Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 04:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 04:54AM by rino.

bahamut – January 25, 2008 02:55AM Reply Quote

In Terminal you can run "dscacheutil -flushcache" and you should be able to get to Google again when that happens.

I can imagine explaining that to my wife. I had to toss her ichat prefs so she could see me again.

As for paste and match style… my point is that I love the ability to include css-formatted clips in email, I just don't understand why there isn't a "normal text" button so that you could type a little message above or below. How hard is that? The whole interface is probably based on Tinymce or something.

UX is not their strong point.

SoupIsGood Food – January 27, 2008 02:21PM Reply Quote
Ubuntu 7.10. So, so, so not ready for prime time. I have to rebuild a kernel, run a special automated hex editor program on a windows binary to "cut" the driver code out to slap it into a Linux franken-driver? For something as common as a Belkin wireless card?

This is after a day banging my head against the "But it just works! What are you doing wrong?" mentality trying to get the ndis-driver system to work right. Here's a hint, kids... if I'm able to do something wrong, it doesn't "just work."

I can see the card as eth1, the card can see the base station, but it won't pull a DHCP lease and configuring as static was a no-go... and why the hell was it configured with an IPv6 address? Disable IPv6 (if I need to break out vi, you've failed as a user-friendly desktop operating system) and start tinkering with the modprobe.d config files. I finally gave up, and asked a deeper guru, who told me of the hell and horror of the bmc driver, which is the road down which I must now travel.

And =this= is after the installer failed completely. Froze without an error as soon as I got to the part where it wants to re-size the Windowz partition and re-partition the drive. I gave up and used gpartd to do it by hand, and the command line to format the new partition. Not good enough, F--.

And this is the easiest, most user friendly, widely supported Linux? I mean, the crap system I'm using is ancient, admittedly, but a Dell Presario laptop and a Belkin 54g are about as common pieces of hardware you'll find from their time period. This shit should be nailed down hard, and the distro should install its own damn drivers. Grr.

SoupIsGood Food

tomierna (Admin) – January 27, 2008 02:46PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Care to write that up with a MacOSX comparison/contrast?

John Willoughby – January 27, 2008 08:46PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
You're right, Soup. I've been trying to get xubuntu working on the eeePC. Things that are supposed to work, don't. Things that do work, work differently than expected. Fighting to get WPA wireless working got me fed up, and I put OS X on it. Wireless also doesn't work there, but at least I know the OS!

SoupIsGood Food – January 28, 2008 05:26AM Reply Quote
Tom: Yeah. I might just do that.

Mac users have a commercial driver that will work with damn near any wireless card... and I'd gladly pay 15 bucks to get my Saturday afternoon back. Sometimes you need to pay programmers to get them to eat their spinach and take out the trash and not work on another Yahoo Instant Messenger library for Lua or somehing. The Linux freaks would rather gnaw their own testicles off than pay for system software of any stripe. That's fine, but ain't nobody I know has had a good time with wireless on Linux (except the ones who shelled out for Mac Books to run linux on... Aetheros has open-sourced their drivers.) Mac users will gladly pay a few bucks for useful or fun software, and I think that's a difference in the quality of software between the two platforms. Mac stuff has fewer rough edges than Linux, because programmers get paid to polish them.

SoupIsGood Food

John Willoughby – January 28, 2008 07:17AM Reply Quote
OS X on the eeePC refuses to load the Orangeware preference panel. A pity, because it would probably work if I could set it up.

Simon – January 28, 2008 02:35PM Reply Quote

(except the ones who shelled out for Mac Books to run linux on... Aetheros has open-sourced their drivers.)

That's interesting. I'm surprised that didn't come up when that wireless hack debacle was going on last year. I'd have thought it would make the cards more secure.

Curtis – February 09, 2008 04:50PM Reply Quote
Yet another Seagate drive shipped with the Mac Pros I watch over.

This time it was the startup drive in my home machine. Mechanical failure, but not complete, was able to recover my data but the drive was otherwise unusable.

I've had like 10 of these die at work. Apple must have gotten a really bad batch of drives, or Seagate just really sucks?

bahamut – February 10, 2008 08:55AM Reply Quote
Apple, for yet another fuck up.

You can't reset Leopard Server if you want to rebuild your server BUT you also can't just "Archive and install" with the installer. Oh no, you can only ERASE and install.

WTF, Chuck?

Dr. Strangelove – February 12, 2008 10:43AM Reply Quote
Programs like Pages and Excel that can't seem to open a file without marking it "dirty" and asking the user whether he or she wants to save nonexistent changes on quitting. What's up with that?

Curtis – February 12, 2008 04:54PM Reply Quote
Ok... anyone know why Vista Business (32-bit) on my Mac Pro (2.66Ghz) only shows 2042MB of ram instead of the installed 4GB?

It should show at least 3GB according to most sites...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 04:57PM by Curtis.

Mighty Mouse – February 12, 2008 05:25PM Reply Quote
I thought the 32-bit limit was 2 GB?

Don't know where I saw that and can't find it now. But 3 GB seems like an odd number.

Curtis – February 12, 2008 05:56PM Reply Quote
I'm reading online that 4GB is the 32-bit limit, but Windows should show 3GB.

Reading a few things online about Mac Pros specifically, it looks like I may need to get the 64bit version anyways. Wonder how performance is...

John Willoughby – February 13, 2008 03:59PM Reply Quote
A cow-orker at my former job runs Boot Camp with 64-bit Windows Server 2003. He got the drivers from various places on the net and is quite happy with it (for Windows).

bahamut – February 16, 2008 05:31AM Reply Quote
Steve.
Just because Apple is so much not what it's supposed to be.

Well, specifically because two could-be-much-better Apple products—FrontRow and Airtunes—don't work together. No way to do remote streaming to speakers from FrontRow. Wha?

Curtis – February 17, 2008 02:56PM Reply Quote
Re: Windows RAM.

PAE didn't fix it. There's some other bug...

Cloudscout – February 17, 2008 03:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Apple.

The more I think about and research this video card problem, the more angry I get.

There are so many reports across the web of people having the exact same problem I'm having with the X1900 video card on the Mac Pro... the fact that the guy at the Genius Bar today just played dumb and pretended that he hadn't heard of the problem infuriates me.

If I have to shell out an additional $399 to replace this card on a machine that's only 3 months past its warranty, that will be the end of my relationship with Apple. Yeah, I understand that warranties have limits for a reason, however, I had no way of knowing there was a problem with my card until I installed Leopard and by then it was out of warranty.

Seriously. I'm so furious about this. I'll be making some phone calls and sending some emails this week to see what I can do (a kind Sporker has offered to look into it and see if he can help). If I can't get the issue resolved, though, that's the end. I paid $2900 for this thing 15 months ago. If Apple won't fix a widespread flaw in their products, I have no use for them. I'll put all of my Macs on eBay and I'll just have to get used to Windows again.

tliet – February 17, 2008 03:56PM Reply Quote
CS, is this the problem you're having?

Have you thought about getting a PC videocard and reflashing it for the Mac?

Cloudscout – February 17, 2008 06:54PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
It's not the same symptoms. Here is a screenshot someone posted on the Apple forums that shows exactly what the symptoms are on my system:

http://homepage.mac.com/davidlh/bad-1900.jpg

There's no shortage of examples if you search for "X1900 horizontal lines" or "Mac Pro x1900" or "Mac Pro horizontal lines".

Is it possible to reflash any of the PC cards to work on Mac Pro systems right now?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2008 06:55PM by Cloudscout.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login