Spork Boards

goodbye old archnemesis

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – August 24, 2011 06:09PM Reply Quote
Well… 

ARL (Moderator) – August 26, 2011 07:59PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Holy crap - that's not good.

Cloudscout – August 26, 2011 10:31PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I wish I could un-see that.

It just feels like an invasion of his privacy. To most of us, his resignation was a clear sign that he was dying. The company was literally his life's work. Sure, for 11 years he was building NeXT but I see that like a river that splits off at some point and then comes back together. In 1996, NeXT flowed back into Apple and all of his work was joined back together. That's 35 years continuous years and he's only 56.

Yes, he had other successes over the years, most notably Pixar, but he sold that to Disney. It wasn't his focus. He was driven by a desire to perfect personal computing. Nothing short of genuine incapacitation could have possibly prompted him to give up that dream.

I am comfortable with retrospectives that make fun of his idiosyncrasies and lambast his arrogance and cruelty over the years. Those are valid criticisms of his past performances from a time when he was healthy and powerful. Today he is neither of those things. Yes, he is Chairman of the Board of the most valuable company in the world (AAPL is ahead of XOM again today) and one might think that fits the definition of a powerful person but he's facing imminent mortality. He has no power over that.

I believe his request to become Chairman was partly a business decision in order to absorb some of the impact from his resignation and calm nervous investors. I suspect he also wants to cling to the company that has defined him for two thirds of his life.

I think it's clear that there were two sides to him. He was sincerely passionate about building things to make life better. He could also be a shameless asshole. So let's read old news articles about Apple and celebrate his accomplishments. Let's watch Pirates of Silicon Valley and roll our eyes at the tactless bastard who stomped around with complete disregard for the feelings of others. Let's also decide which of his two sides we should strive to emulate.

tliet – August 26, 2011 11:02PM Reply Quote
That's the thing that sometimes thorns me apart; what is more important? To be kind to one another, or to push the other to the ultimate limit of their possibilities using any means possible?

Steve Jobs has given us the greatest advances in personal computing. The man has played a pivotal role in many aspects of the industry and it tends to be forgotten now, but he's humiliated quite some talent too in a way that may not always have been necessary. I guess it comes with his own talent, nothing he could really do about it either.

ddt – August 26, 2011 11:46PM Reply Quote
Agreed on not posting photos like that last one.

Disagree that it was about "personal computing" for Steve. Maybe the "personal" part, but I think it was about creativity for Steve -- he is not a technologist for technology's sake; tech is a tool towards a goal of freedom to explore and express, and if the best vector for that (and one that could make money) had instead been politics, or fruit juice, or magic, Steve would have been on that.

ddt

Cloudscout – August 26, 2011 11:59PM Reply Quote
Yes. I think it was the personal part of personal computing that he was interested in. He saw them as a tool with great potential for enhancing life and he wanted to push the realization of that potential... or, at least, his vision of it.

dharlow – August 27, 2011 03:01AM Reply Quote
What a vision it has been...

Steve has clearly shaped they last 30 years of computing and what he has set in motion will hopefully continue to shape the next 30 years.

Daniel

El Jeffe – August 27, 2011 06:33AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
that photo makes me want to cry. From the bottom of my heart, I wish him well. He should not THINK of working or using a molecule of his brain towards Apple. He needs to concentrate on himself, his life and his loved ones. (not preaching, but I don't want him to think that I need him to fuss over consumer electronics one second more of his existence)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/27/2011 06:38AM by El Jeffe.

tliet – August 27, 2011 06:38AM Reply Quote
Apologies to all for posting this distasteful image. Tom, would you please be so kind and remove the link?

El Jeffe – August 27, 2011 07:11PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not sure what to make of this DealExtreme (cheap china stuff) email advertisement. There is no link associated with this image, either.

bahamut – August 29, 2011 01:46AM Reply Quote
I'm not so convinced that is Jobs in the photo tliet posted.

1. He is wearing a dress.
2. His friend has his hand around his waist.
3. His friend is staring at the camera without an outraged look.

I call p-shop. A quick Googling suggests more…

http://i.imgur.com/WV5Y0.jpg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/29/2011 01:48AM by bahamut.

El Jeffe – August 29, 2011 04:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Would not surprise me at all. I thought I had seen another, slightly different angle. At least the background.

ARL (Moderator) – August 30, 2011 09:42PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Now, I do realise that perhaps in the last few days Jobs has been idolised just a tad and perhaps some of his faults have been overlooked, but this is about the most mean-spirited piece you could come across.

Apparently buying or owning any Apple product = "onanism"?

That's some serious hatin'

tliet – August 31, 2011 12:15AM Reply Quote
Well, it's certainly not a positive piece, but it's also not unrealistic either. I don't think Steve has ever been caught doing a charitable thing.

Cloudscout – August 31, 2011 08:13AM Reply Quote
Not on Apple's behalf, no.

Since his transplant, he's been involved in the organ donor process.

John Willoughby – September 09, 2011 03:41PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

Cloudscout – September 09, 2011 03:49PM Reply Quote
Everybody knows that Steve only unveils major news on Tuesdays.

John Willoughby – September 09, 2011 04:23PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
"One more thing..."

El Jeffe – September 09, 2011 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Dan Rather back at CBS News?

Cloudscout – September 09, 2011 06:20PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
Dan Rather back at CBS News?

Ooh. Ouch.

tomierna (Admin) – September 09, 2011 07:25PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I have a hosts file blacklist that points all Gizmodo/Gawker/etc sites to 127.0.0.1. I hope it's justified in this case.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login