06:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

And they're likely to get it. A few more attacks like that and a whole host of hardcore governments will win election and suddenly it will be a bit like V for Vendetta or some similar police-state dystopia. Things like this will no longer be satire...

I have no solutions or suggestions. Today I am just very sad.

Last night I was angry drunk and rather radical solutions like say, a several-million-strong military force occupying the entire middle east (no nation building, no faux democracy, just permanent occupation) seemed rather appealing. Sealing off Saudi Arabia's borders, freezing their accounts and shutting their wells also crossed my mind.

I also had this rather vivid Moonranger like dream. Except rather than a new master race with perfect genes the station was full of atheists/secular-humanists/agnostics (a close eye was kept on that last lot). I could solidly get behind that idea - maybe with a minimum of high-school science to screen out the ignorant/stupid.

And this from left-wing, almost communist, me. Scary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2015 06:24PM by ARL.

Ron Burns – November 15, 2015 02:19PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Know thine enemy..

I found this piece about the most persuasive thing I've read about ISIS/ISIL/Daesh/whatever.. Significant implications for strategy.

What ISIS really wants..

Meanwhile the xenophobic right and Eurosceptics are rubbing their hands..

ARL (Moderator) – November 15, 2015 04:08PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've recovered from my moment of madness I think,

As well as Ron's link I'll add:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/alastair-crooke/isis-wahhabism-saudi-arabia_b_5717157.html

And:

http://pjgoldsmith.com/2015/11/14/why-paris-shows-that-isis-are-losing-and-we-who-maintain-the-greyzone-are-winning/

I've found the twitter feed of this "Islamic libertarian" illuminating: https://twitter.com/iyad_elbaghdadi

Vive la greyzone...

ddt – November 17, 2015 08:17AM Reply Quote
Not to be too provocative, but this (http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/isis-in-afghanistan/) report, while fascinating, reminds me in places of the (must-see_ documentary "Jesus Camp".

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login