Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 10:05AM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

ARL (Moderator) – December 29, 2016 03:16PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Anyone else been having a problem getting Safari to post to this forum?

I end up in a dead end posting.php and then end up at the macedition forums (not spork) home page...

ARL (Moderator) – December 29, 2016 03:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
(DPBD! And this time it worked...)

ddt – December 29, 2016 06:49PM Reply Quote
Have seen it twice. Thought it was a php thing?

ddt

John Willoughby – December 29, 2016 11:11PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I get an error when I post with Chrome (Windows), but when I go back to the thread the post is there.

johnny k – December 30, 2016 04:28AM Reply Quote
Happening to me the last week, on Safari.

tomierna (Admin) – December 30, 2016 03:39PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
It's possible that I was restarting Apache at the exact time you guys were posting. I've been doing some background server maintenance, and though I use apachectl graceful, if you were in the middle of a post, it might have messed with things.

John Willoughby – December 30, 2016 07:03PM Reply Quote
Happened over a few days for me. (Not happening now.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/30/2016 07:03PM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – December 30, 2016 09:17PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Ah, ok, no worries Tom!

El Jeffe – January 03, 2017 11:56PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Just NOW did.
did not come back after posting. But it DID post.

ARL
Anyone else been having a problem getting Safari to post to this forum?

I end up in a dead end posting.php and then end up at the macedition forums (not spork) home page...

bahamut – January 04, 2017 04:23AM Reply Quote
I've never figured out Spaces. Every now and then I use a full screen application, but generally I don't get it (it really doesn't work in mail where you can have one message open at a time). I'd love such a tutorial.

El Jeffe – January 04, 2017 11:56AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I know. Spaces baffles me, too. I mean, the part of HOW and WHY should I work it in to my routine/s?

John Willoughby – January 04, 2017 12:01PM Reply Quote
It only really worked for me when I was developing, and could have individual screens set up for particular tasks. Day-to-day, now that I've given up any pretense of coding for OS X or iOS, I don't use it.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 04, 2017 12:49PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I use spaces a lot, especially for work. Mainly for pinning specific apps to a space

Space for:
    [*] email (outlook)
    [*] Chrome (mostly personal browsing)
    [*] Firefox (mostly work browsing)
    [*] Safari
    [*] Remote Access (Royal TSX/ ARD/ VPN)
    [*] Office Apps
    [*] Notes
    [*] VMWare Fusion
    [*] messaging (slack, imessage)

I feel like spaces help keep things in context, so if I switch to something, I can refocus pretty easily.

bahamut – January 04, 2017 05:07PM Reply Quote
Mokers, I'd be thrilled to have you explain to me how to incorporate that into my workflow.

One of my biggest problems is switching between modalities.
Messages are key to undoing spaces for me since if a notification comes in and then I have to reply to in message, I wind up leaving the damn space for another one. Why can't I see a message thread and send messages from that damn notifications pane that I never, ever use (there's another thing to explain).

I have problems dragging between spaces… Sometimes I want to drag something from a Finder to a space and it won't let me, or I think it won't, or I try to drag something from one space to another but it doesn't work.

johnny k – January 04, 2017 05:51PM Reply Quote
Baha, you can assign Messages to all spaces under its Dock menu > Options > Assign to All Desktops.

I use spaces like I use table space; run out of room, find a new surface to put some work on. I don't have a spatial memory for where things are (probably because it rearranges them by last used, until I found that preference just now), but the F3 overview, Mission Control they call it, compensates somewhat. Not as natural as it used to feel, when Spaces were in a 2D grid and an overlay showed you where in the grid you were as you switched.

Mokers (Moderator) – January 04, 2017 08:13PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Baha - what Johnny said. I take great care in which applications I have a separate space and abundant open in any space. If you are having problems moving the mission control view can help. The other thing is that I turn off the auto-arrange feature of spaces. By default spaces changes the order based on how often you use an app, but my mind likes to know that stark comes after Firefox,etc. It makes the previous space and next space shortcuts more useful. I also only use one monitor because it's easier to fix windows position after using my laptop's internal display.

I did like the original virtual desktops that allowed you to grid desktop with a bit more customization

bahamut – January 05, 2017 06:50PM Reply Quote
That's really helping guys. I had no idea!!

Maybe the problem is full screen? I just made safari full screen and dragged my messages onto it to split screen. But now I only have one conversation in that second pane. What gives??

John Willoughby – January 06, 2017 07:43AM Reply Quote
Edit bug still happening sporadically for Chrome on Windows. Error page, but post is made.

El Jeffe – January 06, 2017 11:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
yep. hitting me up as well.

ARL (Moderator) – January 06, 2017 10:10PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
With all this discussion about using spaces, it it anything like using Magnet?

I've been too disorganised to setup either...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login