Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

ddt – September 19, 2013 10:25PM Reply Quote
I've got a reservation number, since they couldn't contact AT&T (so they say), which is ok, because I couldn't remember the SS# needed to confirm the plan. So I have time to look it up. 5s, spaaaaaace grey, 32GB.

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – September 20, 2013 07:45AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I woke up at 3:01 am to put in an order on the Apple Store app.

Then, after waking up for real, I drove down to the closest Apple store. There were about 100 people still in line outside at 9:30 am or so. No telling how many inside.

I drove back to the AT&T store near my house, and the line was only about 8 deep there.

I'm restoring to a Space Grey 64GB now.

Since my online order used my upgrade, I used my wife's upgrade at AT&T. I've just cancelled my Apple Store order, so hopefully my upgrade eligibility will be reset.

The AT&T folks said that both silver and gold were extremely tight. They got none, and of the two close Apple stores, one got zero golds, and the other got three.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 07:47AM by tomierna.

John Willoughby – September 20, 2013 07:57AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Our Apple Store apparently only received 4 Gold AT&T 64 GB phones. Luckily, I snagged one for my wife. I got a Space Gray and am restoring to it now. So very tired...

ddt – September 20, 2013 10:10AM Reply Quote
The Emeryville store now only has AT&T 32 and 64 in Space Gray.

ddt

dharlow – September 20, 2013 04:43PM Reply Quote
No problem here in Hawaii (on vacation) getting a Space Grey 64GB at the Verizon store, got there around 10:30 and put my name in their queue. The line was about 10 people long but you you did not have to wait there, just give them your cell # and they would call you about 10 mins before your turn. So smooth and they had a bunch of discounts off accessories which made it worth getting it there.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2013 04:44PM by dharlow.

El Jeffe – September 21, 2013 02:47PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Android's next OS should be 'Shave Ice'

Alan Lehman – September 21, 2013 08:15PM Reply Quote
Palo Alto Apple store have tons of phones in al carriers and sizes. Very few (if any) golds. Since I needed a new phone more than I needed a specific color I picked up a space gray 32. Only waited in line for 25 minutes. At the end of the day they still had space grays in all sizes for ATT so my gf picked one up too.

I like 7. But coming from 5something it's hard not to like something so much newer. My father, OTOH, upgraded to 7 and ran afoul of Yahoo! of all things? I still can't figure out what step or parcel of the upgrade/OS he's talking about. He hates Yahoo! as much as I hate M$.

[Late edit] ...and Tim Cook was at the *other* local Apple store instead of the one I was at. Go figure.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/21/2013 08:17PM by Alan Lehman.

Alan Lehman – September 22, 2013 07:47PM Reply Quote
Alan Lehman
My father, OTOH, upgraded to 7 and ran afoul of Yahoo! of all things? I still can't figure out what step or parcel of the upgrade/OS he's talking about. He hates Yahoo! as much as I hate M$.

Aha! My father's upgrade to 7 reactivated a dormant yahoo account that then started demanding a password and offering up the yahoo.com webpage as a solution whenever he tried to check mail. My father misattributed this as Apple having handed some aspect of security over Yahoo and was so pissed that he threatened to go android over the whole thing. Settings:Mail:Yahoo:Mail:off and it's dormant again.

He hates Yahoo like some of y'all hate ELO (never understood that one personally...).

John Willoughby – January 09, 2014 09:04AM Reply Quote
Seven years of iPhone today. It seems like decades to me; weird to think of so much change happening in so short a time.

Jeff Cooper – January 13, 2014 03:09AM Reply Quote
I don't know about you all, but I am having a lot of crashes in iOS 7, on both my iPhone 5s and my iPad Air. And the worst offenders seem to be Apple apps--Mail, Safari. At least once a day, one or both of these apps will abruptly quit. Sometimes my phone appears to reboot spontaneously--the Apple screen comes up--but it's not a full reboot, it just goes back to the home screen after a few seconds. I'm not sure what's going on, but I'm not at all impressed.

My romantic partner (girlfriend sounds wrong as I approach 50--she's younger, but not *that* much younger) is increasingly irate about her iPhone 4S. Some of the problems she's having are simply due to the fact that it's an almost two year old phone that she doesn't treat particularly well. But she's having issues like mine, too. A number of her friends are touting their Android phones, and she's increasingly inclined to jump ship. And, although I know she'd be trading one set of problems for another, I can't say I entirely blame her.

porruka (Admin) – January 13, 2014 05:43AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
It would be interesting (from a geek perspective as well as a product perspective) to dive a little deeper into the crashes to understand if it's avoidable software failure or environmental (free memory, network issues, limited storage, etc) behind the increased crashes.

John Willoughby – January 13, 2014 06:27AM Reply Quote
I've had a couple of iOS crashes since upgrading to iOS 7, and one "half crash" as Jeff describes. Nowhere near the quantity that he speaks of, though. iPhone 5S and iPad Air.

ddt – January 13, 2014 06:43PM Reply Quote
The crashes (to reboot, which at least is a matter of seconds) for me happen when I try to take a photo in Tweetbot (latest version). There's no audible cue of the camera before it goes to reboot screen. It's not every time, but I'd say more than 50%. However, I've also seen crashes at the same point when trying to use the camera, so it may be an OS-level issue. 5s, latest iOS.

ddt

Roger – January 13, 2014 07:10PM Reply Quote
Just as another anecdata point, I'm pretty much crash-free on iOS 7 on my 5s. There was a period right around the release of iOS 7 that I had a bit more unstable experience but the dot releases seem to have fixed everything for me.

John Willoughby – January 13, 2014 08:24PM Reply Quote
I don't use my camera much, so maybe that's why I don't see too many issues.

Jeff Cooper – January 14, 2014 07:56AM Reply Quote
porruka
It would be interesting (from a geek perspective as well as a product perspective) to dive a little deeper into the crashes to understand if it's avoidable software failure or environmental (free memory, network issues, limited storage, etc) behind the increased crashes.

It's not limited storage--I have a 64 GB phone that's barely half-full. I'm going to try to pin things down further. In the meantime, latest to crash: Netflix and the iTunes Store.

Ron Burns – January 14, 2014 07:57AM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
32Gb 5s 7.0.4 and no issues..

porruka (Admin) – January 14, 2014 08:16AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Jeff,

You might find browsing (or sharing) the console log useful.

Here's the Geek's Guide to Console Access: https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/qa/qa1747/_index.html

Jeff Cooper – January 14, 2014 05:25PM Reply Quote
Thanks, porruka, I'll look into that.

John Willoughby – January 15, 2014 07:23AM Reply Quote
The Wirecuttter is soliciting reports of the 5S unexpectedly rebooting. See the entry for January 13 in the column on the right side of the page.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login