Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

ddt – November 04, 2016 01:49PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I guess that makes sense. Though, given how much money Uber is losing each quarter, I wonder if that means that any car-hailing service could get 200% of the profits.

ddt

John Willoughby – November 11, 2016 09:29AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
OMG, just got Spam as an iCloud calendar invite. No way that I could figure out to block similar intrusions. I HATE SPAMMERS. I would cheerfully support the death penalty for spamming. They've essentially ruined email, and they're trying to ruin everything else that they can reach.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/11/2016 09:30AM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – November 11, 2016 02:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
OMG, just got Spam as an iCloud calendar invite. No way that I could figure out to block similar intrusions. I HATE SPAMMERS. I would cheerfully support the death penalty for spamming. They've essentially ruined email, and they're trying to ruin everything else that they can reach.

I got that recently too. Could not figure out how to block it.

Bruce Robertson – November 14, 2016 04:18PM Reply Quote
Yes, same here, very infuriating.

tomierna (Admin) – November 14, 2016 04:27PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I got one too.

There are two steps to fixing this, short of Apple adding some sort of Spam classifier to Calendaring.

1) Go to iCloud.com on a computer and log in using the account which received the spam. Click on the Calendar app. Click the gear on the lower left and select Preferences. Click advanced. Under "Invitations", select "Email to yourappleid@email.com"

2) In your Calendar app (any platform), add a new calendar underneath the iCloud account which received the spam. Find the spam invite and put it on this new calendar. Then delete the calendar. You can choose not to notify the inviter when you delete the calendar and the invite.

#1 causes new spam invitations to be treated like e-mail

#2 is how you get rid of the spam invites without replying to them

Bruce Robertson – November 14, 2016 04:33PM Reply Quote
How do you "find" the calendar spam invite without touching it?
I just don't see how this actually works.
When I first got it I couldn't figure out what to do with it, I did not want to hit Decline but I just couldn't see anything else to do.
Shit.

tomierna (Admin) – November 15, 2016 12:26PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
It should be listed in your inbox, and if you double click the invite (not the accept or decline buttons) it should show in your default calendar, but greyed out. You can then select the calendar you want it on from the pulldown swatch.

El Jeffe – November 16, 2016 03:13PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just noticed icons on my lock screen; bottom left corner.
Suggested apps on lock screen?
Not sure I understand nor like that.

johnny k – November 16, 2016 05:05PM Reply Quote
You can turn it off: Settings > General > Handoff & Suggested Apps. As it says there, based on your location and usage.

Bruce Robertson – November 17, 2016 09:43AM Reply Quote
Got another of the same calendar spam today, and was able to link it to a spam calendar and delete.

bahamut – November 22, 2016 11:35AM Reply Quote
How is it that there is still no means of remote controlling Mac Powerpoint from an iPhone (over bluetooth). Salling Clicker never supported it and nobody else has come up with a solution. I've found iclicker and other control-over-wifi modes don't work on corporate networks and setting up an ad hoc network is too annoying.

ARL (Moderator) – November 22, 2016 03:47PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
What about holding a bluetooth magic trackpad, would that work?

bahamut – November 22, 2016 05:48PM Reply Quote
There are many non-iPhone solutions. Probably the best is a $12 remote from amazon with forward and backward buttons. I just don't want to carry one more thing with me when I give a talk.

porruka (Admin) – November 22, 2016 06:25PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
bahamut
There are many non-iPhone solutions. Probably the best is a $12 remote from amazon with forward and backward buttons. I just don't want to carry one more thing with me when I give a talk.

If there really isn't one, I'll look into writing one. I can't imagine it's *that* difficult.

johnny k – November 22, 2016 07:58PM Reply Quote
Weird that Microsoft only offers a way to remote control Powerpoint running on iOS from a Watch. Only solution Googling finds is: http://www.pptremotecontrol.com
Otherwise, I'm sure there's some generic app that can make your iPhone look like a Bluetooth keyboard to the Mac, even emulate a mouse. Though the fact that http://www.iclarified.com/13178/webe-turns-your-iphone-into-a-bluetooth-mouse-and-keyboard is on Cydia suggests that Apple may not allow that.

bahamut – November 22, 2016 08:10PM Reply Quote
What was great about salling clicker was that it gave you a preview of your text too. I wonder why he didn't move further with this. I suspect Johnny K i s right. Somehow Apple won't allow it, although I THINK that they will allow it for Keynote and Keynote remote.

johnny k – November 22, 2016 08:27PM Reply Quote
Probably because there's a custom protocol between Keynote iOS and Mac. More searching finds confirmation that Apple doesn't allow iOS to act as the HID peripheral. Solution will require some helper app installed on the Mac.

porruka (Admin) – November 22, 2016 08:28PM Reply Quote
WeBe is also still on the App Store, though not updated in 3+ years.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/webe-bluetooth-mouse/id348874608?mt=8

porruka (Admin) – November 22, 2016 08:33PM Reply Quote
johnny k
Probably because there's a custom protocol between Keynote iOS and Mac. More searching finds confirmation that Apple doesn't allow iOS to act as the HID peripheral. Solution will require some helper app installed on the Mac.

That's what I'm thinking (the helper) and using AppleScript to drive PowerPoint. The first idea that popped into my head would be something simple enough to allow the helper to run from a flash drive since presos don't always use your own laptop.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login