Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

Roger – October 18, 2017 09:26PM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – October 19, 2017 05:44AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Form over function, that's Apple.

John Willoughby – October 19, 2017 06:14AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Roger
Keyboardgate?

What people fail to realize is that the MacBook is THINNER. What else could matter?

As immortalized in song: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdS3tjEIqUA

2461.png

ARL (Moderator) – October 19, 2017 04:32PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
That final panel... sublime.

ARL (Moderator) – October 20, 2017 03:36PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I've been using my laptop extensively this morning and suddenly realised mine is suffering form this problem badly. Keystrokes get missed ALL the time. I thought it was my bad typing but it's the ridiculously thin keypads that give zero feedback.

Grrr!

John Willoughby – November 01, 2017 01:47PM Reply Quote
Three MacBook mistakes. Good read.

"You can no longer retreat…There is only one road, the road that leads forward."
-- A. Hitler, to German army at Stalingrad

ARL (Moderator) – November 01, 2017 04:54PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
Three MacBook mistakes. Good read.

"You can no longer retreat…There is only one road, the road that leads forward."
-- A. Hitler, to German army at Stalingrad

I concur...

johnny k – November 15, 2017 10:07AM Reply Quote
Marco Arment piled on, put his money where his mouth is and buying a 2015 MBP. I think I would probably do the same if I was in the market, but I feel like most of the issues can be solved with iteration - a more reliable keyboard (if that's possible in that form factor), the march of time for USB-C aided by a more cohesive strategy across product lines. I haven't used anything newer so I can't say really. Other than wanting things to be the way they were, which we all know Apple won't realistically do, what's the best strategy for them to fix these issues going forward? Speaking at the bigger level rather than just "add a USB A port."

When my Mac gives up the ghost, I'll probably get a top of the line non-pro iMac. Seem zippy enough.

John Willoughby – November 15, 2017 11:42AM Reply Quote
I'm hoping that, as with the iMac Pro, Apple may have started work on a "Pro MacBook Pro". I wouldn't expect to see it until the middle of next year, at the earliest, but I can hope.

And how screwed up is it that we have to wish for "a more reliable keyboard (if that's possible in that form factor)," rather than the best form factor compatible with a decent keyboard?

johnny k – November 15, 2017 02:00PM Reply Quote
Yeah, screwed up, but you're not going to get them to go backwards on a metric they care about, unless they have some other excuse, like the iMac Pro's bigger graphics card. These days, you have to work around the stubborn man-child in the white house.

John Willoughby – November 17, 2017 07:53AM Reply Quote
The Apple HomePod is delayed from December into 2018. It's okay, nobody buys anything in December.

dharlow – November 17, 2017 10:21AM Reply Quote
It seems they can't get anything out the door.

Roger – November 17, 2017 10:32AM Reply Quote
HomePod has had "Cube" written all over it since the day it was announced.

John Willoughby – November 17, 2017 10:56AM Reply Quote
The iPhone's success has crippled Apple's ability to focus on anything else. I don't blame them. If I tripped over a bale of cash every time that I entered my work cubicle, I'd be pretty damn distracted, too.

Mokers (Moderator) – November 17, 2017 11:38AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Roger

I keep wondering what is the question home pod was the answer to. Like who was saying, well, I want a smart home device, but let me wait until Johnny Ive has finished designing one?

El Jeffe – November 17, 2017 11:40AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
for what is the biggest, richest, and ass-innovating company of all time (I am not hyperbolizing, either; seriously) if they can't get it done, who can? It's really amazing at times what they can do and can't do.
I mean so many fundamentals are year after year not even touched (too numerous) and yet, they do so well in some areas, sell a ton, influence modern life, and have mega $$$$$. But many warts, too.

porruka (Admin) – November 17, 2017 11:46AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Mokers
Roger

I keep wondering what is the question home pod was the answer to. Like who was saying, well, I want a smart home device, but let me wait until Johnny Ive has finished designing one?

One thing I'll note as a semi-tangent; AirPods fell into a very similar state (including the delay) and are now considered both best-of-class (by most) and essential (by many) in the wireless headphone space.

As to the actual question HomePod answers, I think it's piecemealing the mythical Apple TV (display device, not streaming box). Since Atv 4 really is a HomeKit hub, HP doesn't have to be, but Atv doesn't have a "whenever you feel like it" voice interface, which Amazon is demonstrating is appealing to a category of users.

I'm still on the fence about whether it's actually a nice-to-have or is more important to the connected home than I realize right now, but not every product has to reinvent an entire market. Accessories are acceptable if they (1) are good enough and (2) ship, IMO.

johnny k – November 17, 2017 01:23PM Reply Quote
It's just a little expensive for the "let's play with it and see if it works" crowd who gets $99 equivalents, so the audience is relegated to the Sonos buyers. Which may be fine.

Roger – November 17, 2017 04:27PM Reply Quote
Mokers

No kidding. And if it's a "smart home device" why does it need to be a $350 hi-fi sound system (remember the iPod Hi-Fi?) but still too tiny to have real bass — is it for talking to Siri, or is it for listening to music, or… what? If it's for talking to Siri it should be a teeny little cheap thing, like the Echo Dot. If it's a replacement for a stereo it should be enough larger that the laws of physics permit it to sound really good. The post-Jobs Apple is really bad at communicating the basic use-cases that each given dingus is for.

El Jeffe – November 18, 2017 03:03AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I tell you what I WANT... I want a very decent sounding, 5.1 or 7.1 or whatevs, that is self-powered, and self-dolby/surround. That is, no additional hardware needed. Wired or wireless, does not matter. But Apple would not make a wired product.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login