Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

El Jeffe – October 01, 2017 02:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
spent two hours baffling Apple Store staff. At least they were fairly engaged in helping me. It's a bit scary watching their iCloud tools all that they could see about me JUST GIVEN MY ICLOUD ACCOUNT NAME and NO PASSWORD.

tomierna (Admin) – October 01, 2017 05:56PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Do you see your content on the web apps?

El Jeffe – October 02, 2017 03:33AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Yes. The web portion has remained as far as I can tell, just fine. I finally erased all data just now and slowly building it all back up, hopefully. Restored from backup last night, and overnight none of the icons finished restoring. So blew it all away again.
Staff baffled by continual prompting for iCloud password; sometimes accepting it sometimes not. two times in row it would fail, third time would accept it. I and they have done about everything to reset, change, etc we can think of. All the years of dotMac,Me, iCloud, iTunes Store, Family sharing account madness finally catching up to me.

El Jeffe – October 02, 2017 10:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think totally erase and set up as new phone is the only way forward. Every time I restore, something messes up.
So far, erasing, and slowly layering on iCloud and all apple services seems to be good.

ddt – October 02, 2017 02:09PM Reply Quote
Can you no longer create a podcast playlist ("I want episode 14 of this podcast, then episode 27 of that one, then episode 12 of that first one") in iTunes and sync to the Podcast in iOS11? I have this carefully curated (and not "LATEST EPISODES") playlist in iTunes and where the fuck is it in Podcasts?

ddt

John Willoughby – October 03, 2017 08:40AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

El Jeffe – October 03, 2017 10:48AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
https://discussions.apple.com/message/32327427?ac_cid=tw123456#32327427

Looking better. then again, 11.0.1 looked better for a couple of days.

bahamut – October 03, 2017 01:35PM Reply Quote
iOS 11 on my iPhone 8, the latest and the greatest flagship iPhone (as always) means…

lots of crashes.

suck-0!!!

ddt – October 03, 2017 03:10PM Reply Quote
I did have Music crash on me in iOS 11.0.1 -- I was playing a podcast I'd changed media type to "Music" (BECAUSE HOW ELSE CAN I MAKE A PODCAST PLAYLIST).

Also, no visible feedback for changing volume in apps or when in Springboard? WHYYY?

ddt

John Willoughby – October 03, 2017 06:29PM Reply Quote
I haven't had any crashes on iOS 11+. Yet.

ddt – October 05, 2017 06:04AM Reply Quote
You know what's fun? Following links to find how to get a free app (https://itunes.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewSoftware?id=1289546434&mt=8) and then realizing you have to start all over, go to iTunes or your separate devices, and have to search -- do you see a way to click from that web page and get the app?

ddt

ddt – October 05, 2017 06:06AM Reply Quote
Whoops, sorry, you can't get apps on iTunes any more. So you have to go to your devices, on each one search in the App Store app, then download the same thing for each device? Aces.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – October 05, 2017 06:14AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Progress!

porruka (Admin) – October 05, 2017 07:08AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
Whoops, sorry, you can't get apps on iTunes any more. So you have to go to your devices, on each one search in the App Store app, then download the same thing for each device? Aces.

ddt

I'm sure the assumption is that you have auto-download turned on, since it's the default. If so, only one hoop to jump through.

ddt – October 05, 2017 07:30AM Reply Quote
I'm not sure I know what this auto-download feature is! Though if it's "whatever you have one on device with your AppleID, you'll have on all", probably don't want that as a default/universal rule. Esp since you no longer sync devices manually in iTunes, at least for apps.

I mean, I think I can see where they're hoping to go with breaking apart the iTunes overburdened model... but these are some hella poor decisions for the steps to get there.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – October 05, 2017 08:53AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
ddt
Though if it's "whatever you have one on device with your AppleID, you'll have on all"

Pretty much. Settings > iTunes & App Stores, "Automatic Downloads"

Given the new tvOS feature to keep the app lists (and order) synchronized, it does appear that what us old-timers might refer to as "the desktop" (as a device-agnostic term) is being moved to the cloud ala remote home directories.

ARL (Moderator) – October 08, 2017 07:13AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I feel like I'm now need to go and do a course to learn how to use an operating ecosystem i've used for over 30 years...

El Jeffe – October 08, 2017 11:20AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
man more odd things today. So, I turned back ON two-factor.
HomeKit, which has ALWAYS seen my ecobee3 thermostat, kept seeing it... NOT seeing it... seeing it...
Me no likey ios11

John Willoughby – October 09, 2017 06:00AM Reply Quote
Possible solution for those who need/want to keep iOS app management in iTunes.

I would not look to this for long-term, ongoing use, but it might be helpful in the short-term.

El Jeffe – October 09, 2017 06:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
once I wiped my new phone clean, I found what I really wanted was a way to easily manage the icons/screen again, BUT know how I used to have it. Should have taken screenshots, or restored an old phone maybe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login