Spork Boards

goodbye old archnemesis

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – August 24, 2011 02:09PM Reply Quote
Well… 

Cloudscout – October 06, 2011 07:18AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Somehow I knew they would break their M-W-F publishing schedule for this.

James DeBenedetti – October 06, 2011 07:25AM Reply Quote
Tony Leggett
I don't think Jobs should be compared with the "you can have any colour you like as long as it's black" assembly line ethos of Henry Ford (unless you want to be deeply cynical about foxconn etc)

He was an artist as much as an inventor. Hence why I say Da Vinci.

Oh, come on - Ford's passion for bringing personal transportation to the masses with an affordable, easy to operate device, built by people paid twice the prevailing wage, finds a very close analogue in Steve Jobs. And given the number of people on this board (including you) who constantly railed against Jobs' inflexible design decisions, I'd say "any color you like as long as it's black" fits him to a "T".

bahamut – October 06, 2011 07:32AM Reply Quote
I think James is right on that one. It was a different era. Back in the day, Woodrow Wilson called the automobile "the symbol of wealth's new arrogance" and railed against it. He wasn't an extremist really. After all, he was elected President relatively soon after. Ford understood this and set out to create an automobile for everyone. Plus, his behavior toward Edsel (destroying an engine Edsel had built publicly) seems vintage Steve. That said, Steve's politics was refreshing and he had a much better sense of adaptability (Ford had the Model T, the Fordson tractor, and chemical fertilizer… that was about it…Model A wasn't bad but way too late) and aesthetic.

Cloudscout – October 06, 2011 07:59AM Reply Quote
As people compare Steve Jobs to DaVinci, Einstein, et al., I think it would also be fitting to add Guttenberg to the list of comparisons here.

Think about it. Jobs has really been the Carey Mahoney of the technology world. The misfit cadet who began with nothing more than a holistic understanding of the world around him. He used that understanding to take control and shape his fellow misfits into leaders.

Oh, yeah, there's that other Gutenberg, too. I guess you could make a comparison there as well with the whole "bringing-knowledge-to-the-masses" thing.

John Willoughby – October 06, 2011 08:30AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
And fonts are what Jobs credited with starting his obsession with style.

El Jeffe – October 06, 2011 09:07AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Sen Chris Dodd's statement says he's known Jobs for 40 years. Since Jobs was 16? Any other written cites for this?

Cloudscout – October 06, 2011 09:18AM Reply Quote
That number came from the same team of MPAA analysts who determine how much money their industry loses to piracy each year.

Madaracs – October 06, 2011 09:37AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Rest in peace, Steve.

El Jeffe – October 06, 2011 10:32AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
From Isaacson’s upcoming Essay in Time Magazine:

A few weeks ago, I visited Jobs for the last time in his Palo Alto, Calif., home. He had moved to a downstairs bedroom because he was too weak to go up and down stairs. He was curled up in some pain, but his mind was still sharp and his humor vibrant. We talked about his childhood, and he gave me some pictures of his father and family to use in my biography. As a writer, I was used to being detached, but I was hit by a wave of sadness as I tried to say goodbye. In order to mask my emotion, I asked the one question that was still puzzling me: Why had he been so eager, during close to 50 interviews and conversations over the course of two years, to open up so much for a book when he was usually so private? “I wanted my kids to know me,” he said. “I wasn’t always there for them, and I wanted them to know why and to understand what I did.”

John Willoughby – October 06, 2011 11:06AM Reply Quote
I almost posted that here. Poignant.

John Willoughby – October 06, 2011 11:10AM Reply Quote
jobs-face-640x360_via__corycole.jpg

porruka (Admin) – October 06, 2011 11:30AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
That's a great image.

John Willoughby – October 06, 2011 02:00PM Reply Quote

El Jeffe – October 06, 2011 02:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Great article. Someone needs to collect all these great stories in one place. Like a special room at the library of congress.
Would it be irony if colleges had whole fields of study devoted to Jobs?

John Willoughby – October 06, 2011 02:22PM Reply Quote
It'll only be a few months before the MBA's convince themselves that Jobs never happened and the only way to succeed is more meetings and committee decisions.

ARL (Moderator) – October 06, 2011 02:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
From the article:

But then I asked him if he would sign my Apple Extended Keyboard. He burst out: “This keyboard represents everything about Apple that I hate. It’s a battleship. Why does it have all these keys? Do you use this F1 key? No.” And with his car keys he pried it right off. “How about this F2 key?” Off they all went. “I’m changing the world, one keyboard at a time,” he concluded in a calmer voice.

Proof he was human. I loved those extended keyboards...

johnny k – October 06, 2011 02:35PM Reply Quote
http://www.newseum.org/todaysfrontpages/hr.asp?fpVname=CA_SFE&ref_pge=tpt

Another lump in throat. As Gruber says, the past tense sucks.

Cloudscout – October 06, 2011 02:36PM Reply Quote
Here's one of FLL's interviews today:

KARE11.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/06/2011 02:37PM by Cloudscout.

Mokers (Moderator) – October 06, 2011 02:58PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin

El Jeffe – October 06, 2011 04:46PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Congrats FLL.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login