Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

bahamut – April 02, 2017 05:17PM Reply Quote
Why am I still using this ancient iPad Pro 12"? No more updates ever.

John Willoughby – April 03, 2017 07:26AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
You can tell that these guys are going to sue, and the "infringing" technology that they're going to sue about hasn't even been released yet.

Apple has not presented any evidence to substantiate its assertion that it will no longer require Imagination’s technology, without violating Imagination’s patents, intellectual property and confidential information. This evidence has been requested by Imagination but Apple has declined to provide it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/03/2017 07:27AM by John Willoughby.

porruka (Admin) – April 04, 2017 05:14AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.

John Willoughby – April 04, 2017 06:14AM Reply Quote
"Not this year."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/04/2017 06:15AM by John Willoughby.

Roger – April 04, 2017 07:59AM Reply Quote
Woohoo! New Mac Pros will exist… sometime in the future!

How did they fuck this up this badly for this long? Yikes.

porruka (Admin) – April 04, 2017 08:02AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Roger
Woohoo! New Mac Pros will exist… sometime in the future!

How did they fuck this up this badly for this long? Yikes.

How indeed. Good question. Still, a public mention that it's being remedied is both highly uncharacteristic and welcomed. What I found particularly interesting in the version I posted (haven't cross-referenced with the plethora of other accounts) is that Apple will be returning to Pro displays too.

Mokers (Moderator) – April 04, 2017 09:22AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
They at least dropped the price. Not updating the hardware was one thing, pricing it like it was still cutting edge was stupid.

John Willoughby – April 04, 2017 09:34AM Reply Quote
I think that there must have been a change of course; perhaps because of the reactions of professionals to the latest MacBook "Pro" as well as the slowly rising uproar over the stagnation of the Mac Pro, perhaps for other reasons. I think that all of the drawbacks to the current Mac Pro have been apparent for years, and for the next major iteration to be a year (or more) from now is an indication to me that there has not been a plan to replace it until very recently.

johnny k – April 04, 2017 09:36AM Reply Quote
Two years' minimum development, plus lining up with the release schedule of critical components, perhaps.

dharlow – April 04, 2017 03:43PM Reply Quote
Just slap the new components into the old design I will be perfectly happy with that. Just make sure it has old style USB ports along with USB-C and Thunderbolt.

John Willoughby – April 05, 2017 06:42AM Reply Quote
No plans for ARM-based or touchscreen Macs.

[EDIT]

At least with "the kind of ARM processors used in the iPhone and iPad."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/05/2017 06:44AM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – April 06, 2017 07:57AM Reply Quote
New iMacs a-comin'.

I wish they'd ditch AMD...

[EDIT]

I guess that this should be in the rumors thread, but it looks very plausible to me. (Not an adequate excuse, but I don't want to cross-post now.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2017 07:59AM by John Willoughby.

John Willoughby – April 06, 2017 11:27AM Reply Quote
Heh. 2019?

Ahead of Apple's announcement, Holwerda says the Mac Pro was in limbo, and Apple wasn't sure what was going to happen to the machine.

Apparently, the negative response to the MacBook Pro with Touch Bar, which many complained was not oriented towards pro users, was a major factor.

The decision to move ahead with a modular Mac Pro replacement was made "in recent months" with development starting "only a few weeks ago," suggesting it's going to be a long wait.

Lo, even as I said unto you, so has it proven.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/06/2017 11:28AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – April 06, 2017 11:43AM Reply Quote
Jesus Christ. They're Trumpian in their denial. What happened to the Apple that's constantly making prototypes on the back burner?

Remember the third generation iPod Shuffle? Basically the Mac Pro trashcan of iPods, with no controls. 18 months later they switched back to the style that made it a hit. Apple should just stick a modern motherboard in a previous-gen Mac Pro case that's been given a cosmetic update so Ive can save face. Use steel and shave a millimeter off.

John Willoughby – April 06, 2017 12:18PM Reply Quote
I'm sure that Apple's got iOS plans out to the horizon, but you'll never get a photo of a trendy celebrity using a Mac Pro at a gala event, so it's not a priority.

El Jeffe – April 06, 2017 05:07PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
agreed

bahamut – April 10, 2017 05:36PM Reply Quote
It's ludicrous. Cyanide suicide.

John Willoughby – April 17, 2017 08:14AM Reply Quote
Ludicrous speed!

And all it takes is a third-party unsupported solution to turn your laptop into a desktop.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/17/2017 08:14AM by John Willoughby.

James DeBenedetti – April 17, 2017 12:16PM Reply Quote
I'm tempted.

I'm also tempted by the prospect of selling my 15" MBP (using my new 9.7" iPad Pro for most reading / surfing instead), then buying the price-reduced MP with D700s for "mobile" gaming between different rooms of the house.

John Willoughby – April 17, 2017 12:36PM Reply Quote
I like external enclosures, but they really do ruin the concept of a laptop, at least as I see them implemented. If I'm going to be tethered to the box, I might as well be using a desktop. I still kind of hope that OWC's DEC will turn out to have an external GPU, unlikely though that would be.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login