Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 10:05AM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

John Willoughby – March 06, 2016 10:08AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

ddt – March 06, 2016 11:34AM Reply Quote
Thanks for the heads up. That Reuters article is written a bit weirdly (some passive "this info should be posted" and stuff), but here's the "how to tell if you're infected": http://researchcenter.paloaltonetworks.com/2016/03/new-os-x-ransomware-keranger-infected-transmission-bittorrent-client-installer/ -- though it'd be nice if that link was explicit whether some of these were invisible files or not (I use Finder Revealer for that, but it can be a pain).

I mean, should anyone have ever heard of this "Transmission" thing. Whatever it is.

ddt

porruka (Admin) – March 06, 2016 02:27PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
John Willoughby
If you run a recent version of Transmission (Mac OS X Torrent downloaded), you may have ransomware that can trigger as early as Monday. 2.90 is the version that may have the malware, 2.91 is a "clean" version.

2.92 is a "cleanER" version that does cleanup as well. 2.91 doesn't do that.

If you're into that sort of thing.

El Jeffe – April 24, 2016 02:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
$2,200 Mac Mini.

Apple Tax is alive and well.

Mac mini
3.0GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i7 (Turbo Boost up to 3.5GHz)
16GB 1600MHz LPDDR3 SDRAM
1TB PCIe-based Flash Storage
Intel Iris Graphics
User's Guide (English)
Accessory Kit

johnny k – April 24, 2016 04:48PM Reply Quote
Speaking of, just tried to get my oldish Mac Mini server up and running to be a media server, and the _new_ second drive in the RAID 0 seems to have failed. And the whole thing won't start up (cancel icon blinks on startup), though Disk Utility shows the same "degraded" condition where one drive is okay, so that shouldn't be. This ring a bell for anyone?

Mokers (Moderator) – April 26, 2016 07:45AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
can you get into the command line? do a "diskutil checkRAID"

dharlow – April 26, 2016 11:35AM Reply Quote
Other option is get SoftRAID and boot in target disk mode.

El Jeffe – May 05, 2016 03:07AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I had NO IDEA there was a Twitter MAC app. (MAC MAC MAC... not iOS)

http://www.theverge.com/2016/5/4/11594146/twitter-mac-app-update-moments-gif-search-poll-support

ddt – May 05, 2016 03:37AM Reply Quote
Huh -- never used Twitter's own iOS, Mac OS, or web client. Just coincidentally, I've never seen any promoted tweets, ads, or Dickbars.

ddt

El Jeffe – May 05, 2016 04:50AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
no idea what a dickbar is

John Willoughby – May 05, 2016 06:24AM Reply Quote
A poor substitute for a salad bar.

El Jeffe – May 05, 2016 07:06AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
laughed out loud. Ouch...

porruka (Admin) – May 05, 2016 07:42AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
One more bit of a cautionary tale WRT Apple Music... more of an editorial I think but still worth being aware of.

https://blog.vellumatlanta.com/2016/05/04/apple-stole-my-music-no-seriously/

John Willoughby – May 05, 2016 08:47AM Reply Quote
Yep. That's been my experience. Plus, of course, playlist deletion/duplication. Fortunately, the only non-supported format that I have a lot of is Apple Lossless. I can live with them being mp3-ized. I made sure to download EVERYTHING from Apple Music so that my devices have my music even without internet. I backed up my pre-Apple music iTunes library to an external drive which exists purely to preserve my original files.

I'm enjoying Apple Music within these limitations. There's a whole lot of music that I have a very casual relationship with; and more that I'm curious about. Stuff that I wouldn't seek out and buy, but that I will download for free. I've had "Do You Wanna Get Funky With Me" stuck in my head since the 70's... (the last time that I head it). It's a horrible song, but at last I have been able to exorcise it with several sequential playings. I don't get Beats1, though. Whenever I try to listen it's deep in some rap artist. I know that's the music of today's youth (or, at least, people younger than me), but I don't like it. I wish that there were more live stations, a la Sirius/XM but with better, more varied music. Sirius/XM seems to rotate through the same 50 songs, updated monthly.

James DeBenedetti – May 05, 2016 12:04PM Reply Quote
Yeah - they bill Beats1 as having a variety of quality music from all over the globe, but the only thing I ever hear is rap, and there's no thumbs down or skip button, so I gave up on it a long time ago.

johnny k – May 05, 2016 12:55PM Reply Quote
My sister was on Beats1 a month or two ago! Spinning old funk and hiphop on Q-Tip's show (if any of you white guys are into that).

Yeah, just as I was considering trying out Apple Music, this puts a hard stop on that. I'm already stuck between iPhoto and Photos because my attempt at a migration (including buying PowerPhotos) resulted in 40 photos not making it over. Which 40, nothing could tell me. So I'm even more paranoid now.

John Willoughby – May 05, 2016 03:34PM Reply Quote
Paranoia is wise when dealing with Apple's cloud services. What boggles my mind is that Apple acts like they are unaware of any issues when you talk to support. They must have some kind of gag order going, preventing them from admitting that there are serious, chronic problems with their service. They clearly only tested with users who only had music purchased from iTunes.

El Jeffe – May 06, 2016 04:41AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
WHAT PROBLEMS???

https://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

we're all green!!!!

ddt – June 20, 2016 02:48PM Reply Quote

Cloudscout – June 20, 2016 05:12PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I've been watching a lot of vintage Danger Mouse lately so the first icon that popped out at me on that page was on the left side... Baron Silas Greenback.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login