Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 04:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 04:54AM by rino.

Cloudscout – March 09, 2016 02:14PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Milkshakes for Corel "support".

I contacted them today because I bought PaintShop Pro X8 and installed it on my Surface Book. The program keeps locking up. Their response was:

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

I understand that you are having issues with the product. Let me go ahead and help you.

Please be informed that PaintShop Pro X8 is not compatible to run with Microsoft Surface Book, that is why you are having an issue with the program.

You may refer from the link below for minimum system requirement of the program. Thank you.

http://www.paintshoppro.com/en/products/paintshop-pro/standard/?hptrack=mmpsp&_ga=1.251573252.387211866.1449819744#system-requirements

Thank you.

Of course there's nothing on that minimum requirements list that would suggest the Surface Book isn't supported. There's nothing in their knowledge base articles about it. The guy just wasn't interested in helping. I finally found a thread in their customer forums where other people reported the same issue. Some of them said that they were able to fix it by just uninstalling the program, reinstalling it and then re-applying the program's patches. I guess I'll give that a shot.

El Jeffe – March 09, 2016 02:23PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
sorry.

El Jeffe – March 10, 2016 01:50AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I contacted Corel Support:

Ged P. (Corel)
Mar 9, 22:09

Jeffe,

Thank you for contacting Corel Technical Support.

Yes you can install PaintShop Pro X8 in a Microsoft Surface Book.

If you wish to purchase the software with a discounted price please click on the link below.

PaintShop Pro X8:
https://store.paintshoppro.com/1184/uurl-2u3ioja5b7

PaintShop Pro X8 Ultimate:
https://store.paintshoppro.com/1184/uurl-i0hz4hscoe

Please do not hesitate to contact us with any further questions.

Regards,
Ged
Corel Technical Support Services

El Jeffe – March 10, 2016 02:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Their zendesk support offers closing comments...

This ticket has been rated as Good, I'm satisfied
With the following comment:
A friend of mine had issues with it running on their MS Surface Book. He had heard from another support tech that it was not supported.

Cloudscout – March 10, 2016 09:01AM Reply Quote
That's amusing, but not surprising.

James DeBenedetti – March 10, 2016 01:30PM Reply Quote
Corel still exists?

bahamut – March 12, 2016 04:10PM Reply Quote
Yeah, had no idea.

YDD – March 20, 2016 04:54PM Reply Quote
valgrind. An unusual choice I know (usually it belongs in the Swiffies), but in this case, unhelpful (albeit technically correct) reports cost me a lot of time.

I was merrily refactoring code to use datastructures which don't make L3 caches weep, and my tests were failing sporadically. This being a sign of memory corruption, I fire up valgrind. Which spits out a "branch depends on uninitialised variable" error on the following branch:
a = SomeFunc(...);
if( a < 10 ) { ...... }
After some headscratching and a visit to the valgrind docs, it turns out that valgrind doesn't alert as soon as an uninitialised variable is accessed, on the grounds that that would fire whenever a padded structure was copied. So I had to work backwards, injecting lots of no-op if statements to track down which variable was causing all the issues. A lot of time which would have been saved if valgrind could have also detected the uninitialised variable being used in mathematical operations :-(

Why the variable was uninitialised in the first place is a separate rant.

El Jeffe – April 15, 2016 03:36AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Must be bad when your services DASHBOARD is down!

John Willoughby – April 15, 2016 06:29AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Is there a website that I can go to in order to check the status of the iCloud status page?

ddt – April 15, 2016 06:57AM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – April 26, 2016 03:07PM Reply Quote
Centurylink charges a bullshit "Internet Cost Recovery Fee" as a below-the-line charge. This is a discretionary charge and not a tax but they're allowed to make it LOOK like a tax because, well, they've bribed enough politicians to buy lucrative laws. It was $1.99 per month, now it's suddenly $3.99 per month. We have Comcast Business Class internet at home here but our other house (where the in-laws live) we had Centurylink. The in-laws bought a new house yesterday so my wife and I were planning to move to the other house this summer while we remodel this one and were trying to decide whether to keep Centurylink there or switch it to Comcast. This crap made the decision easy.

johnny k – April 26, 2016 04:42PM Reply Quote
Every once in a while I survey broadband wireless providers. I'd pay a good chunk more on principle if there was something comparable. Really fast stuff like Starry will hopefully one day be available in enough markets to put the fear of god in the cable companies. If they don't just lobby Starry down the way broadcast networks did the founder's former company.

ddt – April 26, 2016 05:19PM Reply Quote
Yeah, I'm probably not getting as fast a connection as I could get (I can d/l at up to 1.2MB/s) but I don't stream movies or stuff. But I'm glad to pay sonic.net instead of Comcast or AT&T. And hey, you can call Sonic and get a person!

ddt

John Willoughby – April 27, 2016 07:00AM Reply Quote
My ISP (Charter) got FCC approval to by Time Warner Cable. Chaos no doubt will ensue, though the FCC put some nice requirements on Charter to behave as a condition of the purchase.

AT&T says that they are building out their fiber network to my city, but since it will come through Sacramento and Sacramento is also on the "coming soon" list, I'm not holding my breath. I'd love to kick Charter loose.

Cloudscout – April 27, 2016 01:04PM Reply Quote
CenturyLink has been saying for a couple of years that they're building out gigabit fiber in the Twin Cities but the fastest currently available at my house is 12Mbps. At our other house, the fastest available is 20Mbps.

I envy a friend of mine who lives a few miles away. He lives in an area served by CenturyLink, Comcast AND US Internet. US Internet is a local ISP and they offer 10 gigabit service in his neighborhood. True, nobody needs that in their house and it's several hundred dollars per month but for people that "only" want gigabit service, it's quite cheap. Ironically, that friend worked for Comcast until a year ago. As soon as he quit (and lost his free Internet service as a result) he switched to US Internet.

ARL (Moderator) – April 27, 2016 04:14PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Wow. It's so weird to have faster internet than some of my US based sporkers.

I'm currently getting up to 25Mbps (with the option of up to 100 if I shell out another $30 a month). Keyword "up to" though...

ARL (Moderator) – April 28, 2016 03:53PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

I found this story an interesting take on where true innovation in telecommunication is coming from (small startups, not big players).

El Jeffe – June 02, 2016 01:11PM Reply Quote
What a journey.

John Willoughby – June 02, 2016 01:38PM Reply Quote
El Jeffe
apple service outage
]

apple service outrage

Fixed that for you.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login