Spork Boards

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 01:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

John Willoughby – November 21, 2010 09:29AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Yeah, Gibson's going in kind of a weird direction with his Bigend books. I still enjoy his writing, but at the end of the story I find myself not really caring about the events he describes. Interesting characters, doing mildly interesting things, in pursuit of things that I completely do not care about.

I think that Gibson must be obsessed with Apple, this last decade, given the nature of his recent books.

El Jeffe – November 22, 2010 03:08PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Finished Pride/Prejudice/Zombies.
Frankly, it seemed a little FORCED to keep working the Zs into the PnPs.
I wasn't sad to finish it. But I'm glad I finally did.
Since then, I tore through Woodward's Obama's War.

1. People that run for the Presidency are NUTS! Presidents go through so much crap and torture.
2. Never thought I'd say this, but Woodward revealed some stories about Obama that makes me have at least some positive opinion on him.
3. The book makes out the military as somewhat perpetuating their own value. But who in their right mind wants to be held liable should any of their negative doomsday scenarios comes to pass?

The Woodward books are easy cheesy to get through and this one is nearly 'current events'.

El Jeffe – November 22, 2010 03:28PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Oh, and I did find out they ran a simulated nuke-ing of Indianapolis...
http://www.bing.com/search?q=coopex+indianapolis&go=&form=QBRE&qs=n&sk=

ARL (Moderator) – November 22, 2010 06:15PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Jeffe,

Did you read Woodward's book about Bush?

(Haven't read either myself)

El Jeffe – November 23, 2010 12:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I am forging through all his recent books. I just read Plan of Attack (Bush). And have Bush at War in the batter's box. Did Kitty Kelley's Bus Dynasty, too. Spoken From the Heart, Laura Bush. Started Reflections Barbara Bush yesterday. I'm sure I'm forgetting something.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – November 23, 2010 08:16AM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
My Pet Goat?

John Willoughby – November 23, 2010 10:39AM Reply Quote
The Decider Insider? Dick Cheney's Guide to the Sith?

ARL (Moderator) – November 23, 2010 01:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
The Decider Insider? Dick Cheney's Guide to the Sith?

You have a gift, JW...

El Jeffe – November 24, 2010 10:16AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
About halfway through this.

http://www.amazon.com/Presidents-Secret-Service-Behind-Protect/dp/0307461351

Not very well written or edited. But has a few interesting insights into recent Presidents and their wives/families/mistresses.

It's a very jaundiced eye look at the 'job' of a secret service agent. Mostly, complaining about what you and I complain about at our jobs.
The most interesting story was a psychic that had a premonition about Bush41 getting killed. Long story short, she was right about so many things, that the SS decided to change plans on the last detail she had predicted. I see that searching the web there are already plenty of mentions...

http://www.bing.com/search?q=bush+assassination+psychic&form=APMCS1

El Jeffe – December 08, 2010 03:25AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
About finished with Paris 1919 - 6 months that changed the world
If you want to understand more about WWI to today, this is a nice tidy package of a pivotal moment. Strangely, two items from my day yesterday covered/mentioned David Lloyd George. The All Things Considered (BBC Wales) annual book review from Sunday covers him, as does this Paris 1919.

This 1919 book would do nicely for a mandatory school curriculum.

I'll be starting Christopher Hitchens "Hitch-22" today, more than likely.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/08/2010 03:27AM by El Jeffe.

ddt – December 08, 2010 09:35AM Reply Quote
Sounds cool, Bill -- thanks.

There's also Tony Judt's massive "Postwar", about Europe after WWII. He has a viewpoint, no doubt, but it's hard to characterize, and that's a hell of a lot of research he did, and I bet most Americans have no idea what it was like there for decades in many countries.

On a lighter note, if you want audio books, I recommend "Bedwetter" and Craig Ferguson's memoir, both done by the authors. Bill, I think you'd like the latter.

ddt

El Jeffe – December 08, 2010 10:04AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Thanks ddt - I'll put those on the stack.

John Willoughby – December 08, 2010 10:15AM Reply Quote
I read Ferguson's memoir, and found it more interesting for his descriptions of life in 60's and 70's Glasgow than for his later life. It was also a little mawkish about his parents, but they did both die while he was writing the book, so I can completely understand that. Given how wild he was as a teen, he must have been quite a trial for them. At least they lived to see him get clean and make a new start of it.

I love his show. He's deranged.

El Jeffe – December 11, 2010 12:14PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Hitchens put this article in the book (Hitch-22). I found it touching. Having never read VF nor Hitchens, I did not know what to expect.
http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2007/11/hitchens200711

ARL (Moderator) – December 11, 2010 01:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Hitchens comparing himself with Yeats? Goebbels would be closer to the mark - especially his pro-war screeds branding anyone against the Iraq invasion a traitor.

I'd have more respect for Hitchens if he might concede, with the benefit of hindsight, that the whole Iraq thing was a bad idea...

El Jeffe – December 11, 2010 03:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Again, I had never even heard of him until someone last year asked if I'd heard he got esophagus cancer. Regardless of this or that, I feel for everybody that has to go through this crap.
Almost done with his book. At least I can say I know something about him now.

ARL (Moderator) – December 11, 2010 05:09PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Sorry, wrong thread for my rant...

Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 13, 2010 06:21PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
I'm enjoying the audiobook version of the new Terry Pratchett book I Shall Wear Midnight. Recommend to all discworld fans.

Steve Cordova – December 14, 2010 09:00PM Reply Quote
History passes the first time as tragedy, the second time as farts. - Roy Edroso
I just finished the hardback version. I tried getting my niece interested in the "Tiffany Aching" books, but she couldn't get into them. Something about being silly. Such a serious 10 year old.

ARL (Moderator) – December 16, 2010 06:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
You mean "noo as wee a wee-sized jock, but smaller than medium-sized jock, jock" isn't a serious statement? :-)

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login