Spork Boards
Hot Spork Chat : Join us in an AIM chat room!

Books: Paper, screen, audio

El Jeffe's Avatar Picture El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 01:58PM Reply Quote
Share your paper-turning, Kindle-scrolling, Audible-listening 'book' thoughts.

ARL (Moderator) – November 17, 2010 02:02PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Who here actually re-reads their favourite books? Is that an odd practice?

I'm currently re-reading some of my favourite Terry Pratchett books (currently "Guards! Guards!" - love Errol the swamp dragon...)

El Jeffe – November 17, 2010 02:03PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
What are some of your favorite books you've been 'consuming' lately?
Daemon by Daniel Suarez
It was ok. A bit matrix meets terminator. The ending did not wrap it up in a nice package for me, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/17/2010 02:04PM by El Jeffe.

ddt – November 17, 2010 02:14PM Reply Quote
Hm, books that have stuck in my mind the last few years...

City of Quartz by Mike Davis (partial polemic by a very left urban study guy, and you'd need to know LA)
Under the Banner of Heaven by Jon Krakauer
The (something) Contient by Bill Bryson
More to come...

ddt

Jeff Cooper – November 17, 2010 04:01PM Reply Quote
Tony Leggett
Who here actually re-reads their favourite books? Is that an odd practice?

I'm currently re-reading some of my favourite Terry Pratchett books (currently "Guards! Guards!" - love Errol the swamp dragon...)

I do, Tony. In fact, after I finish what I'm reading now, I'm planning to turn to David Lodge's Small World, which I read a few times in the '80s and '90s but haven't read since then.

bahamut – November 17, 2010 05:41PM Reply Quote
Oh it's pretty normal, I mean why the hell would you buy them otherwise, eh?

Bruce Robertson – November 18, 2010 04:45AM Reply Quote
Now reading The Places in Between by Rory Stewart. Scottish writer who walks the width of Afghanistan and lives to tell the tale.

tomierna (Admin) – November 18, 2010 06:11AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Daemon didn't wrap up in a nice ending because it has a sequel called Freedom™

Mokers (Moderator) – November 18, 2010 08:06AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I have been reading a lot more lately, as I discovered I really enjoy buying used books off of amazon. I try to buy hardcovers and then I donate them to libraries when I am done - alas not enough space in the apartment. I have been re-reading some things (bought Dune to re-read) and starting up anew on others (about 150 pages into the Cryptonimcon).

Some of the books I've really enjoyed the last six months:

The Forsaken
Nothing to Envy
The Moon is a Harsh Mistress
Starship Troopers
Fight Club
Brave New World

I think I am trying to get into a lot of SciFi because I have been so disappointed in the SciFi genre recently.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 08:07AM by Mokers.

Dr Phred (Moderator) – November 18, 2010 08:58AM Reply Quote
-Swine Flu free since...cough, cough...
I have reread most of the disk world series. Mainly as audiobooks. All of the Sam Vhimes (sp?) books are my favorites.

Recent reads are all either electronic or audiobooks.

Ape House
I know this much is true
Life of Pi
At Home
The whole hyperion series
The Siig Larson trilogy

John Willoughby – November 18, 2010 09:53AM Reply Quote
England expects that every man will do his duty. Ha-ha!
I re-read constantly. Since my daily internet radio downloads don't cover my over-long work days, I listen to audio recordings of books that I've already read. I can't listen to new books; I either zone out and stop working or tune out the audio and suddenly come back to myself and realize that I have no idea what's going on in the story.

Books that I've re-read the most often:
Tolkien - The Lord of the Rings, The Hobbit and The Silmarillion
Zelazny - The Chronicles of Amber, Lord of Light
O'Brian - Aubrey and Maturin series
Forrester - Hornblower books
Herbert - Dune, Dune Messiah
Anderson - The Broken Sword
Heinlein - Starship Troopers, Friday
Gibson - Sprawl Trilogy
Dumas - The Three Musketeers
Lovecraft - Everything
Burroughs - The John Carter series
Cherryh - Chanur series, Downbelow series
Fraser - The Flashman series

TMI, I'm sure. I love the Kindle app on my iPad.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/18/2010 10:01AM by John Willoughby.

El Jeffe – November 18, 2010 12:01PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
tomierna
Daemon didn't wrap up in a nice ending because it has a sequel called Freedom™

I didn't want to go into it too much, but the kind of action at the end was not my cup of tea. I was hoping for something a bit more cerebral. Not whether or not it tied everything up.

johnny k – November 18, 2010 12:19PM Reply Quote
Just finished Phillip Pullman's His Dark Materials trilogy after my fiancee bought them on the Kindle app for iPad (though I finished them on my Mac). Great. I see a re-read in the near future.

I read Cryptonomicon last year, good stuff, though the present-day parts felt a little pulpy. I then started on Quicksilver, but I think I got Stephenson brain freeze... haven't touched it since the first chapter or so. His books tend to start off dense and dry, and I lacked the momentum to power through. Before these, I was reading Anathem, which also has that characteristic, but past the first ~150 pages, it got really good really fast.

Does every author have to tackle the multiverse now? Has it become part of the requirement for Great American Novels?

El Jeffe – November 18, 2010 01:48PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Started Pride and Prejudice and Zombies today.

John Willoughby – November 18, 2010 03:02PM Reply Quote
Jane Austen's best book. After having watched some Buffy, I'm considering reading Jane Slayre. Or maybe Little Vampire Women.

ARL (Moderator) – November 18, 2010 03:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Cool, let me know if that's any good, Jeffe.

ddt – November 19, 2010 06:56AM Reply Quote
How about Canticle for Liebowitz?

ddt

John Willoughby – November 19, 2010 09:08AM Reply Quote
For a while I was big into post-apocalyptic books, and it was on my reading list. Decent book, IMHO, but not one I've re-read.

Alan Lehman – November 20, 2010 07:21PM Reply Quote
I've been on a Cormac McCarthy kick for a while. I'm about to start Suttree. Blood Meridian was worth two reads but I fear that the movie will suck. Of course, I felt that way about NCFOM too and it won best picture.

I've read and reread lots of books over the years including LOTR. Also, The Annotated Alice is fantastic as is Schmid's Beginning Glassblowing. I just read The 13 Clocks (Thurber) to my daughter again. The Black Swan was interesting and disappointing at once. Since I still have a nasty commute, I'm looking into Dostoevsky on audiobooks. I wasn't impressed enough with Pynchon's latest, Inherent Vice, to read more of his stuff. I should probably reread Tufte's four main books again. They were a godsend.

Also, if only for the pictures, An Inordinate Fondness for Beetles is fantastic. Actually, the text is good too.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2010 07:22PM by Alan Lehman.

bahamut – November 21, 2010 04:52AM Reply Quote
I haven't re-read Canticle for Lebowitz in a while, but it was one of my favorites, that's for sure.

On Gibson's Spook Country now. So short of time… 

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login