Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 03:05PM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

John Willoughby – October 25, 2015 09:58PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I am getting a lot of beach balls in Das Kapitan.

El Jeffe – October 26, 2015 03:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not sure THIS helped, but I rebooted. Logged in as root.
ran the new disk check repair. took hour or two. said it ran successfully. but it had some error 8.
File system check exit code is 8

Things seemed to have settled down somewhat.
ALL my emails (70,000 +) appear to be re-downloaded or re-cataloging.... odd.

ddt – October 26, 2015 11:31AM Reply Quote
I hope they don't all end up as marked as unread! Then again, it'd help you relive all that quality communication.

New in El Capitan for me: maybe a few times an hour my Mac forgets the cursor speed settings. I go to move the mouse and the cursor goes sloooooooooooooooowly. Like just now! Only minutes since I reset the cursor speed. It may be a USB issue -- in Yosemite, sometimes after not typing for a while the mac wouldn't register my first keypress (USB mouse plugged into Apple USB keyboard plugged into Apple monitor's USB port).

ddt

El Jeffe – October 26, 2015 04:15PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
about 100,000 + have. (marked Unread)
I think latest count is 210,000+ "re"downloaded.

You know, I HAVE ENJOYED seeing all those old emails... it's odd. Looks like I am up to March 2015 right now being downloaded.
Gees.

El Jeffe – November 01, 2015 06:14AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Not wanting to be "all negative" on El Crapitan (snicker)...
NOTES is the most useful app Apple produces.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09/os-x-10-11-el-capitan-the-ars-technica-review/4/

Does anyone know if one can collaborate? That is, share a particular note with one or more iCloud/iOS users?
And grant/manage rights/permissions? That is perhaps give others read-only to the note, or full edit/write or append-only? With notifications once collaborators have access or made changes.Also, markup/history of updates would be nice.

John Willoughby – November 12, 2015 01:05PM Reply Quote
This issue has been biting me.. I didn't know what it was, but my apps keep telling me that they were purchased on another mac. I just keep having to sign into the App Store.

johnny k – November 12, 2015 02:39PM Reply Quote
Been getting that too. I heard that Apple had let some certificates associated with the Mac App Store expire... could be related.

Cloudscout – November 12, 2015 02:59PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!

El Jeffe – November 12, 2015 03:02PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
If you f up a cert at work, you get fired.
That keeps ours pretty much updated.

bahamut – November 16, 2015 09:35AM Reply Quote
What the heck happened to Safari's search? Somehow it seems to take forever or just fails about 1 in 10 hits. I have preloading turned off and quick website search turned off. But still, it's not working. I then go to bing.com (usually out of bitterness) and it pops up instantly. It doesn't matter where I do it, at home, in hotel, wherever.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 11/16/2015 09:35AM by bahamut.

ARL (Moderator) – November 17, 2015 02:59AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Does it work if you change the user agent?

If it does then google is doing something...

El Jeffe – December 01, 2015 07:01AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I just now read/heard that Malwarebytes is available for Mac

http://www.thesafemac.com/introducing-malwarebytes-anti-malware-for-mac/

Mokers (Moderator) – December 01, 2015 11:48AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Yes, had a chance to use it a few months ago. Pretty good product. Very necessary if you know people who click on those "clean your computer now!" ads on the internet. Recommend free version of Sophos at the minimum for all Mac users and Malwarebytes is a nice thing to have in the arsenal now as well. Very good at getting rid of browser helpers that redirect Safari/Chrome/etc.

John Willoughby – December 01, 2015 02:45PM Reply Quote
I tried to get my dad on Sophos, but his ISP keeps sending him Symantec Antivirus for the Mac and he keeps installing it. I hate that f***ing program.

ddt – December 01, 2015 08:09PM Reply Quote
Okay -- it looks just like the kind of thing you don't want to install, but if you guys vouch for it... .

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – December 03, 2015 12:08AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've used Sophos for ages but find it's very resource intensive and can slow my machine to a crawl. Any tips/suggestions?

Anyone installed the anti-virus that parallels tries to pimp?

John Willoughby – December 03, 2015 12:13AM Reply Quote
I use Sophos on my family's Macs. Except for my father, of course. I use Intego's for-pay product on my Macs. It seems less intrusive and is certainly more polished. No idea on relative effectiveness.

ddt – March 05, 2016 12:50AM Reply Quote
Weirdness today. Thought the OS had become unresponsive, in that no typing or mousing would have an effect -- but the clock turned over. Then I noticed the light on the mouse was out, so I thought the USB from keyboard (where the mouse is connected) to the display had come loose. I unplugged it and plugged it back in. Still no power to the kb/mouse. Tried plugging the kb into every other USB port connected to the MBP, but no joy. Had to open the laptop and reboot, and then stuff was good again. I was worried all my USB ports had died.

Thoughts?

ddt

porruka (Admin) – March 05, 2016 01:22AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
I've had weirdness before that, instead of a reboot, it took a pass of USB Prober (tool available via dev) to fix. Reboot would have done it, of course, but with a bluetooth device (the Magic Trackpad) I was able to get it working. Thankfully it's been a handful of times only.

ddt – March 05, 2016 11:26AM Reply Quote
Weirdness indeed. What do you think causes this? I just heard on ATP.fm podcast about an OS X update killing Ethernet, but that was a totally different thing.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login