Spork Boards

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 01:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

John Willoughby – September 16, 2017 08:12PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Oh, the thylacines were in The Peripheral. I read that almost three years ago; had forgotten about them beasties. Looks like Gibson's next isn't due for more than a year... though I ought to read Archangel. I bought it on comixology, but never read past the first issue.

James DeBenedetti – September 16, 2017 08:12PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
Damn, does he have a new one out? I missed it.

Well, The Peripheral came out two years ago, so I don't know if you'd call it new, but it's his latest. The next one is due in January.

On a related tangent, did you know Denis Villeneuve (Sicario, Arrival, Blade Runner 2049) will be directing the remake of Dune - probably as a trilogy; possibly also for TV?

johnny k – September 17, 2017 03:41AM Reply Quote
That's awesome. I'd watch it. Didn't see the original.
Okay, the Peripheral is on my list now.

ARL (Moderator) – September 17, 2017 04:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I really need to finish the Sprawl series. Halfway through Count Zero still. I have it and Mona Lisa Overdrive patiently waiting on my kindle...

Bruce Robertson – September 17, 2017 08:44PM Reply Quote
Saw Mother!
Glad I went, stuck it out to end, but damn that is one seriously harsh movie.

johnny k – September 23, 2017 12:18PM Reply Quote
Alright, Snow Crash was great. Mostly for the tongue-in-cheek trope-athon that boiled down the essence of near-future America. (Unless it's just been so dated that only my reading of it is ironic.) And sure, for the usual wild fusion of ideas. I'm starting to get that Stephenson doesn't really care about endings, not that he's trying and failing at them. Looking for the movie staring the baby of Donald Glover and Masi Oka (Hiro from Heroes, natch).

On to Gibson.

James DeBenedetti – September 23, 2017 06:12PM Reply Quote
I loved Snow Crash, but Gibson is different. More mature and more... worldly. He has the same focus on fashion that Stephenson has on technology.

ARL (Moderator) – September 23, 2017 07:14PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The few books of Gibson's I've read I find him the opposite of writers like GRRM.

George RR Martin may take two or three pages describing the minutiae and whatnot of a scene where Gibson might take a sentence or two. Yet those sentences will be more visceral and vivid. He hates to waste a word.

James DeBenedetti – September 23, 2017 07:38PM Reply Quote
The sky above the port was the color of television, tuned to a dead channel.

One of the best opening lines ever... now entirely meaningless to the young.

ARL (Moderator) – September 23, 2017 09:27PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

He closed his eyes.
Round the ridged face of the powerstud.
And in the bloodlit dark behind his eyes, silver phosphenes boiling in from the edge of space, hypnagogic images jerking past like film compiled from random frames. Symbols, figures, faces, a blurred, fragmented mandala of visual information.
Please, he prayed, now
A gray disk, the color of Chiba sky.
Now -
Disk beginning to rotate, faster, becoming a sphere of paler gray. Expanding -
And flowed, flowered for him, fluid neon origami trick, the unfolding of his distanceless home, his country, transparent 3D chessboard extending to infinity. Inner eye opening to the stepped scarlet pyramid of the Eastern Seaboard Fission Authority burning beyond the green cubes of Mitsubishi Bank of America, and high and very far away he saw the spiral arms of military systems, forever beyond his reach.
And somewhere he was laughing, in a white-painted loft, distant fingers caressing the deck, tears of release streaking his face.

John Willoughby – September 24, 2017 10:32AM Reply Quote
He listened to the piped koto music and waited. Twenty minutes, then gravity came down on him like a great soft hand with bones of ancient stone.

Cloudscout – October 01, 2017 06:14AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
johnny k
Alright, Snow Crash was great. Mostly for the tongue-in-cheek trope-athon that boiled down the essence of near-future America. (Unless it's just been so dated that only my reading of it is ironic.) And sure, for the usual wild fusion of ideas. I'm starting to get that Stephenson doesn't really care about endings, not that he's trying and failing at them. Looking for the movie staring the baby of Donald Glover and Masi Oka (Hiro from Heroes, natch).

No movie... Amazon is doing a Snow Crash TV series instead.

johnny k – November 05, 2017 07:40PM Reply Quote
Peripheral was great. What a trip, the way he throws you into the bizarre nature of the future world, or at least the 1% of it. Yeah, I see the attention paid to fashion, and I think that's a pretty good way to illustrate a future world. I didn't expect it to be so poppy, but I've got the taste for Gibson now.
Then I read Warren Ellis, super hard-boiled with a touch of, as they say, near-futurism. Funny reference to Twine, and it being delivered late, fake humble brag. I didn't even know I aspired to have my creation play a pivotal part in a novel.
Then read The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms by N.K. Jemisin. I had meant to pick up The Fifth Season, but this was good fantasy, original in style and (more or less) story.

John Willoughby – November 06, 2017 10:34AM Reply Quote
Pretty cool tie-in with Ellis, johnny!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login