Spork Boards

goodbye old archnemesis

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – August 24, 2011 02:09PM Reply Quote
Well… 

El Jeffe – October 07, 2011 05:46PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Fox, eh?
They're trying to lure you to the right side... bwahahahahhhhahahahhahahhhhaaaaaa

John Willoughby – October 07, 2011 09:30PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!

John Willoughby – October 08, 2011 03:17PM Reply Quote
317845_10100176802673035_21406135_45134186_1612509811_n.jpg

ARL (Moderator) – October 09, 2011 10:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Guess he's been dead long enough for people to start laying the boot in...

I'm not saying that some of the criticisms aren't valid, the ones regarding Apple's censorship and prudishness/hypocrisy about adult apps/mags/entertainment. But it just leaves a sour taste when one of the chief complaints in the story is Apple called the police on them after they broke laws to leak confidential information.

I stopped reading when they started on about Jobs doing nothing for charity, despite evidence to the contrary...

There's valid points amongst the article but what a bitter piece by a petty little site...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/09/2011 10:40PM by Tony Leggett.

Madaracs – October 10, 2011 09:45AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Is anyone else a little irritated with the media's misrepresentation of Jobs' role in his founding/co-founding of Pixar?

He neither founded nor co-founded it. He invested in it to save it from drowning. Am I wrong?

stan adams – October 10, 2011 10:19AM Reply Quote
I suspect that the "new media training" of many journalism students to doubt Wikipedia has lead to many ignoring the factual representation of history there and repeating hearsay from "more reliable" sources that get the story more wrong... Ain't life grand.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/10/2011 10:22AM by stan adams.

Cloudscout – October 10, 2011 11:01AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It started as a division of Lucasfilm called the Graphics Group. It didn't become Pixar until Steve Jobs bought it from Lucas for $5 million making it an independent company. He then invested an additional $5 million in the company to get it off the ground.

So, in a manner of speaking, he was the founder of the company... he just founded it with technology and a team that he bought from Lucas.

ARL (Moderator) – October 10, 2011 02:19PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It's technically accurate to say he founded "Pixar" - he just didn't found its predecessor...

El Jeffe – October 10, 2011 03:51PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
w/o reading anyone's take, MY understanding is he bought a floundering 'part' (malformed) of another company, saw the diamond in the rough, put the right people in charge, gave them the capital and environment to set out on a new paradigm, and the space necessary to do so.

Now, you can put labels on HIS ROLE IN THIS.

But, in MY MIND, PIXAR is Steve's creation.

Just like MY KIDS are MINE. I put my sperm in the right environment and violin! they are here. :)

Cloudscout – October 10, 2011 04:08PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
And that's why you're no longer allowed at Orchestra Hall.

El Jeffe – October 10, 2011 04:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Almost related: Went to a marching band contest Sat. One school had a cellist ... in their marching band!

ddt – October 10, 2011 05:42PM Reply Quote
You saw Woody Allen (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FUphSl2vA&feature=related)?

ddt

tliet – October 10, 2011 08:53PM Reply Quote
One Google query yielded this story; http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/pixar-story-lucas-disney.html

It turns out Steve wasn't the great inspiration, nor negotiator. He was just lucky to have these people around. Especially John Lasseter.

El Jeffe – October 11, 2011 12:42AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
El Jeffe
Almost related: Went to a marching band contest Sat. One school had a cellist ... in their marching band!

Sent that along to other people. Good one.

(You can cut URLs off just before the ampersand in youtube. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57FUphSl2vA )

ARL (Moderator) – October 11, 2011 03:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
tliet
One Google query yielded this story; http://lowendmac.com/orchard/06/pixar-story-lucas-disney.html

It turns out Steve wasn't the great inspiration, nor negotiator. He was just lucky to have these people around. Especially John Lasseter.

That's not quite the spin I took from that story - assuming it's all factually correct. If you are to take the story as 100% gospel, Lasseter was a hack who couldn't write and - if it weren't for the intervention of Disney (and Lasseter being sent to a screenwriting class) Toy Story would have bombed.

Steve bought Pixar for $10 million in 1985 - and then sunk at least another $60 million of his own money into it until Toy Story finally made Pixar profitable in 1994. He could have walked away at any point through those nine years.

That should count for something...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/11/2011 03:12PM by Tony Leggett.

tliet – October 12, 2011 11:24AM Reply Quote
Lasseter started doing the animation stuff that eventually caught Disney's interest. Steve didn't do a particular brilliant job of negotiating the deal with them nor did he manage Pixar very closely as he couldn't be arsed to get into the car (according to the gospel). In another version of the story I understood he tried selling it off, until he saw the first snippets of Toy Story and knew they were really on to something.

In other news; I thought this was a hilarious story; http://todayilearned.co.uk/2011/10/09/jobs-dropped-the-first-ipod-prototype-into-a-fish-tank-to-prove-it-was-too-big-by-demonstrating-how-air-bubbles-came-out-of-the-device-proving-it-could-be-more-compact/

El Jeffe – October 13, 2011 12:53AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Apple Executive Profile (9to5 Mac)

ARL (Moderator) – October 13, 2011 01:28AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Sounds like a prick minus the whole visionary genius bit...

#4 makes him sound like a try-hard wannabe...

#8 and #9 is very "un-Jobs-like"

Expect a zillion articles about "the next Steve Jobs" over the next little while - I read some rubbish today trying to compare the likes of Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos and other also-rans. Bah!

James DeBenedetti – October 13, 2011 07:30AM Reply Quote
Tony Leggett
I read some rubbish today trying to compare the likes of Zuckerberg and Jeff Bezos and other also-rans. Bah!

Assuming it’s the same article I read, the claim is not that they are the next Steve Jobs, but that they are like him (and unlike most CEOs it seems) because they actually understand the business they are in, and contribute to (rather than detract from) their company’s growth and success.

John Willoughby – October 13, 2011 07:48AM Reply Quote
As opposed to Ballmer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login