Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 04:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 04:54AM by rino.

El Jeffe – April 12, 2015 04:34AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Photos (app) is so screwed up.
I had the highest hopes.
I only wanted to share ONE particular photo. And it can't do it. Not sure why. Just one.
So, I had to take a screenshot of it, and shared that facsimile. And tried a few more after that. SO, Photos app shows just the ONE shared, but now I see from the person's account with which I am sharing, they see six others.

bahamut – May 05, 2015 01:41PM Reply Quote
Moneydance!!!

Yay!!! Moneydance, yay the l'il guys that could.

And big bear diarrhea milkshake for the idiots who decided to store all of your data in … get this… get ready!

/Users//Library/Containers/com.infinitekind.MoneydanceOSX/Data/Documents

Yes, that's right, we store all of your financial data in a place that Apple doesn't feel should be visible to you. We also don't tell you.

So guess what, when I was having problems with my Mac, what did I decide to do? Clean install with no user library. So I lost a few MS templates, whatever. There's nothing of consequence in my user library, right????

ddt – May 05, 2015 02:11PM Reply Quote
Ugh, sorry to hear! Though to be fair, I've seen a lot of things store its data in the "invisible" Library (the have-to-hold-down-Option in the Go menu). Can you find any backup files? I always Save As... every time I balance my monthly.

(And I switched to iBank...)

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – May 05, 2015 03:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
A milkshake also for the iOS weather app. Consistently gets the forecast temperatures wrong by several degrees or more.

How hard is it to fuck up something as simple as that?

Apple maps 2.0

El Jeffe – May 05, 2015 05:42PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ask _______ (climate - ologist)

johnny k – May 05, 2015 05:54PM Reply Quote
Not that I question Apple's directive, but it seems so many apps store data in the user library. Seems that most that don't deal in 'documents' do this. Granted many of them are backed up by the cloud. Related, milkshake for Safari - suddenly it forgot that it was keeping a bunch of my passwords. Thankfully I save all my site passwords in 1password at the same time, so I'm not SOL. Seems to lose the history every couple of months, too.

John Willoughby – May 06, 2015 04:17PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Most finance programs will do automated backups on quitting. I keep a 256-bit encrypted disk image of these backups on the cloud. Yeah, somebody might break in there, but by the time they've gotten that far they have well and truly pwned me already.

Jeff Cooper – May 20, 2015 06:01AM Reply Quote
... Microsoft. The latest Office update, 14.5.0, hosed Outlook on my 2011 iMac running 10.10.3. The program would not display a main window, and, although it was possible to create a new mail message, it would not send or receive mail. A quick check online reveals that I'm not alone in having this problem.

And a swiffie for Time Machine, which made restoration fairy straightforward.

Mokers (Moderator) – May 20, 2015 08:54AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Oh yes, Outlook 2011 has always been terrible. Despite being in Beta, the Office 2016 Preview is much better overall.

ARL (Moderator) – May 20, 2015 03:25PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
What version is outlook in office 365?

ddt – May 20, 2015 03:34PM Reply Quote
It should totally be Outlook 365.

(Speaking of silly marketing or product names, saw a startup last night who's line was something about car buying and selling... ELEVATED. What does "elevated" mean in this context? Like heart rate or cholesterol count?)

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – May 20, 2015 05:43PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
If you have an Office subscription as part of Office 365 (not all plans include it), then you should be able to download the Office 2016 previewhttps://support.office.com/en-us/article/Office-365-release-options-3B3ADFA4-1777-4FF0-B606-FB8732101F47?ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US. In general your Office 365 subscription entitles you to the latest version of Office, whatever that is. I use my home subscription on My office mac because I hate Outlook 2011 so much. I ran a windows VM mainly to run Outlook. Now I only fire the VM up for Visio.

Jeff Cooper – May 21, 2015 06:16AM Reply Quote
I have a personal Office 365 subscription, so I may go that route. Would prefer to muddle through until Office 2016 is released, though.

Jeff Cooper – May 21, 2015 07:19AM Reply Quote
Jeff Cooper
I have a personal Office 365 subscription, so I may go that route. Would prefer to muddle through until Office 2016 is released, though.

My hand may be forced. After working fine yesterday, my restored Outlook is locking up badly today. It stopped responding while I was trying to open a mail message; after a force quit it froze during the reliance; after another force quit and restart, it launched *extrmely* slowly, then gave me lengthy spinning beachballs whenever I tried to do the simplest thing. It's unusable, in other words.

Edited to add: this whole computer has been wonky for the last month or so. Nothing as bad as what I'm experiencing with Outlook, but generally unresponsive. It must know it's due for replacement this summer.

Edited again: I've gone back to Entourage. You know things are bad ....

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/21/2015 07:32AM by Jeff Cooper.

ARL (Moderator) – May 26, 2015 09:37PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Yosemite.

Buggy slow unusable pile of shite...

El Jeffe – August 21, 2015 05:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
iOS 8.x messages
I don't have a data plan. The iOS 8 update results in my messages to be unsent or unreceived.
It's like they all batch up and get sent and received only after I get back to wifi.
I need an SMS-Text message ONLY option or alternate app.

Many similar links. http://tinyurl.com/qdxo594

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/6582897
this short read kind of shows how messed up sms/messages is now.

Cloudscout – August 24, 2015 11:14AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Finally received the TrackR Bravo devices I backed on IndieGoGo. They were supposed to ship back in January but had all sorts of problems.

Unfortunately, they never resolved those problems. These things are absolute garbage. The idea is good and, physically, they look good and feel solid. Functionally? They just don't work.

They're BTLE-based tracking devices... roughly the size of a pet ID tag. You pair them with your Android or iOS device and track them with the TrackR app. They're supposed to have 100ft range.

First, pairing doesn't work very well. Second, once you DO have it paired, that 100 ft range is more like 10ft range. One of the advertised uses is for tracking your pets but even with a clear line of sight, they won't stay connected once my dogs get more than 10 or 15 feet away. The app itself sucks, too. There's a button you can tap to trigger the device's alert but the visual feedback in the app makes it impossible to tell whether you pressed the button and it's just having a hard time trying to connect to the device or if you didn't tap it properly. The "help" options in the app are woefully lacking, too.

To top it off, the guy running the project has been terrible at communicating with his backers.

For the last several months, as these things have slowly trickled out to backers, the reviews have been increasingly negative. I held out hope, though, that the bad reviews were the result of disgruntled backers frustrated by the delays and lack of communication. Sadly, the reviews are accurate. These things just don't do what they are supposed to do.

johnny k – August 24, 2015 12:30PM Reply Quote
It's really disappointing to continually see Bluetooth devices promise the same range that's on the chip's spec sheet. That's the theoretical best case, and certainly doesn't account for the case you put around it, the antenna circuit you pair it with, the environment it's in (probably not line-of-sight!), or the power the developer sets the radio at. They're just setting customers up for disappointment.

And TrackR, they seem to (perhaps unintentionally) be a pyramid scheme. Multiple campaigns before previous ones ship, and the biggest subject of spam I get somehow. Overall I think BLE position trackers are mostly lying about how well they work. BLE is not designed to do that, so you're trusting the developer's triangulation algorithms, I guess.

Cloudscout – August 24, 2015 01:00PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They got a lot of hype after posting a video of them recovering a "stolen" bike a while back. That relied on their crowd-sourced GPS capability which can't possibly work given the fact the range these things have is so limited, the thief himself would need to be running the app in order for it to show up.

johnny k – August 24, 2015 04:39PM Reply Quote
Lol. Forgot about the crowd-sourced GPS claim they all make (and the Vanhawks connected bike, even worse). Even Tile, probably the most successful, can't actually be leaning on that at all. The only way it makes sense is if you left something at your friend's (who also has Tiles) house.

Please appreciate how hard it is to do hardware right when several companies can mess up what is basically a reference design from the Bluetooth chip manufacturer.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login