Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

John Willoughby – February 12, 2018 09:25AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
I like the HomePod for music, and airplay. Siri is still dumb, but does seem to hear better than she does on my phone. Haven't figured out how to play a particular episode of a particular podcast yet. Alexas have been displaced in a diaspora. One to my youngest daughter's room, one will be going to my oldest's college dorm room. I'm sure that the Alexa legends will remember this as the Great Exile. "Next year, in the kitchen!"

John Willoughby – February 13, 2018 08:30AM Reply Quote
I found out the other day that my wife was running Yosemite on her MacBook Pro. I made her back everything up, then upgraded her to El Capitan. Turns out, that's as far as she can go with a 2009 MBP. While I don't really want to buy her a new MBP (she doesn't really have a problem with her current machine's glacial speed... she games on a PC), I am uncomfortable being so far behind on security updates. I may have to force a new machine on her, even though she doesn't like the aesthetics of the new machines.

My usual policy, of "upgrading" her to my current MBP and getting a new MBP for me isn't really viable here, as mine is a 2012 and will soon have the same problem. Plus, she needs a 2 TB internal drive and I don't have one.

I really don't want to reward Apple for not offering a MBP that I actually want, but unless I want to move my wife to Windows entirely I will probably have to get her a new or refurb MBP.

ARL (Moderator) – February 13, 2018 01:06PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I only just upgraded to El Capitan on my iMac. Too wary of all the changes in Sierra etc

El Jeffe – February 13, 2018 01:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
My Sierra has been pretty good upgrade.

johnny k – February 14, 2018 03:52AM Reply Quote
Not blaming it on High Sierra but things have been pretty unstable the last two months or so. Mostly in dealing with external disks. Sometimes can't eject them, so I yank the cords (why is dismounting still a thing?). Sometimes in launching/quitting apps. I'll bet a clean install would fix it, but who has the time?

porruka (Admin) – February 14, 2018 05:17AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Dismounting is still a thing because of off-device write caching and other (intentionally or not) lazy i/o operations. Some action has to force a clean exit point.

johnny k – February 14, 2018 05:28AM Reply Quote
If we can put a man on the moon, etc.

porruka (Admin) – February 14, 2018 06:55AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
JK,

I'm sure you were (mostly) being tongue-in-cheek but the problem is an interesting one to dissect anyway.

johnny k
If we can put a man on the moon, etc.

Oh, the technology part is a solvable problem. It probably wouldn't even be that difficult overall, IMO.

Getting every peripheral manufacturer to build standard-interfaced, redundant, self-powered, self-identifying systems into every storage device (including those meant for internal), having every core system code then offload the performance enhancements that come from the current scheme onto those devices (when the device is capable), and then living through the inevitable customer howling about being forced to into something (probably more expensive) during the transition (not to mention the consumer level data loss when they think every device is now truly hot unpluggable)? That's the rub.

We've lived through transitions before and as many of is here are end-user-centric technologists, we can see the immense value in making the leap. It still won't happen for a long time.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 14, 2018 12:47PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I still remember that hot-plug firewire demo. Or at least I think I remember. Steve demonstrated it on the blue and white G3. hot unplug, followed by a hot plug. a file copy resumed maybe? Could be something I made up in my imagination over the years.

El Jeffe – February 14, 2018 01:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Michael Balas right after Final Cut was brought into the fold, I attended a session in Indy, and HE did the firewire unplug/plug about 20 times while talking.

johnny k – February 14, 2018 07:16PM Reply Quote
Nah, if Apple can write a whole file system, it can solve the UI problem by itself.

tomierna (Admin) – February 15, 2018 03:14AM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
John, you might be able to install the newest macOS with a bit of patching:

https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/how-install-macos-sierra-on-older-mac-3654960/

John Willoughby – February 15, 2018 06:35AM Reply Quote
Thanks, Tom, I'll look at that.

John Willoughby – February 15, 2018 06:36AM Reply Quote
Another fine mess Apple's gotten itself into. "For use in the home. Well, not THERE."

Roger – February 15, 2018 07:44AM Reply Quote
I know you guys hate it when I say "this wouldn't have happened if Jobs were still alive" but leaving a mark on Danish-oil-finished wooden furniture? Jeez. It's like saying the HomePod won't register the user's voice if they're wearing a black turtleneck.

El Jeffe – February 15, 2018 01:08PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Nah, there's a LOT of stuff Steve would've done different. (ly).

ARL (Moderator) – February 17, 2018 03:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Another fine mess Apple's gotten itself into. "For use in the home. Well, not THERE."

I think if Steve were still here his answer would be the same as antenna-gate: "Just hold, er place it different(ly)"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/17/2018 03:22PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – March 07, 2018 08:29AM Reply Quote
HomePod is still great for playing music, and podcasts that it knows about (and can parse from your speech). Siri is still god-awful and is, if anything, less useful now than when it was rolled out.

"Hey, Siri, play at fifty percent [volume]!"
"OK, playing 50 cent!"

Seems like, in the middle of a song, it ought to favor my request for a volume change over switching to an artist I never listen to. Or, you know, understand English.

Tried to plug in my old Amazon Echo a few days ago, so that my wife can listen to podcasts that Siri can't decipher. It was bricked... dead as a doornail. No reset could restore it. So it lasted about three months, and apparently died when I unplugged it to replace it with the HomePod.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/07/2018 08:30AM by John Willoughby.

bahamut – March 08, 2018 07:55AM Reply Quote
I am a huge convert to Roon, which integrates with Tidal. It's what Apple should have done. I also just bought $10,000 speakers. Mind you, these were used and the current version cost $28,000. For the price I paid, I also had the best dealer in the country install them, which is not simple since they need to frequencies dialed in via a series of test tones to ensure that there aren't standing waves happening.

And yes, while crazy expensive, worth every penny.

John Willoughby – March 08, 2018 08:14AM Reply Quote
I'll... stick to my HomePod. But I hope that your speakers bring you years of entertainment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login