Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

John Willoughby – November 22, 2016 09:15AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I feel oddly bad about using the proceeds from Apple stock sales to buy some Eeros. But not enough not to do it. My wife and kids have been complaining about WiFi coverage in the house for a year.

bahamut – November 22, 2016 11:32AM Reply Quote
Is the existing Airport Extreme still the fastest wifi for last generation Macbook Pros? Or is there something better out there outside of Apple land.

John Willoughby – November 22, 2016 11:36AM Reply Quote
It's not been updated in three years, so I expect that there is better stuff out there. I went with Eero for the mesh and purported ease of configuration.

ARL (Moderator) – November 22, 2016 02:23PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've no problem with apple getting out of the wireless router business.

bahamut – November 22, 2016 06:03PM Reply Quote
I've got working routers, I just wonder if it's time to upgrade. Maybe I won't see any speed differences.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 23, 2016 05:24AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The airport chipset is way old. Although your device might not benefit from certain speed upgrades on new hardware, the new hardware will do wonders, especially if you still have older clients. One of the things that kills wireless networks are older clients that can only connect at slower speeds.

I still think the best performance is to get 2 - 3 Ubiquiti APs and set them up around the house. The Ubiquiti hardware is really good and the software has lots of ways to tune your networks for multiple APs. They don't have a built-in router, however, so that would need to be a separate purchase and while it can do a mesh network it is best if you have dedicated ethernet to each. I think that still gives you the overall best setup, but requires a bit more maintenance. My preferred AP:

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B015PRO512/ref=psdc_1194486_t1_B015PR20GY

There are many systems out there that offer really good performance, will act as your router and still have easy setup. My current favorite is the netgear orbi:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/wireless/wireless-reviews/33028-netgear-orbi-reviewed

Instead of using mesh, it has a dedicated wireless backhaul, so I think in terms of range and performance, that is the way to go. It's also very new, so could be bugs early on

https://smile.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Everywhere-Tri-Band-Replaces-Extenders/dp/B01K4CZOBS/

Ubiquiti has a system called amplifi, but I haven't used it:

https://smile.amazon.com/AmpliFi-High-Density-Home-Wi-Fi-System/dp/B01L9O08PW/

Overall, I still say eero is a good choice, but it definitely prioritizes easy setup over raw speed.

bahamut – November 24, 2016 05:41PM Reply Quote
I was super excited and read this article, only to get disappointed when I found out it would be slower than my AirPort Extreme....

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2015/10/review-ubiquiti-unifi-made-me-realize-how-terrible-consumer-wi-fi-gear-is/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/24/2016 05:42PM by bahamut.

ddt – November 24, 2016 06:39PM Reply Quote
Frankly, that's more words on "how I got set up" and time to read than I want to spend actually setting up any of those damn things.

ddt

Mokers (Moderator) – November 25, 2016 06:38AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Eh, I wouldn't be too sure about those numbers if he left the device sitting on the floor. The Airport Extreme radio is much better omnidirectionally than a lot of APs so I think if you want to leave a single AP on a shelf somewhere, it may be a good. However, if you want maximum speed and range and have the option to wall or ceiling mount, Ubiquiit is a good choice. If you need to extend the network with multiple APs, Netgear Omni, Eero, google wifi are better options with their features and software. you will get much better performance.

Cloudscout – November 25, 2016 11:49AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
I have two of the UniFi APs. I'm very happy with them.

John Willoughby – November 27, 2016 08:36AM Reply Quote
Touch Bar MacBook Pros seem to be getting sold with discounts from the usual places. Odd for such a new machine that is allegedly selling like hotcakes.

John Willoughby – November 30, 2016 07:57AM Reply Quote
AirPods coming in the next few weeks. Just in time to not be available for Christmas, no doubt.

John Willoughby – December 01, 2016 07:22AM Reply Quote
I think that Boot Camp has moved from being a bridge to bring people who need Windows TO the Mac, to being training wheels for Mac professionals who need to leave the platform. Though not the best training wheels.

I think Boot Camp support will be going away over the next couple of years.

ddt – December 01, 2016 08:31AM Reply Quote
It'd definitely become more problematic if Windows keeps moving more towards a touch interface.

ddt

James DeBenedetti – December 01, 2016 11:32PM Reply Quote
Yeah, bootcamp blew my speakers, so I'm on my second 2016 MBP now. While it's annoying, the no hassle, same day replacement is a lot better than I'd get from Razer or Dell, and one of the reasons I stick with Apple.

John Willoughby – December 02, 2016 06:35AM Reply Quote
Sorry for the inconvenience, James. We've come to expect better from Apple, even for Boot Camp.

John Willoughby – December 02, 2016 07:27PM Reply Quote
This kind of thing seems to happen a lot, lately.

ARL (Moderator) – December 03, 2016 02:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Too bad everything is soldered on...

Mokers (Moderator) – December 03, 2016 04:21PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
It's not like Apple would have neglected to test heavy usage with pro apps on its latest and greatest hardware....

John Willoughby – December 03, 2016 05:19PM Reply Quote
I may have mistaken Apple's design focus... it appears to be "Thinner, and don't sweat the battery life."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login