Spork Boards

MacOS X a dog or just in need of a good bitch slap?

Dr Phred's Avatar Picture Dr Phred (Moderator) – December 10, 2007 10:05AM Reply Quote
Can't keep a good topic down....

owned by the mothership.

John Willoughby – January 08, 2018 11:24AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Apple releases Spectre updates for iOS (11.2.2) and macOS (10.13.2) today. No word of when Smersh or Kaos updates will be available.

Cloudscout – January 08, 2018 04:06PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I'm suddenly nostalgic for the old Mac OS tank game called Spectre.

johnny k – January 08, 2018 05:52PM Reply Quote
That's kind of how I pictured explainers of the vulnerability in my head. Like the animations about viruses and antibodies in crude shapes.

ARL (Moderator) – January 09, 2018 01:46AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Cloudscout
I'm suddenly nostalgic for the old Mac OS tank game called Spectre.

Such a great game...

ARL (Moderator) – January 09, 2018 01:49AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Apple releases Spectre updates for iOS (11.2.2) and macOS (10.13.2) today. No word of when Smersh or Kaos updates will be available.

Are older OS versions getting an update later? And is it optional? (Seriously, as far as I know there are currently no known exploits in the wild for this vulnerability)

El Jeffe – January 09, 2018 02:44AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, I see that I am at 10.13.2.
Is it proper to presume they pushed it out without my authorization?

johnny k – January 09, 2018 04:32AM Reply Quote
No, it's a supplemental update to 10.13.2.

El Jeffe – January 13, 2018 09:28AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
i'm losing it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/13/2018 09:29AM by El Jeffe.

ARL (Moderator) – January 15, 2018 06:01PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Any graphics folks had a look at Pixelmator Pro yet?

http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/

It looks like it's incorporating vector support:

http://www.pixelmator.com/pro/shapes/

Just can't find what formats it will export to

ARL (Moderator) – January 15, 2018 06:35PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
DPBD! Dunno which thread to put this in but I'm after recommendations for planners/calendars/organisers and I think I've narrowed it down to:

1. Things 3
2. Fantastical 2
3. OmniFocus 2
4. Wunderlist (if I want to be cheap)
5. Evernote?

Key things for me: Clean intuitive interface (no "steep learning curve"), Categories/tasks/subtasks/tags-or-keywords, ability to keep list of finished tasks and ideally time spent on each one. That last feature seems elusive.

So it needs to be part to-do list, part calendar/planner, part project manager/tracker, part time/effort-logger.

Anyone had good/bad experience with any of these?

johnny k – January 15, 2018 06:43PM Reply Quote
The Pixelmator Pro put me in the mood to upgrade my image editing side, but then when I pull the trigger, it'll more likely be for Affinity Photo. I already use and love Affinity Designer (the Illustrator equivalent), and if Photo is well integrated with it so I can just double click an embedded image to edit it, sold. I loved Pixelmator for what it did for me for the price it did it at, but one of the biggest pluses of Pixelmator Pro for me is a more professional interface (the stupid non-snapping, non-anchoring palettes in Pixelmator always get lost across two screens and a bunch of windows). If that's what I'm upgrading for, might as well buy from a company that's always been doing a pro interface.

It's mostly a to-do list, but I like Todoist enough that I pay the subscription. The gamification, goal setting, and various scheduling/rescheduling features and UI are important to me. Think it has about everything on your list except the last one. For that if needed I use HoursTracker.

ARL (Moderator) – January 16, 2018 02:18PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Thanks for the feedback, jk.

I did notice Affinity Photo & Designer on the app store. How steep is the learning curve?

johnny k – January 16, 2018 07:58PM Reply Quote
Haven't tried Photo yet. Designer, very little of a learning curve from Illustrator. Many of the shortcut keys and modifiers are the same, and most differences are the additions I wish Illustrator had. If you've never used a vector drawing program before, I imagine it'll have some curve. The only wrinkle is the "Persona" concept. It's just different modes for drawing and exporting, where all the tools change. Switching to the export persona, though, is not much different from the Save to Web on Adobe products, where you can manipulate slices and compression for each. There also, it's more powerful than what Illustrator ever gave me (granted I never moved to Creative Cloud) - being able to save all the resolutions an iOS app, or retina screen, requires, at once or even live as the illustration is edited, is a massive time saver.

Both Affinity and Pixelmator have a much more modern (and fast) UI than Adobe. They have more live previews and editable transformations, which is nice when doing something like a gradient.

ARL (Moderator) – January 17, 2018 03:49PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

John Willoughby – January 30, 2018 07:13AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – January 30, 2018 06:06PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Day later, dollar short...

El Jeffe – February 13, 2018 11:43PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
What took me so long to find that speed test has a Mac App?
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/speedtest-by-ookla/id1153157709?mt=12

ARL (Moderator) – February 14, 2018 02:46AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It's great

John Willoughby – February 20, 2018 05:46AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2018 03:37PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
El Capitan forever!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login