Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

El Jeffe – November 25, 2016 06:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Wife just got a spam event. Went to iCloud.com in safari. highlighted. hit backspace/delete key. Took it off. I THINK that is all that was needed. I see no trace of it.

ddt – December 05, 2016 10:20AM Reply Quote
Seems like half the apps on my phone are updating this week. Is there a new iOS release out soon with new/changed features? Though the app release notes are usually literally the same as the last few.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – December 05, 2016 11:53AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
Seems like half the apps on my phone are updating this week. Is there a new iOS release out soon with new/changed features? Though the app release notes are usually literally the same as the last few.

ddt

Possibly just a push to get changes out before the iTunes Connect holiday shutdown.

El Jeffe – December 30, 2016 12:49AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I can usually see iOS app updates almost everyday. I have not had an App Store update since Dec 23. Seems odd.

porruka (Admin) – December 30, 2016 06:12AM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
I can usually see iOS app updates almost everyday. I have not had an App Store update since Dec 23. Seems odd.

iTunes Connect shuts down for a week every year. You're not imagining things; the 23rd was the start date this time.

John Willoughby – December 30, 2016 06:46AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!

johnny k – December 30, 2016 07:30AM Reply Quote
Sad.
The patent that they claim Apple has filed and not implemented, does it distinguish between driver and passenger? If not (and I can't think of a good way to do this within the phone alone), there are plenty of legitimate reasons to not disable it.
Given how little people think cell phone use is distracting, I wonder how many driving education/licensing programs talk about it? Something akin to how we talk about drunk driving, social stigma, etc.

John Willoughby – December 30, 2016 08:07AM Reply Quote
This bodes well for my lawsuit against Zenith. I was adjusting the rabbit ear antenna on the B&W CRT TV that I keep in the front passenger seat when I rear-ended a truck at a traffic light. Criminal of Zenith not to block television viewing while in a moving vehicle!

ARL (Moderator) – December 30, 2016 01:51PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Whatever happened to voluntary assumption of risk?

John Willoughby – December 30, 2016 03:14PM Reply Quote
It doesn't pay well.

John Willoughby – January 12, 2017 03:42PM Reply Quote

johnny k – January 12, 2017 07:25PM Reply Quote

"the obvious solution is to compel Apple to let people shop for applications wherever they want, which would open the market and help lower prices,"

Apps being too expensive is the last thing you can blame on the walled garden.

John Willoughby – January 14, 2017 11:53AM Reply Quote
Remember those primitive times when, to delete a movie from your iPhone's Videos app you had to touch the Edit button, and swipe or tap the video to remove it?

Well, those barbaric days are gone, thanks to the UI wizards at Apple!
Now, to delete a movie from the TV, you just follow these simple steps:
1) Eventually, after some time tapping, dragging, long pressing, force touching, and swearing, admit that you don't know how to do it.
2) Google for the method
3) Go to the Settings app because, you know, deleting things is a setting.
4) Tap "General"
5) Tap "Settings & iCloud Usage" because, you know, iTunes movies previously downloaded to your iPhone are iCloud usage
6) Tap "Manage Storage" under "Storage." Because why the hell not.
7) Scroll down until you find the TV app
8) Find the movie that you want to delete
9) Slide to delete or enter Edit mode and tap the red circle to delete.

Isn't that better? I thought so, too.

=====================================
Post Sarcasm mode. I can't imagine what they are thinking. This is a horrible user experience. Are they trying to force me into using their automated storage management, where they can silently delete things? That doesn't work for media, especially media that I count on being present on airplanes.

This is specifically for iTunes movies and (apparently) home videos. With TV shows that had a season screen, I found that I could force touch on a show on the season screen and delete the show. No such option for standalone videos like movies.

I can't believe that I haven't missed something, but if I did then so did a lot of other angry iOS users. Terrible, terrible, experience.

porruka (Admin) – January 15, 2017 08:45AM Reply Quote
Do you see a "Downloaded" button on the movie in question? What happens when you tap it?

John Willoughby – January 15, 2017 09:37AM Reply Quote
It lets me delete the video. I had no idea that was a button. Neither did dozens of other people whose complaints I saw on the web... the people who came up with the ass-backwards technique that I described above.

I clearly am an idiot, but on behalf of the other idiots out there: Apple, make vital functionality obvious.

porruka (Admin) – January 15, 2017 11:15AM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
It lets me delete the video. I had no idea that was a button. Neither did dozens of other people whose complaints I saw on the web... the people who came up with the ass-backwards technique that I described above.

I clearly am an idiot, but on behalf of the other idiots out there: Apple, make vital functionality obvious.

At least you can look like the hero when you post back to all the places you searched...

John Willoughby – January 20, 2017 11:34AM Reply Quote
porruka
John Willoughby

At least you can look like the hero when you post back to all the places you searched...

Do your research. I'm not a hero, I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

John Willoughby – January 20, 2017 11:40AM Reply Quote
Remember that company that built Mac portables by getting a desktop Mac ROM and building a portable around it? I could never afford one. Those were weird times.

John Willoughby – January 20, 2017 12:24PM Reply Quote
Sorry about previous post. Thought I was in the iBox thread.

porruka (Admin) – January 20, 2017 12:34PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
porruka
John Willoughby

Do your research. I'm not a hero, I'm a high-functioning sociopath.

Whole new meaning to "being Sherlocked"

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login