Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

That Darn Google...

ARL (Moderator) – May 12, 2011 08:15PM Reply Quote
With the release of Chrome OS (whatever the hell that is) I thought it might be time Google got it's own thread.

Don't be evil? < /Snark...>

tliet – May 13, 2011 04:59AM Reply Quote
One URL: http://chrome.angrybirds.com/

I was under the impression it doesn't use flash, but when visited on the iPhone a message about Flash missing appears.

johnny k – May 13, 2011 05:38AM Reply Quote
What's the point if it still needs Flash? That they might not have to port it to every flavor-of-the-month iPad competitor?

John Willoughby – May 13, 2011 07:43AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
People have been commenting on it. A completely HTML 5 implementation, tied to Flash for some reason. Perhaps to exclude iOS devices?

tliet – May 13, 2011 01:49PM Reply Quote
I thought it was cool as a really good showcase for html5, how far it has come in such a short time. And it works perfectly in Firefox too, but on iOS platforms it suddenly complains about missing Flash. Which is odd if you ask me.

Google has maneuvered itself in a funny spot, promoting html5 but at the same time integrating flash...

ARL (Moderator) – May 13, 2011 02:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Google has maneuvered itself in a funny spot, promoting html5 but at the same time integrating flash...

Embrace, extend, extinguish...

John Willoughby – May 13, 2011 02:21PM Reply Quote
Google's disclaiming the latest Chrome exploit, because it attacks via the Flash plugin... which is packaged and distributed as a part of Chrome. I think that this is a little disingenuous.

ARL (Moderator) – May 13, 2011 10:30PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Well, the smart thing would be to drop support for the aforemetioned buggy 3rd party software

Meanwhile, Android, the emerging market leader in malware...

Cloudscout – May 14, 2011 04:52PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Yeah, that is the only benefit to Apple's app store.

ARL (Moderator) – May 14, 2011 06:02PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That said, there are some awful apps at the (Apple) app store. Ones that are barely beyond the "hello world!" level of programming...

John Willoughby – May 14, 2011 07:27PM Reply Quote
Hey, I worked hard on those!

Cloudscout – May 16, 2011 05:59AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
This is why Amazon stands a good chance of becoming more popular as an alternative app store on Android devices.

I'd like to see Google set up a sort of affiliate program for the Android Market where you can subscribe to someone's affiliate store which would present you with a subset of the full market catalog which would be pre-screened by the affiliate who would earn a small commission for apps sold via their storefront.

morganti – May 19, 2011 12:38PM Reply Quote
For good or for evil, there's a lot to be said for the theory that "Apple can just add that if they need to". It's one of the reasons I'm perfectly happy in raggin' on Android but also happy that they're there pushing Apple.

If Android really starts sucking money out of the App Store (see Amazon Android Store) Apple can certainly implement some of the things that people say is better on Android. Obviously they're never going to implement side-loading from a non-App store source... But they certainly could offer a 24/48hr return policy. They could implement "trialware" that would expire after a certain period. They could add some kind of affiliate system.

All those things are there for Apple almost "in reserve" if they need it. But I don't think they're going to do most or any of those things till the competition at LEAST gets near them in terms of App sales or if the Phone sales start slipping because of those reasons.

Morg "I'd like it to happen sooner than later though..." anti

ARL (Moderator) – June 23, 2011 06:18PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – October 23, 2011 01:13AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

Been doing some search terms today involving "empowerment" and "anonymity"

I strongly urge people to start using bing, yahoo or dogpile...

El Jeffe – October 23, 2011 04:29AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
any details you can offer to go along with your suggestion?
You can always use http://www.scroogle.org/ too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/23/2011 04:34AM by El Jeffe.

Roger – October 23, 2011 09:41AM Reply Quote
Disconnect seems promising for privacy protection, too.

johnny k – October 23, 2011 10:29AM Reply Quote
I use Disconnect in Chrome to block everything it can. As a bonus, it blocks comments in sites that use Facebook to do comments.

tliet – October 23, 2011 11:29AM Reply Quote
Ghostery is also great. It blocks hundreds of domains, cookies and other kinds of tracking methods. Works in FF and Chrome.

El Jeffe – October 23, 2011 01:06PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I use ghostery, but with the interface and accuracy in blocks was better.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login