Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

porruka (Admin) – November 12, 2015 09:01AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
El Jeffe
Stubs. The movie.

You rang?

porruka (Admin) – December 08, 2015 08:55AM Reply Quote
The white zone is for shitty Apple Music only...

Apple releases iOS 9.2 with fixes for shitty Apple Music

El Jeffe – May 17, 2016 05:26AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Alone or with company here???? >>>> ....I find it frustrating, confusing, and a chore to dig through the various nooks and crannies that iOS sticks things that are 'app specific' or 'app related'.
I would like the option of going to ONE APP PREFERENCEs area, and seeing settings for app-specific
-notifications
-background updates
-cell data usage
-battery usage and settings
-location services
-etc

Now, why not put/leave/keep it under general iOS prefs as well? So, if you SPECIFICALLY want to look at the overall cell data OR notifications or etc, you can do it all in one place. But What I find frustrating is when I want to shape and manage all those for ONE APP, it's very burdensome.

John Willoughby – May 17, 2016 06:37AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Yeah, I don't find it too burdensome, but it is a hassle. I think it's a problem you run into in late-stage operating systems that have acreted their features over a long time, rather than a new OS that has been designed as a single piece.

El Jeffe – May 17, 2016 07:38AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
They could perhaps leverage Siri to bridge/unite settings.
I'd also like 'modes' not just airplane mode, but custom modes.

John Willoughby – May 17, 2016 08:15AM Reply Quote
I'm about done with Siri. I expected it to improve over time, but aside from a few more things hooked into the back end, it has been pretty stagnant. I can't get the speech-to-text to work at all naturally, either. I think that recognizing the limits of their core competencies is not one of Apple's core competencies.

John Willoughby – June 17, 2016 06:08AM Reply Quote
So... my iPhone woke up this morning with a new Music interface... a lot like the one that they demoed at WWDC, but without the Library tab. Or any kind of Radio. No Beats One, no favorite artist channels, no nothing. My OS version is 9.3.2(13F69). But I want my radio and library tab. WTF?

[EDIT] Wow, Apple has really fucked up their community support boards to the point where they are not useful at all.

[EDIT][EDIT] Maybe I have the old interface, with the Radio tab missing? Seems more likely.

[EDIT][EDIT][EDIT] ...and the Radio tab is back. What the hell is going on?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2016 06:16AM by John Willoughby.

ddt – June 17, 2016 06:28AM Reply Quote
John.

John.

Are you okay? Do you need someone?

(That said, suddenly iTunes on my laptop insists on a new view for podcasts; you can dig into a menu and pick "View as... Classic List", but it keeps reverting to the FAR LESS USEFUL... new? List view.)

ddt

John Willoughby – June 17, 2016 06:34AM Reply Quote
I need an adult! Preferably a nymphomaniac with a penchant for discussing UI issues.

I am either hallucinating in a particularly dull and dreary way, or Apple "the Services Company" managed to kill radio in a way that left the rest of Apple Music accessible. I would far rather have a tab with a message like, "Apple Radio is inaccessible right now. Please try again later" than have 20% of my Music interface vanish without a trace.

ddt – June 17, 2016 11:10AM Reply Quote
Yes, that's definitely a "design for a fail state? wha?" issue. Was it just network access?

Chatted w/ an Apple employee the other night (at the Ars Technica meetup, at which Sarah Jeong spoke, and it was awesome); he had the new iOS and was so relieved he could finally pull out his phone in public. Seemed to run really well. Maps looked good.

ddt

John Willoughby – June 17, 2016 11:15AM Reply Quote
I had network access; I searched Apple Music for a song I don't have, just to see if all of Apple Music was down. I could find it, and play it. "Call Me, Maybe" (Hey, I needed a song that I knew I didn't have on my phone.)

ARL (Moderator) – June 17, 2016 03:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
JW, did the update happen "automatically"?

That would irk me...

John Willoughby – June 17, 2016 04:06PM Reply Quote
In retrospect, I think that Apple Music Radio must have gone down, and the app signified this by completely hiding all traces of the feature.

ddt – June 17, 2016 04:26PM Reply Quote
iGaslight?

"Ve saw nuthink -- nuthink!"

ddt

porruka (Admin) – July 18, 2016 08:03AM Reply Quote

John Willoughby – July 18, 2016 08:24AM Reply Quote
I'm glad that they're simplifying their subscriptions. There are a lot of posts out there from people who don't understand the differences between the two, and are irate about it.

John Willoughby – July 18, 2016 04:26PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – July 18, 2016 05:38PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

I'll be interested to see if this works.

Good to see Jim Dalrymple (didn't he used to run MacCentral?) still writing.

El Jeffe – July 19, 2016 12:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Jim was, until recently, a regular on the iMore (dot com) podcast.
Now they have bifurcated; and I have not heard Jim lately.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/imore-show/id261058960?mt=2

https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/apple-talk/id1113224586?mt=2

El Jeffe – July 23, 2016 08:15AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I never really use Apple/Mac calendar and add invitees. But I did today. I was able to add exactly ONE person for a 7 person event. For the LIFE OF ME, I could/can NOT add another person. WTWHAT?
Went to iOS and tried, there, too. Nope.
Finally MacOS > Safari > iCloud.com > Calendar > Open Event/appointment > Add Invitees.

The new, expanded invite lists was immediately reflected within the MacOS Calendar. But still unable to add or even edit in any manner the list of invitees.

Simple things, Apple. Simple things.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login