Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 10:05AM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

johnny k – April 15, 2008 02:09PM Reply Quote
Is your favorite feature declared properties, then? Are you embracing GC? I should be happy to use it, but as I'm learning I'm thinking it might be better to understand my memory usage.

monyschuk – April 15, 2008 03:03PM Reply Quote
All new frameworks I'm developing are GC ready, though current projects require that I stick to manual memory management - QTKit capture is reported by Apple to have troubles under GC so it's a no-go for me at the moment on desktop apps, and then there's the iPhone which as you might imagine really wants you to maintain good control over memory usage :)

So properties are the big thing for me right now. Fast enumeration is also a great addition to the language - cleans up quite a lot of junk code. I'd love to be able to take advantage of the 64 bit runtime but I think I'll be holding off there for at least another 12 months. By then we should be in a place where the majority of customers who are inclined to buy software are on Core 2 Duo systems at least.

-M

Dr. Strangelove – April 21, 2008 11:33AM Reply Quote
I just noticed something in the Leopard finder that actually fixes something that had driven me crazy for years. When you duplicate a file (cmd-D), the copy of the file is now selected after duplication, rather than the original. Yeah!

On the other hand, Leopard introduced a new behavior that I hate; I suppose it's some sort of conservation of aggravation. When you eject a mounted disk, if there's a finder window displaying a folder on that disk, the window disappears. Arrggh!

Cloudscout – April 21, 2008 10:10PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Tonight I decided to try installing OSX on an IBM machine (well, Lenovo). I grabbed a pre-modded ISO and the install went smoothly. It's not the speediest beast out there since it's using the on-board Intel graphics and only has 512MB RAM and a 3GHz P4, but it boots. I didn't plug it into the network yet so I can't say how well anything else works on it. I'm wondering if it would support a Radeon 7000 PCI card so I can get a DVI output on it at least.

Anything anybody wants me to test on it?

John Willoughby – April 22, 2008 08:55AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Software Update.

Cloudscout – April 22, 2008 08:57AM Reply Quote
Hmm. Reports an error about not having Internet access. Stupid Apple... can't even figure out how to automatically update a computer with no network.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 22, 2008 09:03AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
http://gizmodo.com/382368/close-call-apples-os-x-almost-looked-exactly-like-os-8-from-the-book-inside-steves-brain

Funny how things change. How many current users would take the Classic UI, with all of the Mac OS X goodness down low over Aqua? Bet it's about 80% less than if they had asked this question around 10.0.

Cloudscout – April 22, 2008 09:07AM Reply Quote
I still think the Dock is an abomination.

Simon – April 22, 2008 04:54PM Reply Quote
I don't think there's much in the OS X finder that I couldn't live without, but there's plenty about the os 9 finder that I would like to have.

Roger – April 22, 2008 06:01PM Reply Quote
That Gizmodo piece is abominably dumb. Why can't people get into their heads that the *look* of the UI chrome is not the same as the *functional behavior* of the UI? I wouldn't give a shit about Aqua, pinstripes and all, if it were just a skin on a functional spatial Finder.

Cloudscout – April 29, 2008 03:02PM Reply Quote
I actually did run Software Update. It worked fine. Updated iMovie, Garage Band, Safari, Java, iDVD, iWeb and Digital Camera RAW Compatibility.

In fact, the iMovie update fixed the problem that prevented iMovie from launching before. Now it works fine. It's surprising how well everything is working on this machine now.

The only drawback is that this is a dual 2.8GHz Xeon system that doesn't support VT-x extensions so Parallels doesn't run as fast as it could. The Xeon chips in it do support HyperThreading, though, so OSX sees it as four processors.

El Jeffe – April 29, 2008 03:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
simple question. How do I log off another user who is logged on, but I don't know their password? I am admin (of course). And I don't want to restart.

Dr. Strangelove – April 29, 2008 03:42PM Reply Quote
Not sure there's a graceful way to do it. You could go into activity monitor and kill their processes. Killing their WindowServer process would probably do it.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 29, 2008 03:53PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
restart the computer. There is no really graceful way of doing it, as strangelove said.

Cloudscout – April 29, 2008 04:13PM Reply Quote
There is a way... although not entirely graceful.

1) Launch "Activity Monitor."
2) From the "Show" menu on the toolbar, select "Other User Processes."
3) Click on the "loginwindow" process owned by the user you want to log off.
4) Click the "Quit Process" button on the toolbar.
5) In the dialog box that pops up, click "Force Quit."
6) You will have to enter the username and password for an administrator on the system.
7) Done. That user is now logged out.

Cloudscout – April 29, 2008 04:15PM Reply Quote
DPBD... machine is now even more of a FrankenMac. It has two monitors... one Dell and one IBM.

ddt – May 16, 2008 05:01AM Reply Quote
amazing how a cheap watch keeps better time than my power mac, which ends up at least a few minutes fast within a week or two after syncing the clock.

ddt

Madaracs – May 16, 2008 09:42AM Reply Quote
Ooh! Scary! Scary! Don't we look mean? You can't see me! But I can see you!
Cloudscout
DPBD... machine is now even more of a FrankenMac. It has two monitors... one Dell and one IBM.

Remind me to get you that Logitech Camera.

Dr. Strangelove – May 27, 2008 05:37AM Reply Quote
So I'm trying to troubleshoot some problems, and I went to look at console.log and it hasn't been updated or written to since March 20. Suggestions? What could cause this?

Mokers (Moderator) – May 27, 2008 06:09AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Is system.log also empty, or just the console.log?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login