Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 04:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 04:54AM by rino.

bahamut – May 17, 2014 06:14AM Reply Quote
Fuck Netgear and their cheap ass shit.

I bought a $250 Netgear 24 port Gigabit smart switch last year. This is meant to be the beating heart of my structured media cabinet.

Earlier this spring half my ethernet ports went dead, the ones by my desk and the ones by the TV. Okey. So I wired them THAT badly? Luckily all the ports for my wifi routers were still working so I just switched to those, even though it meant that Roku would lock up from time to time.

Yesterday I got back into the guts of the the thing and found out that all of my wiring was fine. It turned out that half the ports on the Netgear were dead.

Simple enough, I'll call up the web interface and see if there is something off.

Oopps, it's not there. Ooops, it's not responding to the damned PC only discovery program.

Alright, time to call tech support.

Since the product was purchased more than 90 days ago, it is supported only on a per fee basis.

90 days?!

Goddamnit, fuck you Netgear, you fucking fucks. You coprophiles!

ddt – May 17, 2014 06:50AM Reply Quote
Aw, I've missed you, Baha. Sorry for the pain in your weasel butt, but your recent sunshine-y posts just were lacking in Bahaitude.

ddt

bahamut – May 17, 2014 07:13AM Reply Quote
:)

John Willoughby – May 17, 2014 09:10AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
I think that the NSA reserves 12 ports for their use.

dharlow – May 17, 2014 01:46PM Reply Quote
I use the Netgear business switches which have 24x7 phone support and a lifetime warranty. Only ever needed one replaced and they overnighted it. Are you sure you have a smart switch and not one of their consumer level ones?

bahamut – May 19, 2014 04:27AM Reply Quote
I guess mine is one of those too, GS724Tv3. I hate those guys already though. I've got a Cisco on the way.

bahamut – May 19, 2014 01:06PM Reply Quote
Goddamn you, you godforsaken semen sippers. I was on hold twice with Netgear and you know what?

Here's to you Netgear, and to the sausage party that you call tech support.

I got the Cisco switch. Christ almighty, it's big. Oh jesus. OH JESUS! Help me lord. How the hell am I supposed to fit this into my structured media cabinet. I dunno. So I pulled out the Netgear, and, in doing so, I dropped it on the fucking concrete basement floor. You can guess what happened next.

El Jeffe – May 19, 2014 01:36PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i can poop with help from some

johnny k – May 19, 2014 05:55PM Reply Quote
My wife gets to help people poop. Better not be you, Bill.
Bahamut, I'll buy two tickets if you ever do standup.

bahamut – May 20, 2014 03:25AM Reply Quote
Yes, that's right. Now the Netgear works. Every few months I will have to preemptively drop it on the concrete.

In other news, my goddamn Celestron telescope's AUX port is dead. Dead! Just like everything made in China. Just like we will all be soon.

How did I find this out? Well, I suggested it based on a series of diagnostic procedures that I developed. They were of no use until I figured that out. The good folks at tech support told me that it was the motor board since that was where the aux ports were (can't see em in the photo, they are on the other side, the support guy said). I nearly ordered the goddamned thing but in looking for what other things I could find online, I noticed there was a separate motherboard for the aux ports. Great, so I nearly ordered the wrong board. Thangs guys. Well thangs!!!!

Alan Lehman – May 21, 2014 04:34PM Reply Quote
Not to steal any of your thunder Baha, but, I can completely sympathize. I'm sorry to hear their stuff hasn't gotten any better since my last piece of their gear 'departed'.

bahamut – May 22, 2014 02:47AM Reply Quote
How sad that your image is gone! Can't remember it.

YDD – June 04, 2014 03:53AM Reply Quote
DevOps in general. In particular
    [*] Builds which fail for no discernable reason
    [*] QFEs which come in so hot they miss the build
    [*] Batch files which fail without providing logging
And in general... things which lead to me getting four hours of sleep, before having to tidy up the rest of the mess.

ARL (Moderator) – June 22, 2014 07:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Live Mail 2011...

What a piece of shite. How the hell do you get it to read inline images or inline signature images normally rather than as a "slideshow"? Oh, you can't. Grrr...

Oh, I know there's some way if you have it locked down in a html email but that defeats the purpose of email.

Speaking of defeating the purpose of email, is Outlook for Mac worth the effort of installing for better "compatibility" with my Windows using buddies?

Pros/cons greatly appreciated!

dharlow – June 22, 2014 09:09PM Reply Quote
What are you using today?

ARL (Moderator) – June 22, 2014 10:45PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Apple Mail on OS X 10.6

ARL (Moderator) – July 30, 2014 07:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Biffy-sized shakes for:

Apple, Apple Mail, OS X Mavericks, iTunes and the entire Mac ecosystem.

My shiny new iMac has been a slow buggy mess. The UI of Mavericks (and Lion & Mountain Lion for that matter) is a clusterfuck.

1) The inconsistency with Apple having their "duplicate/rename/move" instead of "save as" that all other sane apps still use is confusing as hell.

2) Now most of the clickable top area of document windows - instead of allowing you to click/drag and move them - now pops up an annoying "rename/move/tag" box

3) The teensy thin "peekaboo" scrollbars than make incremental scrolling all but impossible (and don't tell me "oh if you use the 'reverse-shocker' finger gesture one the trackpad you can scroll" - I use a trackball dammit!) it's like "ooh you wanna scroll? here let's jump a whole page for ya!")

4) The "enhanced" viewer window for Apple mail that hides new mail in random conversations so I often miss them. That's when Mail isn't giving my the beachball of death. Time for Thunderbird?

5) iTunes is an unresponsive mess that I need to force quit every time I shut down the machine.

6) 8 GB of RAM and yet all of it gets swallowed by day-to-day stuff. I've ordered 16GB more but I'm worried it'll just gobble up whatever it can.

Who comes up with these completely useless arbitrary changes? Are Apple and Microsoft (with windows 8) having some secret bet about how much they can f**k their user baser?

This has completely has killed my workflow. I want Snow Leopard to run on this new machine please Apple.

The only plus so far is Windows 7 runs much better on Parallels (guess that quad-core is good for something) -- so much so I'm half considering booting into it permanently.

Eat a bag of syphilis-riddled dicks, Apple.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/30/2014 07:33PM by Tony Leggett.

bahamut – July 31, 2014 03:41AM Reply Quote
Wait until random password disorder hits you in Yosemite.

dharlow – July 31, 2014 04:40PM Reply Quote
Tony -

Not that this will help everything but under General turn the scrollbars to show always.

Daniel

ddt – July 31, 2014 06:23PM Reply Quote
And I've been soooo happy to have found this hack: http://osxdaily.com/2012/08/27/enable-save-as-os-x-mountain-lion/

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login