Spork Boards

Milkshakes for...

rino's Avatar Picture rino – December 11, 2007 09:54AM Reply Quote
Generally miffed at something? Let the world know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/11/2007 09:54AM by rino.

ARL (Moderator) – November 21, 2017 07:42PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
When this is over we'll have to go back to just reading books...

Cloudscout – November 21, 2017 09:16PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I was just listening to the first thing I ever downloaded from Audible. It was Robin Williams interviewing John Lasseter.

johnny k – November 21, 2017 09:32PM Reply Quote
Are you kidding, ARL? Authors are nearly universally horrible people. I don't know exactly how to draw the line, but as a fan of music, basketball and Apple, I've had a lot of practice thinking about the assholes who make things I enjoy. I will enjoy their work while condemning their actions, learn about what makes them great and not put them on a pedestal, and be glad I'm not in a position to have to mete out justice.

ARL (Moderator) – November 21, 2017 10:55PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

I don't know exactly how to draw the line

Me too. As a general rule I try to separate the "crazy in real life" from "compelling on screen" but there's grey area where I think no, I don't want to support this.

For eg Roman Polanski = no, Woody Allen = maybe?

Maybe there needs to be a new "creepy/rapey" rating system for actors/directors/producers involved in all content?

The golden age of TV/Film seems to be turning into a polished turd...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/21/2017 10:56PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – November 22, 2017 06:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
johnny k
Are you kidding, ARL? Authors are nearly universally horrible people. I don't know exactly how to draw the line, but as a fan of music, basketball and Apple, I've had a lot of practice thinking about the assholes who make things I enjoy. I will enjoy their work while condemning their actions, learn about what makes them great and not put them on a pedestal, and be glad I'm not in a position to have to mete out justice.

aka HUMAN...

I agree somewhat. And it kind of plays to the saying "Don't meet your heroes" saying. But, ddt was not a bad guy in person AFTERALL! :) :)

ARL (Moderator) – May 04, 2018 11:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
iTunes...

I imported a CD today (how late 90s of me, I know...) and it half imported the correct details for the songs. I have the song name, but "various artists" or blank for the rest.

Manually entering these details then created an album for each individual song.

So now, I'm listening to the album(s) as I manually correct the metadata and try to beat them back into one compilation.

"It just works" really doesn't...

John Willoughby – May 14, 2018 09:39AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ARL (Moderator) – May 31, 2018 09:13PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Amazon...

The reasons for it's decision to geo-block is purely ideological, not technological.

Roger – June 14, 2018 12:57PM Reply Quote
It's 2018 and they still haven't fixed the Finder.

I got a Drobo to replace an aging single-disk backup drive. Apple's only suggested method for migrating Time Machine backups is to drag and drop in the Finder. But the Finder's weirdly broken copy process is totally unable to manage copying a terabyte of backups — after 36 hours it's still "preparing to copy" and hasn't moved a byte of data. So that's a nonstarter. Meanwhile option 2, using cp -a from the command line, for some reason makes Time Machine backups swell to many times their original size. So I'm now using a third-party freeware tool — SuperDuper — to do something that ought to be much easier than this for a consumer OS to manage.

Mokers (Moderator) – June 14, 2018 01:07PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Apple hiring the dev of Super Duper or Carbon Copy Cloner and integrating that functionality in the OS would be miles better than any improvement we saw at WWDC.

John Willoughby – June 14, 2018 02:45PM Reply Quote
Super Duper is well-named.

ARL (Moderator) – June 15, 2018 02:00AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Seconded.

I got the paid version.

El Jeffe – June 15, 2018 12:04PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
there is a version they PAY YOU to use?

YDD – June 15, 2018 07:33PM Reply Quote
Roger
It's 2018 and they still haven't fixed the Finder.

I got a Drobo to replace an aging single-disk backup drive. Apple's only suggested method for migrating Time Machine backups is to drag and drop in the Finder. But the Finder's weirdly broken copy process is totally unable to manage copying a terabyte of backups — after 36 hours it's still "preparing to copy" and hasn't moved a byte of data. So that's a nonstarter. Meanwhile option 2, using cp -a from the command line, for some reason makes Time Machine backups swell to many times their original size. So I'm now using a third-party freeware tool — SuperDuper — to do something that ought to be much easier than this for a consumer OS to manage.
Does not help with your problem, but I suspect both issues might be due to Time Machine's hard directory links. It's been a while since I last tried, but I believe I once got "Empty Trash" into a nasty loop by trying to delete a Time Machine backup. These days, I just start a fresh backup.

John Willoughby – June 15, 2018 08:12PM Reply Quote
I hope that gets better with APFS, if they ever update Time Machine for it. Maybe they have already, and I just didn't notice.

El Jeffe – July 18, 2018 04:11AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Bought two HP ENVY laptops. My son in Michigan's practically exploded last night on him. Burst the main/bottom and shattered the screen/touch glass. Now I fear the other one might do same with calamitous outcome.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 18, 2018 08:16AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
That is really bad. Hope everybody is ok

John Willoughby – July 18, 2018 10:04AM Reply Quote
Are they still under warranty? I know that you'll follow up aggressively. I hope that they'll buy back the one that didn't detonate; you'll never feel safe around that one again.

El Jeffe – July 19, 2018 04:19AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Son lives out of state. Frys is here. I must get him to package it back up and ship it to me.

https://imgur.com/a/aXrqyla

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login