Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 01:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

El Jeffe – June 22, 2014 04:37PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I have not read this, but thought product people might be interested

http://www.amazon.com/BREAKING-TM-Product-Designers-Portfolio/dp/0983664315

ddt – June 22, 2014 06:35PM Reply Quote
Hm, thanks. I'm not sure of her creds, but if this shows up used or on Powell's, I might check it out. That happens to be a hot topic on sites such as boxesandarrows, usabilitycounts, medium, and other places. But maybe she has a unique insight or a template.

ddt

johnny k – August 10, 2014 12:10PM Reply Quote
I got the Legends anthology (and the second one) to get a GRRM fix with the Dunk and Egg stories. The bundling did it's job... I read a couple of the other stories, including a prequel to the Wheel of Time series, which I could swear I've heard some of you talk about. Now I'm hungry for more.

Previously, devoured the MaddAddam trilogy (I get most of my reading material from my wife's Kindle account). So fucking good, and depressingly real.

ARL (Moderator) – September 17, 2014 05:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – September 17, 2014 07:09PM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
Oh, yes. He really idolized a New England that never existed, with god-like Anglo-Saxons building a civilization in the wilderness. The concept of pure, noble blood runs all through his stories, as well as debased, savage people of lesser caste. To be fair, though, those weren't unique views in the 1920's; it was a much more prejudiced time. Most people in his class would have looked down on Jews, Irish, Southern and Eastern Europeans, anybody with any kind of African or Asian ancestry, etc. It doesn't excuse his beliefs, though.

I treat it in the same way that I deal with Jefferson owning slaves, and having children with one them. I can't overlook the contributions that the guy made just because he wasn't strong enough to shake the prejudices of his times. But I don't forget his failings, and he will always carry that burden for me.

ddt – September 17, 2014 08:03PM Reply Quote
If you read through Warren Ellis' "Planetary" comics series, Lovecraft shows up in a side story or two, and he's obviously racist (Ellis indulges his less subtle side by having Lovecraft assume these trans-dimensional eggs that appear are, of course, how Africa-Americans reproduce). This was the vector by which Lovecraft and his creations entered that fictional universe (Lovecraft was their "fiction suit").

Also, if you read "The Black Dossier", which is part of Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen graphic novels (What's that you say? A movie? Nono, that can't be right. It CANNOT BE RIGHT.), there's a great text piece wherein Bertie and Wooster run afoul of these creations, too.

ddt

johnny k – October 14, 2014 07:29AM Reply Quote
I gotta recommend the Legends anthologies... made me go and get American Gods, which was a great read. Now based on their contributions to the anthology, I'm torn between Orson Scott Card's Alvin Maker series (alternate-world Mark Twain) and the Wheel of Time series... long slog and a little wordy for bedtime reading.

John Willoughby – October 14, 2014 07:37AM Reply Quote
Alvin Maker bored me. Never read WoT.

James DeBenedetti – October 15, 2014 07:23PM Reply Quote
From what I recall, WoT is basically teen drama in fantasy form. I gave up when I realized every book had pretty much the same plot. If you want good old school fantasy, Michael Moorcock, Glen Cook, and Steven Brust are the authors to look for.

Mokers (Moderator) – October 16, 2014 06:38AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I love Mark Twain johnny, so I will give the first Alvin Maker a try. Thanks.

ARL (Moderator) – June 02, 2015 04:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD!

It's kind of a book (you can buy a book version of it) but these are wonderful:

http://apps.theodoregray.com

Molecules in particular is awesome

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/02/2015 04:51PM by ARL.

ARL (Moderator) – July 07, 2015 02:54AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Got this today:

http://www.amazon.com/The-World-Ice-Fire-Westeros/dp/0553805444

I actually like the fact it has illustrations to help break up the text. maybe I'm regressing in my old age...

johnny k – July 07, 2015 08:16AM Reply Quote
Oh, the illustrations are the best part, next to getting the full Targaryen history. Nice to pick up and read bits and pieces. When you're sick of that, check out the crazy detailed maps.

Bunch of lands we've never heard of. Essos seems to be twice as long as I had thought. Interesting to read the mapmaker's blog.

bahamut – July 07, 2015 10:11AM Reply Quote
I bought that too but haven't cracked it. I know I should.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/07/2015 10:11AM by bahamut.

John Willoughby – July 07, 2015 10:34AM Reply Quote
It's Essos in the north, Exxons in the south.

ARL (Moderator) – July 07, 2015 02:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
GRRM has also put out this: http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Seven-Kingdoms-Song-Fire/dp/0345533488/ref=pd_sim_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=179SRJY8JW53RZCH0S8R

So he is writing, just not the thing most people desperately want...

johnny k – July 07, 2015 03:45PM Reply Quote
Those are just the collected Dunk & Egg short stories (novellas?). Also good reads, of course. From 100 years prior.

El Jeffe – April 15, 2017 12:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
43¢
How to Win Friends and Influence People (Kindle Edition)
by Dale Carnegie
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5FH4OK/?m=ATVPDKIKX0DER

johnny k – September 16, 2017 07:38PM Reply Quote
From Sporkers Helping Sporkers:
James DeBenedetti
Is that because you finally caught up on your William Gibson reading? They're in his most recent novel.

Haven't started the Gibson, but finally began Snow Crash, so hey! Funny stuff. Now that VR is a thing again, can't wait til they finally make a movie out of it starring some white kid. Then the kids will think it's a ripoff of both Ready Player One and The Matrix. I will definitely read a Gibson next.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login