Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

DIY

bahamut's Avatar Picture bahamut – June 17, 2011 03:17AM Reply Quote
In the spirit of reciprocating mass and click click click… 

Don't tell me what I will do, 'cos I won't
Don't tell me to believe in you, 'cos I don't
Be on your guard, better hostile and hard
--don't risk affection
Like flesh to the bone in the no-go zone
you're still looking for the resurrection
Come up to me with your "What did you say?"
and I'll tell you straight in the eye

D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y. D.I.Y.
do it yourself

bahamut – June 17, 2011 03:21AM Reply Quote
How is it that we don't have this forum?
Easy… because we've been hiding in rentals until the market tanked and peaked. We've bought a lovely place and are in the process of doing all sorts of things.

So… the new place has a Bosch Nexxt washer and dryer. Probably from 2006, but maybe 2005. The rental has LG units. My wife doesn't like the Bosch series because of the interface (for example, it keeps beeping after the clothes are done, which annoys people). Do we keep the Bosch and sell the LG? (cheapest immediately as there is no cost). Sell the Bosch (or worse yet, give it to my sister in law… my wife basically told them she would give em the LG… and I said, no way…) and haul over the LG (removal and install cost). Or sell both units and buy new ones like the new LGs? They're pricey, but the steam features seem great.

bahamut – June 17, 2011 03:22AM Reply Quote
Also, we have the floors ripped up right now to replace them and I was thinking… Should I move the FiOS router 20 feet? And if I do, is it ok to just add an extension and more cable?

ddt – June 17, 2011 03:39AM Reply Quote
Bamboo flooring.

ddt

bahamut – August 05, 2013 01:09PM Reply Quote
Well, I tried…

And I'm going to try again.

I'm starting to set up a home shop. I'd like to get a drill press that could handle both basic woodworking stuff and also some electronics-oriented projects (like drilling holes in plastic or metal that are pretty precise… not super precise, but precise enough that they'll allow me to bolt said unit onto something else with holes already drilled).

What to buy?

Eh?

Free tips on Cat 6 for you all! Just ask.

El Jeffe – August 05, 2013 02:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think a radial arm saw is a must.
Or, just take $200 to Harbor Freight and buy one of everything. t.com/#

bahamut – August 05, 2013 04:56PM Reply Quote
I thought so about the radial arm saw too, but then I found out that they aren't too popular anymore.

It wasn't inexpensive, but I got a DEWALT DW717 10-Inch Double-Bevel Sliding Compound Miter-Saw from Amazon.

Boy is that a great saw. Does what a radial arm saw would have done but also much more.

johnny k – August 05, 2013 05:57PM Reply Quote
I should look at one of those when I have more room. A jigsaw doesn't cut straight lines so well. What would be awesome is a laser cutter or waterjet. You can get the former for a grand or two in a size big enough to do engraving and decorative markings on anything softer than metal.

ddt – August 05, 2013 06:29PM Reply Quote
Water jets also can cut 6/4 titanium. Cool for keychains, bottle openers, bike dropouts, bike head badges, custom Twine bling -- you know, regular stuff.

ddt

Cloudscout – September 02, 2013 04:31PM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
This was a fun DIY weekend. At Liz's new house I replaced a vanity top/sink, sidesplash, faucet and cabinet hardware in one bathroom and replaced a light fixture in the hallway. As she does with EVERY improvement project, she argued with me over whether any of it was going to make a difference and just like everything else, she was thrilled with the end result.

Back at my house, I replaced the motion activated flood light in the back yard with a nice, bright LED model. I was really tired of replacing burned out halogen bulbs in the old one... not to mention the fact that the old one had two 100 watt halogen bulbs and the new one has two 11 watt LED emitters. I also installed a solar-powered LED flood light towards the other end of the house. Now that we've passed sundown, I'm able to see how well they both work and I'm quite happy with the results.

dharlow – September 02, 2013 06:42PM Reply Quote
How is the 11 watt LED compared to the 100 watt bulb, is it as bright?

ARL (Moderator) – September 02, 2013 07:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I have 6 watt LED lights replacing some 50 watt halogens -- easily as bright...

YMMV...

Cloudscout – September 03, 2013 03:21AM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
I haven't done any side-by-side comparisons to definitively say whether the LED is just as bright as the halogen was but I'm inclined to say that, yes, it is.

ddt – September 03, 2013 06:50AM Reply Quote
And you could get programmable-color LED bulbs -- make the neighbors think you've got UFOs landing.

ddt

Cloudscout – September 03, 2013 07:59AM Reply Quote
Me, I want a hula-hoop.
My neighbors have all met me so they are keenly aware of the fact that aliens have already landed.

John Willoughby – September 03, 2013 09:09AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
Sparby barada nikto.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login