Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Vaya con IOS

Madaracs's Avatar Picture Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:33AM Reply Quote
It's not just for iPhone anymore. This time it's personal.

A new thread to discuss all things IOS.

iPhone, iPod and iPad...

Madaracs – January 05, 2012 09:40AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
I'll start by asking if anyone else has had problems with the new iOS 5.0.1 and connecting to wireless networks?

Specifically:

[*] Wireless N
    [*] WPA2 PSK Enabled
    [*] Android Wi-Fi Hotspot/Tethering

Since the new update, my mom's iPod Touch 3G cannot connect to my Linksys e4200 unless I enable Wireless G (maybe that's normal I don't know.) And I'm not able to tether to my android with ANY iDevice. I've seen some threads at Apple regarding this but I was wondering if anyone else has had issues? Can anyone provide a workaround for such issues?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2012 09:49AM by Madaracs.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2012 10:56AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
I was having terrible trouble getting my iOS 5.0.1 iPhone 4 to connect, and stay connected, to my 802.11g network. It turned out that my neighbors were blanketing the available spectrum. When I switched channels on my wireless router from 6 (which it had auto-selected) to 3, my problems went away. My iPhone 4 doesn't see my 5 GHz 802.11n network at all; I don't believe it ever has. My Toshiba Qosmio PC (which is theoretically n-capable) cannot connect either. My iPad 2 and our Mac Books connect to 802.11n just fine. My completely unsubstantiated belief is that the PC, at least, can only support 802.11n at 2.4 GHz. Maybe that's the iPhone's issue as well, though that would be very odd.

Be aware that when you run an 802.11n network in a/b/g compatability mode, you are running it in the 2.4 GHz band, subject to interference by other networks in that range. I've heard that if any a/b/g devices are connected then the whole network slows down to that speed. On the plus side, 2.4 GHz penetrates walls better than 5 GHz.

It's better if you can run your 802.11n at 5 GHz. Virtually nobody does this, so you are free from interference from neighbors' networks but, as I mentioned earlier, I think that certain older devices don't "see" the higher band and, of course, b/g devices cannot access it at all.

I love that my Time Capsule can run two networks simultaneously; a 2.4 GHz network for my older gadgets and a high-speed superhighway at 5 GHz for my Macs and the iPads.

Going from the barely-related to the unrelated: There is a bug in iOS 5 personal hotspots, in that the phone will not share its network over 802.11 if it is plugged into USB at the time you turn it on, even if it is only plugged into an adapter. The work-around is to unplug the phone until you've connected wirelessly to it, then plug it back in. This didn't happen in iOS 4.

Roger – January 19, 2012 05:44AM Reply Quote
Thoughts on the textbook publishing/iBooks Author/education announcements?

I can't see how iBooks is going to upend K-12 textbook publishing without someone addressing how they're going to get iPads into every student's hands -- it's all very well to trumpet $15 textbooks without addressing the $500 up-front investment you need to make before you have a device to read them on...

Roger – January 19, 2012 05:47AM Reply Quote
I wish they'd decide to murder Blackboard and the "courseware" industry instead of the publishing industry -- but the iTunes U app has also-ran written all over it until they start talking about how its back end integrates with campus infrastructure.

Roger – January 19, 2012 05:53AM Reply Quote
And, you know, copyright. Sure fine, I can put iTunes paid content in an iTunes U course -- how do I put non-iTunes books and journal articles in without essentially just using iTunes U to pirate them? This is why iTunes U is mostly used just to deliver lectures -- profs own the copyright to their lectures, so it doesn't open up that whole can of worms.

tliet – January 19, 2012 06:48AM Reply Quote
Yes, I have some thoughts that I'm making up right now.

There are many 15 dollar textbooks, but there are also 100 dollar textbooks (correct?) that get updated every year and thus can be thrown out since usually the latest edition is used, to great frustration of the buyer. My initial reaction was; this is great! One buys a textbook and if a new version comes out, it automatically gets updated.

However, how many books are being used by the same student for more than 1 school year? And since e-books cannot be sold on, it remains to be seen how much cheaper it will be in the long run. If there's a 'fixed' price than it makes sense, max 15 dollars for any book will make the price of educational material come down.

Having worked for an educational publisher, I know the margins are insane.

El Jeffe – January 19, 2012 07:13AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Refer back to my earlier "education bubble" mention(s).
I hope the revolution is in all things COSTLY and BLOATED in education.
USofA's education debt exceeds credit card debt. But, income is not keeping up with paying for that added debt. POP!

John Willoughby – January 19, 2012 07:33AM Reply Quote
My college experience (not K-12, I know), was that I would pay a lot to actually HAVE a textbook at the start of the school year. Our bookstore often didn't have required books for weeks, sometimes months, after the school year began. It was really annoying to have to catch up with six weeks' assignments when they finally showed up.

Roger – January 19, 2012 07:43AM Reply Quote
Yeah, as a professor I have to go apeshit at the bookstore about book availability fairly regularly. Electronic distribution will be great for that.

ddt – January 19, 2012 09:54AM Reply Quote
Those are all good questions, Roger. And how would people cite or reproduce sections from an iBook?

Here's another question: has anyone tried or vetted this hack to get iBooks Author on Snow Leopard? http://www.digitaltweaker.com/mac/mac-tips/2012/01/how-to-install-ibooks-author-on-os-x-snow-leopard/

ddt

ddt – January 19, 2012 10:02AM Reply Quote
dpbd: as for why Apple didn't say they're taking on Blackboard and other (what is the TLA for these kinds of remote/collab learning systems, again?), it would be great if they could, but the potential strengths (though poorly implemented) of those is their sharing, customization, and other tweakable features, including replacing the branding, that I don't think Apple would allow. Also, who the hell outside of a subset of educators and researchers knows about them? Textbooks, that we can pitch to a general audience.

ddt

Roger – January 19, 2012 10:09AM Reply Quote
The (hateful) acronym is LMS: "learning management system."

James DeBenedetti – January 19, 2012 10:13AM Reply Quote
I haven't had a chance to watch the presentation yet, but iBooks Author looks like Hypercard redux to me.

ghidorah – January 19, 2012 11:45AM Reply Quote
Raise taxes on cavemen. --jw
Would licenses be sold to the student or the school (in the case of primary school education)? If the latter, it sounds like a major win for school districts. $500 / student up front cost would be made up in just a few class years.

John Willoughby – January 19, 2012 11:58AM Reply Quote
I like that, when you buy the books, you get to keep them. The third-party textbook apps that I've seen for iOS were all rental. At the end of the semester, your books self-destruct. And they aren't cheap to rent, either. I have subjects that I am interested in, and I'd like to be able to buy (and keep) college-level texts for them.

bahamut – January 22, 2012 02:32AM Reply Quote
I like that idea James. Something like hypercard has long been missing. Any of you remember how crazy excited we all were about hypercard when it came out? Heck, the Web is something of an offshoot. If Apple had been just a little bit smarter they might have figured that one out for themselves, before 1993.

But when is iBooks going to start running on Mac OS? A big flaw there.

Guess they are going to give iPads away to every child in Texas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/22/2012 02:33AM by bahamut.

John Willoughby – August 31, 2012 12:46PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – August 31, 2012 02:49PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
You know, our patent law should be that if a company drops paid support, after a public auction for rights and if no one picks it up, it goes to open sourced. Just thinking.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login