Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 04:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 04:54AM by rino.

johnny k – August 01, 2014 02:45AM Reply Quote
Mail preferences > Viewing > Use classic layout.

tomierna (Admin) – August 01, 2014 12:16PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
You might rebuild the databases in Mail and iTunes if they are beach-balling.

Rebuilding Mail.app's index.

Rebuilding iTunes' database.

By all means, if you want further interface shenanigans, try Thunderbird. During the first dev preview of Yosemite, IMAP wasn't working properly at all in Mail.app, and I had to use Thunderbird to get any work done at all. It's so, so bad.

Lastly, regarding RAM use, unless you are swapping VM in and out, overall memory usage is a just-about useless statistic these days.

ARL (Moderator) – August 01, 2014 03:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Daniel and JK - thx for those tips but already done.

(and thx for reminding me about the "save as" hack, ddt)

Thx for the database tips Tom - I'll look into those.

There was a little bit of VM swapping but I'll have to do a comparison with the old iMac to find out. So, Thunderbird is also awful - are there any decent mail apps?

(dunno why I'm writing "thx" rather than "thanks" - lazy morning)

bahamut – August 02, 2014 12:10PM Reply Quote
La Cie … why? Because for as long as this company has been in existence, they have made shite.

I replaced one of the disks in my LaCie Big Disk a couple of months ago and it's dead already. Total shite. Meanwhile my Synology, which is spun up 24/7 hasn't had a hiccup yet. Insanity. Maybe the idea of a Thunderbolt external was a mistake and I need to find something else. Somewhere in the basement I had a firewire RAID array that, if I recall, never failed, maybe I'll drag that out again …

ARL (Moderator) – August 02, 2014 04:09PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
LaCie are awful. The only failed drives I've had belong to that miserable lot.

Jeff Cooper – August 03, 2014 07:12AM Reply Quote
I have a La Cie external hard drive from 1990 (a gigantic 40 MB) that still works, knock wood. It's attached to my Mac SE in all its System 6.0.5 glory. But I've had a couple of more recent (like within the last four years) La Cie external drives fail as well. I won't buy another.

ddt – August 05, 2014 08:15AM Reply Quote
Oh my GOD google groups is so awful. Trying to use it w/o "logging in to your account" is a mess and contradictory and user-unfriendly. First of all, this (https://support.google.com/groups/answer/46438?hl=en) is kind of a lie. And it keeps pestering you to log in, and is unusable for basic functionality (can email to group, can't see previous content DESPITE the support note, can't see archived docs in browser). If they were just honest about the forced march and said "you can only use google groups if you have a google account", that'd at least make some sense to the user.

ddt

Cloudscout – August 27, 2014 02:14PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
UPS My Choice.

When they tell me that the Estimated Delivery Time for my package is between 11:30 AM and 3:30 PM, I can be sure it's not going to arrive before 5:00 PM. It is now 6:15 PM and I'm still waiting.

El Jeffe – August 27, 2014 03:41PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
that's why I have a UPS box (formerly Mailboxes Etc). Plus, I like to chat with the workers.

Cloudscout – August 27, 2014 04:27PM Reply Quote
8:25 PM and still no package. Their customer "service" person assured me that my package would be delivered today. I'm pretty sure it's going to be subject to one of their infamous "delivery exceptions".

The weather here today was as perfect as weather gets. 77°F and sunny all day. There were no significant traffic incidents in the Twin Cities area today. It's not a high-volume shipping season either. In other words, absolutely no excuse for missing delivery today.

El Jeffe – August 28, 2014 03:15AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'd call in sick if I lived in the deep snow belt with THAT kind of weather. Counter intuitive to your logic, perhaps?

bahamut – September 25, 2014 05:28PM Reply Quote
Intuit.

I'm stressed because my taxes are long overdue. I don't mean my 2013 taxes, I mean 2012. The reason is simple: I'm not only overloaded, I'm scarred by the experience of working with Quicken for 15 years, of having balances that couldn't reconcile not because of some problem in the entry, but simply because Quicken literally couldn't do the one thing it had to do well, e.g. add, of having mysterious file corruption, of having constant battles, and so on. So I have avoided taxes when I shouldn't have. Now I dread the letter from the IRS (I have received it twice before and dealt with matters then) and am trying to catch up. The funny thing is that it's all psychological now. Moneydance is a joy to work with. Fast, accurate, and it generally doesn't fuck up. Unlike Quicken. I'm sure I've paid many thousands in penalties due to the problems that Quicken has caused me. Go to hell Intuit. Go to hell.

John Willoughby – September 25, 2014 06:48PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Yep. Moneydance was a revelation, and then I moved onto SEE Finance. Best thing Intuit ever did for me was kill their electronic banking for the Mac Quicken. Forced me to move on and discover much, much better software.

johnny k – September 26, 2014 05:31AM Reply Quote
I'm very much like Baha. Nowadays I have an accountant who does a really good job once I give him all the docs, and gets me out of trouble. But I'd love a finances program that isn't a chore and does a good job of 1) keeping me abreast of cash flow and budget, and 2) does some tax prep. Either of those do it for you, John?

John Willoughby – September 26, 2014 06:35AM Reply Quote
To be honest, I couldn't tell you. I have a simple economy; just electronically update my accounts and I am happy. It was failure to do that that moved me off of Quicken. No businesses to run, no complex tax situations.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 06:36AM by John Willoughby.

Cloudscout – September 26, 2014 07:06AM Reply Quote
I'm marrying an accountant.

johnny k – September 26, 2014 07:09AM Reply Quote
I've never experienced an app that pulls from my banks automatically... that alone could be awesome. Can it do transfers? I hate having to use my banks' websites.

CS - that's what I used to say. Never wanted to deal with this crap. Instead I got someone worse at it than me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/26/2014 07:10AM by johnny k.

Cloudscout – September 26, 2014 07:17AM Reply Quote
I wasn't being facetious. My fiance is an accountant.

ddt – September 26, 2014 07:37AM Reply Quote
Count me amongst those who see a cost/benefit analysis that points towards "collect the documents and send them somewhere".

Yes, it'd be great to have these pdfs you can (after passing through many hoops) download from your bank's web site automatically entered into your bookkeeping application. I'm sure there's some privacy regulations that made sense at some point, but they do release the data.

Ironically, that's a regular hurdle data journalists have to overcome. So many giant private and public databases can be gotten for access, but they tend to be pdfs of hundreds of thousands of entries -- one holy grail in this field is a way to automate data extraction for analysis. I know some people who've worked on (to varying degrees of success) this problem for years. Cities don't have the resources to create new databases and parse and re-enter the data, corporations couldn't give a shit.

ddt

John Willoughby – September 26, 2014 09:51AM Reply Quote
johnny k
I've never experienced an app that pulls from my banks automatically... that alone could be awesome. Can it do transfers?

I think so. I usually have the bank's website open when I am doing my finances, so I use that. The trick is setting up your bank in the software, and all of your credit cards, eTrade, whatever else you have. When I used Moneydance, there had just been some kind of shakeup in Intuit's protocols (which MD was piggybacking on) and it was a real pain to get accounts working electronically. The situation was improving and I'm sure is fine now. It was easier in SEE Finance, back when I switched.

http://infinitekind.com/moneydance
http://www.scimonocesoftware.com/seefinance/features.html

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login