Spork Boards

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

porruka (Admin) – September 16, 2015 07:17PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Uncle Google had lots of posts about iOS 9 podcast app crash, including this one:

http://www.imore.com/how-work-around-current-podcast-app-crashing-bug

Does it help?

ddt – September 16, 2015 08:29PM Reply Quote
I was busy restoring and restoring from backup... .

Thanks, but no. My app doesn't even get that far. It gets to here for a few seconds, crashes: http://t.co/UYJvxF7KH9

ddt

El Jeffe – September 17, 2015 12:21AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
iPhone 4S

I had previously gone into settings and turned off a bunch of stuff, per the video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tj-6Qy2xW9k
Started podcasts
podcasts > updating library
App came up and began downloading episodes, seems normally, for me.

also got "Carrier update settings" prompt. Never seen that. (Remember this is my first iPhone.. Is that a recurring/normal thing? I hope it does not break my PTEL (MVNO of TMOBILE)

ARL (Moderator) – September 17, 2015 02:50AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
iOS9 allows third party ad blocking!

Thumbs up!

johnny k – September 17, 2015 05:41AM Reply Quote
Someone noted that when first installed iOS 9 has a lot of indexing and housekeeping to do, so it will be slow and battery hungry and maybe crashy at first. Give it time and a reboot.

ddt – September 17, 2015 06:00AM Reply Quote
Yeah, I've rebooted about four times since install, thinking something like that. It seems Podcasts won't start updating its Library until you launch it (probably not a bad general policy for apps), but that very updating seems to be what triggers the app crash. So, I'm catching a lot of 22 if that's the case.

ddt

John Willoughby – September 17, 2015 07:11AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I'm liking iOS 9 so far. Except for one thing... trying to buy something from Amazon on my iPad through Safari. For checkout, it kept taking me to the Amazon app. Which made me sign in again, without supporting 1Password, and then the checkout button wouldn't work. No way to avoid the app, going back to Safari sent me right back to the app when I tried to check out. Deleted Amazon's app, everything worked fine through Safari. I'm not sure that this was the end result that Amazon was hoping for: I'll not be replacing the app.

porruka (Admin) – September 17, 2015 09:42AM Reply Quote
ddt
Yeah, I've rebooted about four times since install, thinking something like that. It seems Podcasts won't start updating its Library until you launch it (probably not a bad general policy for apps), but that very updating seems to be what triggers the app crash. So, I'm catching a lot of 22 if that's the case.

ddt

That's what I expected the Airplane Mode hack to solve. When I looked more closely, I saw that they assumed the app was already running. Making another (hopefully more valid assumption), you tried the variation of turning on Airplane Mode before launching as well?

ddt – September 17, 2015 09:58AM Reply Quote
Right, their Airplane mode hack is when the app has already updated library and loaded; mine crashes well before I see any of that. I did try Airplane Mode before I even launched Podcasts and... nope. Same. I've tried it with iCloud on, iCloud off, WiFi on, WiFi off, rebooted, updated iTunes, quit and restarted iTunes, turned off podcast sync, deleted and created new podcast playlists, restore from backup (twice)... what am I missing?

ddt

porruka (Admin) – September 17, 2015 12:09PM Reply Quote
ddt
Right, their Airplane mode hack is when the app has already updated library and loaded; mine crashes well before I see any of that. I did try Airplane Mode before I even launched Podcasts and... nope. Same. I've tried it with iCloud on, iCloud off, WiFi on, WiFi off, rebooted, updated iTunes, quit and restarted iTunes, turned off podcast sync, deleted and created new podcast playlists, restore from backup (twice)... what am I missing?

ddt

Good question with no useful answer from me. I'm speculating from afar since I neither use podcasts nor have upgraded yet.

El Jeffe – September 17, 2015 12:49PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, can you just use https://overcast.fm ?

ddt – September 17, 2015 01:53PM Reply Quote
Overcast is good, but it totally does not do what I want out of a podcast player.

ddt

El Jeffe – September 19, 2015 09:17AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I guess I will downgrade. My iPhone just keeps going to black screen.

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/16/downgrade-ios-9-back-to-ios-8-4-1

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/19/2015 09:23AM by El Jeffe.

ddt – September 19, 2015 11:16AM Reply Quote
Let me know how it goes. I wish they'd been a leeeeetle more explicit about the "so you may lose your data by doing this" part -- which data? Just your Music playlists? Settings? Logins? Photos? All of it?

ddt

El Jeffe – September 19, 2015 11:45AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
it did fine.
just takes a while to restore all the apps. SO, I'll know more later... tonight?
The process was meticulous-ish but worked fine. not one hiccup so far.

John Willoughby – September 23, 2015 08:22AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
iOS 9.0.1 is out.

Jeff Cooper – September 24, 2015 10:24AM Reply Quote
I haven't had any issues with the Podcast app crashing, but I think it's a big step backward for basic usability. Having it ape the new Music app was *not* a good idea, as the new Music app is problematic too. I really wonder sometimes if the people who design these things actually use them--I mean, really use them, in real world settings, with real world sized libraries.

ARL (Moderator) – September 24, 2015 03:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Do Apple still have a HIG team?

Should we ask Tog?

Mokers (Moderator) – September 26, 2015 09:03AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Just installed ios9. Switching apps is harder. Is there any way to go back to the old expanded layout when viewing running apps?

El Jeffe – September 26, 2015 04:27PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i agree

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login