Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 10:05AM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

ddt – October 04, 2016 06:49AM Reply Quote
Huh -- this makes me feel stupid, but on early OSes, you could hold down a modifier key in the Go menu for the Finder and navigate to /Library, but that seems to be gone in Sierra?

ddt

tomierna (Admin) – October 04, 2016 06:51AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Holding Option still shows your user Library for me.

Getting to /Library is best accomplished by using the Go to Folder... option at the bottom of the Go menu, and putting in /Library

porruka (Admin) – October 04, 2016 06:52AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
What Tom said.

Also, if you mouse over that line, it should tell you one of the sites that have been assigned to that process. You can hunt down that tab and close it; lather, rinse, repeat (assuming the machine doesn't stop responding) until that process is freeeeeeeeee. And probably Flash free, too.

ddt – October 04, 2016 06:58AM Reply Quote
Ah, I did not know there was a hover state, thanks! (Though at that point, the whole UI was unresponsive for minutes at a time -- I just force quit, when it finally did something.)

I'll try checking out Library stuff. If you don't hear from me again, it's because I stupidly deleted something critical. Thanks!

ddt

ddt – October 04, 2016 07:24AM Reply Quote
Well, guess that didn't kill anything... yet! Still getting kernel_task at over 1GB.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – October 04, 2016 07:41AM Reply Quote
ddt
Well, guess that didn't kill anything... yet! Still getting kernel_task at over 1GB.

ddt

If you're talking about closing tabs, you have to be patient. The lazy memory return will make it look like it's still gobbling ram when it actually isn't.

bahamut – October 07, 2016 05:03AM Reply Quote
Alright, so I am thinking about the 1TB iCloud plan to sync my desktop and my laptop (and gain access to all my files from my ipad pro too).

Any thoughts? I suspect that there would be horror stories involved.

bahamut – October 07, 2016 07:50AM Reply Quote
Another thought would be to put my documents file in Cloudstation and sync with my Synology.

I'm terrified of any of these solutions though… 

ddt – October 07, 2016 08:22AM Reply Quote
Backblaze? Their mobile app could be better, but allows you to open and use content.

ddt

John Willoughby – October 07, 2016 09:53AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I've transitioned my Windows laptop and a few of my Macs to Backblaze. After the initial upload (lengthy), it is pretty damn invisible. I haven't had to restore anything yet, but I like that I have the option to encrypt my content. Also, in the event of a total disk loss, they will send me my data on a hard drive. That would save me from a two-week download...

My dad's in the middle of hurricane Matthew, and I am glad that I got him on Backblaze a few months back. He has a time machine, but every time I check it, it is disconnected. Besides, he left it behind when he evacuated. Off-site backups FTW!

Mokers (Moderator) – October 07, 2016 10:52AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Baha - I only use cloudstation to backup my cloud documents to synology, not sync to macs. for syncing, I use dropbox 1TB with selective sync. Don't trust apple's cloud yet. I also use crashplan for an offsite backup for all the computers in the house.

porruka (Admin) – October 27, 2016 08:42AM Reply Quote
Ha! Control strip on touch bar... Mac OS 9 lives!

dharlow – October 27, 2016 08:46AM Reply Quote
Yup noticed that too...

tomierna (Admin) – October 28, 2016 10:31AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Man, I didn't know where to post this - Kersplat? Swiffies? Milkshakes for...?

Or here, since this is where the Wifi/BT chipset discussion originated...

Last week, my Late 2011 17" MBP succumbed to the video card cancer. (Kersplat!)

I took it in on Friday, expecting to pay the flat rate for a MoBo replacement, and it turned out this issue is covered under an extended warrantee. (Swiffies!)

They turned it around pretty quickly - I picked it up yesterday. (Swiffies!)

They replaced the motherboard and the third-party battery I had installed when the OEM one stopped holding a charge. (Swiffies!)

But, they also replaced the Wifi/BT chip, and didn't send my part back with the repair. (MILKSHAKES!)

In the past, they have sent third-party parts back with repairs, like RAM.

I'm not sure how to proceed - on the one hand, it was a $550 repair for free, but on the other hand, I'm out a $105 card that enabled Handoff on an aging machine. On the gripping hand, I'll probably be selling the 17" to help partially fund an upgrade to the new 15".

Sigh.

porruka (Admin) – October 28, 2016 11:22AM Reply Quote
Man... nice that most of the story has Spiffies though! I'd probably call it a 80% discount on repairs and order a new card (it would probably help the sale as long as it's to a knowledgeable buyer).

johnny k – October 28, 2016 01:52PM Reply Quote
Can't hurt to ask them to credit you for it. Worst case, just get the $25 BT/WiFi card I got. Believe it's the same one.

tomierna (Admin) – October 28, 2016 02:27PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
I bought mine at a peak of demand, so I'm sure it would be cheaper to re-buy it now.

John Willoughby – October 30, 2016 10:06AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Ask not for whom the Mac tolls. It doesn't.

El Jeffe – October 30, 2016 01:59PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
you know, I'm all for the removal of sounds.

ARL (Moderator) – October 30, 2016 05:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I dunno, I liked the double startup chime to indicate the PRAM or NVRAM (or SCU or whatever they call it nowadays) had actually reset.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login