Spork Boards

Paying the Bills

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – February 03, 2008 09:46AM Reply Quote
I've just signed up MacEdition for a B&H Photo Video Affiliate program.

If you want to help support MacEdition and Spork, click on the B&H Ad in the header of any MacEdition or Spork page, and buy the toys you need from B&H!

I've bought north of $20k of camera and video equipment from B&H over the last two years, and I know everyone here knows how highly rated they are as a retailer.

They're also an authorized Mac dealer.

MacEdition gets 2% of every sale through that affiliate link, so don't be shy!

tomierna (Admin) – December 23, 2013 08:41PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Sweet, thanks!

El Jeffe – April 13, 2014 03:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
When I click the ad, the final resting page I am on does not have a URL with any indication that an affiliate ad (Spork's) was clicked. I'm just basing my expected URL nomenclature on that of other sites' affiliate URLs, but should there be some intelligence/affiliate ID inserted and viewable in the final URL?

AD URL before clicking: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/?BI=1940&KW=BANNER2&KBID=2629&img=bh_professionalcameras.gif

after clicking my address line's URL only shows a rudimentary http://www.bhphotovideo.com

Just wanted to make sure that is as expected from your/this end, and it does not need to be re-jiggered.

tomierna (Admin) – April 13, 2014 07:34AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Thanks, El Jeffe.

From my experience, you don't need to do anything specific - just click the ad, and buy while you're still in the same browser session.

tomierna (Admin) – May 21, 2014 01:42PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
This is probably as appropriate as any of a place to ask if others have seen this bad news from another cherished online community:

Roger – May 21, 2014 05:18PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I posted in that thread. Sad for MeFi — and honestly a bad omen for Google, too, if they're disincentivizing the good content when they go after the content-farm glurge, they're throwing the baby of search quality out with the spammy bathwater.

bahamut – July 14, 2014 06:37PM Reply Quote
You should've gotten a good $15 or os from the the other day. Mala tov!

tomierna (Admin) – January 15, 2015 04:38PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
To make it easier to be sure that B&H purchases you make might go toward keeping the lights on, just use the handy search tool at the bottom of each page of the forum. I've also added an Amazon Affiliate search.

You'll need to turn off Ad Blockers and Ghostery-style plugins to see the search fields, and be using either the Spork theme or the MacEdition theme. I didn't add them to the other Phorum default templates.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 15, 2015 04:55PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
thanks Tom. I'll use it for my Amazon purchases. by any chance can you tell the widget to search smile.amazon.com instead of amazon.com?

Cloudscout – January 15, 2015 05:51PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I don't think affiliate links work on smile, do they? Isn't it an either-or thing? The commission either goes to charity or to an affiliate?

Alan Lehman – January 15, 2015 06:41PM Reply Quote
Have you seen any recent B&H purchases through your link? I mean, rather, you have seen them, haven't you?

Mokers (Moderator) – January 16, 2015 07:02AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I don't think affiliate links work on smile, do they? Isn't it an either-or thing? The commission either goes to charity or to an affiliate?

Hmm, not sure.

tomierna (Admin) – January 16, 2015 10:15AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Mokers: The widget is copied straight from the affiliate account, so I'm not sure where to begin to try and have it work with Smile.

Alan: There have been a few items purchased in 10/2014, a few in 12/2014 and a few this month, so yep, I'm seeing some purchases!

Cloudscout – January 16, 2015 11:36AM Reply Quote
For my next Amazon purchase, I'll try a little experiment. I'll find the product on smile.amazon.com and I'll manually add the tecmaninc tag to the URL. Then I'll have Tom check the report after it ships to see if the commission shows up.

tomierna (Admin) – January 16, 2015 05:49PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
CS, what you propose should work, but apparently the widgets can't yet point at Smile:

How do I create affiliate links to AmazonSmile?

You can create affiliate text links to AmazonSmile by changing the domain in an affiliate link URL from “www.amazon.com” to “smile.amazon.com” while keeping everything else in the URL exactly the same as your standard affiliate links. Currently, all links created using Associates Central tools send traffic to pages on www.amazon.com. Many of the links created using our tools can be edited to point to smile.amazon.com, though some cannot. Associates can’t edit a destination URL for Widgets, Banners and Text and Image product links—URLs created by these tools can’t be changed to send users to AmazonSmile at this time.

Alan Lehman – January 16, 2015 07:45PM Reply Quote
I had one 30dec14 and another 10Jan15. Glad you're seeing them.

John Willoughby – January 16, 2015 11:03PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Now that Amazon's here, I'll order things! But I'm not seeing Amazon, just B&H. Would it be possible to post a direct link URL to Amazon with the magic glyphs in it? I'll just put it in my bookmarks and buy everything through it.

El Jeffe – January 17, 2015 01:12AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yeah, I only see B&H too. second dl request.

Cloudscout – January 17, 2015 11:23AM Reply Quote
Are you looking at the bottom of the page? The top of the page just has the B&H link but the bottom of the page has both B&H and Amazon.

tomierna (Admin) – January 17, 2015 04:12PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Yes, I only added them to the footer. The Amazon widget seems to take a couple seconds to render too. Weird.

John Willoughby – January 18, 2015 07:23PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Nope, no Amazon widget in footer. Chrome on Windows 7, atm.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login