Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

porruka (Admin) – July 12, 2018 10:52AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.

While I doubt any laptop that doesn't scorch your nether regions will satisfy your demand for graphics prowess, it does not appear to be as bad as the link you mention. The chip is actually the 560X on the high end (from your same source):

"We recommend the AMD Radeon RX 560X for gaming with highest details at resolutions up to, and including, 1680x1050."

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpudb/3197/radeon-rx-560x-mobile

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/12/2018 11:05AM by porruka.

John Willoughby – July 12, 2018 12:08PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
porruka

"We recommend the AMD Radeon RX 560X for gaming with highest details at resolutions up to, and including, 1680x1050."

Thanks for catching that... that does, indeed, suck less.

John Willoughby – July 12, 2018 12:41PM Reply Quote
Chip from my almost three-year-old Windows PC: "We recommend the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970M for gaming with highest details at resolutions up to, and including, 1920x1080."

So, Apple's close to catching up with where Razer was in 2015.

ddt – July 12, 2018 04:23PM Reply Quote
If you act quickly, there are some 2015 models still available.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – July 12, 2018 09:31PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

ARL (Moderator) – July 12, 2018 09:33PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Re: New laptops - The top-end model is a cool $4K in Australia. Back to the bad old days of the 90s we go…

In other news my standard wired extended keyboard started playing up the other day. I went into the city to see what my options for replacing it are/were. With Apple my options were the wireless magic keyboard - $139 for the dinky small version, or $179 for the “luxury” of an extended keyboard. USB wired keyboards are no longer available. OR if I really wanted to blow my dough, for an extra $35 I could get a space grey one.

So, after ranting (a little too loudly) in the store “FFS, Steve Jobs has been dead for 5 years and we still can’t get a decent keyboard!!!?” I left and hooked up a $20 Microsoft keyboard instead. I still occasionally get the function keys mixed up but that’s quite minor compared to not feeling a chump for shelling out $200 for a replacement keyboard.

John Willoughby – July 12, 2018 09:45PM Reply Quote
ARL
Hey JW, have you checked this out:

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicegpu/

Saw it, and that's cool and all, but if I wanted my laptop to require the top of a desk, I'd have saved some money and bought a desktop.

James DeBenedetti – July 12, 2018 10:39PM Reply Quote
The GPU is essentially the same as my (wife's) 2016 model. Wait until next year if you can.

johnny k – July 12, 2018 10:56PM Reply Quote
I'm bummed that my 2010 MBP won't run Mojave. Other than that it's going strong thanks to cheap large storage options. Which is also why, when my sister needed a lighter machine last week, she replaced her 2012 15" with a... 2012 13". Whenever I have to replace mine, I may just get an iMac and an iPad.

James DeBenedetti – July 12, 2018 11:36PM Reply Quote
I use an iMac and iPad combo now. The former is far more powerful, and the latter much easier to handle (with more battery life) than a MacBook Pro. I had to put a desk in the living room to make it happen though.

John Willoughby – July 13, 2018 10:36AM Reply Quote
James DeBenedetti
I had to put a desk in the living room to make it happen though.

Yeah, that's the kicker.

johnny k – July 14, 2018 12:14AM Reply Quote
James, what's your iPad setup?

Roger – July 14, 2018 07:42PM Reply Quote
The apparent conclusion to Keyboardgate. Apple is apparently pretending (for legal reasons?) that the "improvement" to the new keyboard is that they made it "quieter" — rather than blocking dust, which is what the component was patented to do. Nice that they (apparently) fixed it, anyhow.

ARL (Moderator) – July 14, 2018 08:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Apple really is a polished turd of a company. Only idiots would tolerate being treated with this sort of contempt, oh wait...

James DeBenedetti – July 14, 2018 09:24PM Reply Quote
Johnny – I have a 10.5” cellular iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard. I started with the 12.9”, but found it cumbersome in general, and didn’t like how the keyboard cover just flopped around when I folded it over the back. By contrast, magnets hold the keyboard cover to the smaller iPad so it doesn’t flop around when folded over. I also type faster/more accurately on the smaller keyboard.

I have a Bluetooth keyboard cover for my work iPad but hate using it because 1) it has to be woken up when you want to use it, 2) there’s nowhere to put it when you want to use the iPad without a keyboard, and 3) it has to be turned off even when not attached if you want to use the software keyboard. The smart keyboard isn’t perfect, but it eliminates these problems and doesn’t need charging. Unfortunately, it’s only available for the Pro models.

2GB of cellular service is $10/month extra on my T-Mobile plan, and that’s usually enough for me. I bought the 256GB model so I could go digital with all my books and gaming publications (saves space at home and weight in my bag), but still have 188GB free.

I bought the Pencil, but never really use it. I thought it would be great for taking notes at work, but it’s really noisy when I write quickly, so I gave up on that idea.

bahamut – July 18, 2018 09:42PM Reply Quote
Oh man...

https://youtu.be/Dx8J125s4cg

This video seemed well done to me.

As did this one...

https://youtu.be/mdRpgWYWCZg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/18/2018 09:48PM by bahamut.

Mokers (Moderator) – July 19, 2018 12:13AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I'm starting a new job and Ithink I will be getting a PC. Can't justify a MBP cost for the performance...

ddt – July 19, 2018 08:03AM Reply Quote
Good luck on the new job!

ddt

John Willoughby – July 19, 2018 03:39PM Reply Quote
Gee... looks like the new MBP is too thin for adequate cooling of its high-end CPU. Who could have foreseen a circumstance where computer could be TOO thin? (Hint: Anybody for whom a "Pro" computer is intended for.)

Mokers (Moderator) – July 19, 2018 05:57PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
The thing is, apple had to know this, right? Like they tested i7s and i9s and even though they might run at the same clock and perform about the same most of the time, the i9 makes more money...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login