Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 12:25PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

johnny k – November 02, 2016 01:08PM Reply Quote
So Phil saying that the headphone jack was left on for professionals didn't extend to...professionals. So not a lot of people used it. Is that Apple's brand? To drop things because they're not popular?

Cloudscout – November 02, 2016 01:34PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They're targeting the lowest common denominator for their decisions, then?

johnny k – November 02, 2016 02:24PM Reply Quote
I like Chuq's take, that 4 multipurpose ports + dongles allow them to cater to a wider range of needs. Essentially pushing the options to things you can plug in, just like PCI -> Thunderbolt. As computers dwindle, I suppose even Apple with its millions sold will want to consolidate to fewer models. Doesn't bother me; only time I need dongles are at my desk. Fine, all in the name of make a portable more portable. Removing optical audio most likely doesn't save space, so it smells more like cost-cutting. Again there, there are probably better options now. If I get back into recording, I'll get a Thunderbolt/USB-C multichannel audio interface anyway. Just a little irritated because I bothered to run an SPDIF cable in the wall.

I like the new machines. A bit of my frustration comes from the declining value — they cost more and with few performance improvements (apparently). But most of the frustration is from what this presages. The overall feeling of neglect, the slowing pace of progress, and Apple's inability to get out of its own way to let users fix the problems themselves, or even communicate anything other than RDF... which only works when you have a supreme bullshit artist. I'm interested to see what the spring brings. I think a Thunderbolt 3 iMac will be my next machine, and last me 6-8 years.

James DeBenedetti – November 02, 2016 03:07PM Reply Quote
johnny k
But most of the frustration is from what this presages.

Pretty much this. I actually like the new MBPs, but they seem too weak for a primary system, and too expensive for a secondary one.

ARL (Moderator) – November 02, 2016 03:07PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Gotta sell those (not yet shipping) earpods!

The sucky thing about that for audiophiles is that's one less USB C port for other things.

Intentionally crippling existing functionality is a dick move (or maybe they had to because it's soooo thin) and I don't think even Apple is sure what their grand plan is.

I think it's throw spaghetti at a wall and see what sticks.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/02/2016 03:08PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – November 02, 2016 03:44PM Reply Quote
I think that it's "If Tim Cook would use it in a day's work, put it in. Otherwise, it's out."

ARL (Moderator) – November 02, 2016 05:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
His myopia is worse than Steve's

ARL (Moderator) – November 04, 2016 03:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

El Jeffe – November 05, 2016 01:58AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
GOOD

John Willoughby – November 06, 2016 11:50AM Reply Quote
It's all Band-Aids on the gaping wound where professional machines should be.

John Willoughby – November 14, 2016 08:19AM Reply Quote
Ars Technica review of the new MBP's.

If you've got a MacBook Pro that you bought in 2012 or earlier, and if you're convinced of the potential utility and novelty of the Touch Bar, these 2016 MacBook Pros were just about worth the wait.

That's... underwhelming praise.

John Willoughby – November 14, 2016 11:09AM Reply Quote
A more flattering review from Gizmodo. Points out that the graphics card was specifically picked to maximize "work" tasks rather than gaming. And it shows in the benchmarks, although I wouldn't use a port of a PC game to be my baseline.

ARL (Moderator) – November 14, 2016 03:03PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Points out that the graphics card was specifically picked to maximize "work" tasks rather than gaming.

Because that's when framerates really count, when you're in the middle of a spreadsheet.

Being slightly less snarky, I'd be interested to see if the new MBPs handle streaming video better than my current one.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/14/2016 03:05PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – November 15, 2016 08:23AM Reply Quote
SSD in the TouchBar MBP's can't be removed or upgraded. Seems like a dick move. Not surprising that Apple has backed off on easy user upgrades.

ARL (Moderator) – November 15, 2016 03:12PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
And the RAM is soldered on too.

Extreme planned obsolescence. When a component dies the whole machine does too.

Are they deliberately trying to kill the Mac?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 11/15/2016 03:13PM by ARL.

Cloudscout – November 16, 2016 05:37AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They're trying to shorten the upgrade/replacement cycle.

ARL (Moderator) – November 16, 2016 05:04PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
It'll be shortened alright. To zero.

johnny k – November 18, 2016 08:16AM Reply Quote
Had expiring Dell credit and a need to replace a flickering old monitor. Was wrestling with spending it on 4K resolution or color accuracy. Ended up going with the latter, partially because I'm not sure about the ability or quality of a monitor's native scaling down to what my MBP can drive, and partially because it feels like macOS would make a 4K display a really sharp 1920x1080 screen, which would effectively lose me screen real estate over a normal 2560x1440 27" screen. How do y'all balance these?

El Jeffe – November 20, 2016 09:05AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Bought a Roku Premiere +
Just wanted some 4k source.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login