Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

bahamut – November 20, 2016 03:44PM Reply Quote
What's wrong with Tim Cook? A second year in which I am not buying an AppleTV.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/20/2016 03:44PM by bahamut.

johnny k – November 20, 2016 05:26PM Reply Quote
Was on the verge of buying the same Roku as Bill, but the TV we're using now has decent smarts in it. I still have to switch to the old Roku to watch NBA... the problem with every smart TV maker is there seems to be no platform beneath them.

John Willoughby – November 21, 2016 06:01AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Apple is abandoning another field that it pioneered. Yes, yes, all sorts of legitimate business reasons. But, along with leaving the display market, it feels like retrenchment.

dharlow – November 21, 2016 08:39AM Reply Quote
I heard some rumblings of additional layoffs that were handled much more quietly than Sal's, seems this commenter also has heard of the same http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-automation-product-manager-sal-soghoian-leaves-apple-after-position-eliminated.2015585/#post-23933820

John Willoughby – November 21, 2016 08:52AM Reply Quote
dharlow
I heard some rumblings of additional layoffs that were handled much more quietly than Sal's, seems this commenter also has heard of the same http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/mac-automation-product-manager-sal-soghoian-leaves-apple-after-position-eliminated.2015585/#post-23933820

Yeah, I think that I'm selling some stock. I don't need to own as much of an objet d'arte company as I do of an engineering company.

johnny k – November 21, 2016 09:34AM Reply Quote
That plus political uncertainty has me doing the same. Think bringing back overseas cash at a low tax rate does anything for the price?

I can separate this from my personal disappointment that the Mac is fading. I don't care that much that automation loses 30-year employees and maybe gets diffused among departments. The lack of product direction, though. I really don't know if there's an innovation crisis, or their internal R&D failures have been more public. The pace doesn't seem horrible - iPhone 2007, iPad 2010, Watch 2014 - call the Watch a disappointment, but at least they're still able to create and ship new verticals from whole cloth. But I have been waiting for some new narrative that would take the stock out of its stagnation, and not hearing that. I'm seeing a lot of small ventures (Watch, accessories, services) that will flesh out a long-term incremental growth. But that's not AAPL's narrative.

dharlow – November 21, 2016 10:02AM Reply Quote
From one of my other forums, a long time Apple person, Scott Rose https://www.scottworld.com/about/ actually just posted "I can no longer -- in good conscience -- recommend Apple products to people." and "In my heart, though, the REAL Apple is dead to me."

That is not good.

John Willoughby – November 21, 2016 11:09AM Reply Quote
Yeah. My assessment of their current product line is subjective, but I don't see anything interesting on the horizon, either. I'm not selling all my stock, or even half, but I need some reason besides dividends to keep holding what remains long term.

John Willoughby – November 21, 2016 02:32PM Reply Quote
Yep. The MacBook Pros don't support more than 16GB of RAM because... it would have hurt battery life. Ever thinner, ever longer battery life... the only things a professional needs.

ARL (Moderator) – November 21, 2016 03:43PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
A quote from the forums:

It's like watching the titanic sink in very slow motion.

johnny k – November 21, 2016 05:51PM Reply Quote
Such slow motion that there was plenty of time to build a bigger boat and move everyone to it. Like I said, I'm personally pissed at the lack of Mac progress, but not fooling myself that the Mac is more important than iOS. I'm more worried at the half-assedness of the product moves and lack of communication. I think Siracusa ring true, unfortunately - no monitor suggests no more standalone desktops. Can you imagine products on the homepage that aren't Ive-made? Come spring, I suspect we'll see a paradigm shift for the Mac.

ARL (Moderator) – November 21, 2016 06:28PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Such slow motion that there was plenty of time to build a bigger boat and move everyone to it.

I'm not getting the metaphor here unless you're channelling Tim Cook and his "why wouldn't you just use an iPad pro" comment?

johnny k – November 21, 2016 07:48PM Reply Quote
Saying that the Mac is not a Titanic anymore. iOS is the cash cow now.

John Willoughby – November 22, 2016 06:31AM Reply Quote
But how long will iOS continue to be a cash cow? In my subjective opinion, it's already become too busy/complex for its current uses. Where are they going to take it from here? Assuming that the hardware is compelling iOS can still grow market share, but how compelling is that hardware going to be? I'm guessing that it will get thinner... and have longer battery life. (*Deliberate belaboring of this phrase. It makes me happy.*)

Cloudscout – November 22, 2016 06:40AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Once upon a time, personal sewing machines were very popular because buying clothing was expensive and selection was somewhat limited. You were better off making your own or, at the very least, mending your own clothing when it would get damaged. Now, personal sewing machines are relegated to the hobbyist world.

John Willoughby – November 22, 2016 06:49AM Reply Quote
Not great for manufacturers of sewing machines and ancillary products or their stockholders.

Cloudscout – November 22, 2016 06:54AM Reply Quote
An episode from one of my favorite shows:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g_qLCdrbU78

Cloudscout – November 22, 2016 06:58AM Reply Quote
The part from 2:27 to 3:15 is relevant to this conversation, I think.

johnny k – November 22, 2016 08:26AM Reply Quote
Not disagreeing with you, JW. Cash cow implies complacency. It'll remain one for at least another 10 years but the problem vis a vis stock price is that growth is over, the market is saturated. Seems clear that Apple's going to get their growth from the ecosystem around it, but it's a bunch of small streams that will surprise if they do well. Some of those streams (namely headphones and watches) have the potential to become next-generation platforms.

But this is the Mac thread, and the Mac is walking dead. The mechanics of the Mac transition happening is what worries me about what comes next. It implies a disconnect with user base which doesn't bode well for product development in general (see: Watch). We all like Phil and Hair Force One because they seem like down-to-earth Mac fans themselves. Who's championing the post-Jobs product categories? Spiritually it feels like Ive, and maybe Cook to the extent that he likes exercising. Jeff Williams, mini-Cook, is technically the Apple Watch product manager. Who's overseeing AirPods?

John Willoughby – November 22, 2016 08:37AM Reply Quote
>Who's overseeing AirPods?

I suspect that whoever WAS overseeing them isn't anymore.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login