Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

ddt – December 22, 2016 09:12AM Reply Quote
Interesting. Okay, let's slightly rephrase the question -- do you have any needs (reliability and predictability aside) that Mac OS isn't meeting?

The example of Continuity is a good one. Recently I was working on something in Ulysses on the desktop, and realized when I was out running an errand that I could review and edit stuff on my phone's Ulysses app thanks to iCloud saving. Is part (PART) of the future of computing ubiquity and device agnosticism?

I guess speed and battery life are more practical examples, but that's no innovation per se, but design tradeoff choices (which ATP does go on about, not without reason).

ddt

bahamut – December 22, 2016 09:30AM Reply Quote
here's a concrete list to start… 

upgradeable (RAM and drives at least) fast iron for both laptop and desktop. the latter should be cooler than the new surface desktop.

AppleTV that is also a serious gaming platform and runs Amazon Prime as well as Netflix and all the other services, all in 4K, plus ability to play lossless audio, ALAC and FLAC via a nice audio interface (moode audio on a Pi can do it, so AppleTV should be able to).

a $399 macbook that we can buy for our kids.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 09:31AM by bahamut.

johnny k – December 22, 2016 09:49AM Reply Quote
Wait, are we talking macOS, or the hardware? The latter, sure, plenty of items, everything that Baha said. The software - I'm pretty happy with the state of cloud syncing. I don't need Continuity to have my documents sync, and I make great use of this every day with Simplenote, Todoist, Safari tab/history, and that hoary original, IMAP email. So of course part of the future/present of computing is ubiquity of info and agnosticism, though it may only be within a company's ecosystem. Better development tools are always nice, and we haven't yet seen iOS-level innovation there. It's really painful to develop an app or even a UI. Lots of interesting tools out there that point the way, but Apple has to pick them up to make any viable solutions.

But I'm old and only want to keep using my tools, with less friction. Someday iOS on an iPad Pro will probably be my workstation, so I'd be happy if Apple spent more time there rather than macOS. But it doesn't seem like they're trying too hard for pros on any platform.

John Willoughby – December 22, 2016 11:27AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Apple needs to make sure that the services that it is increasingly tying into macOS are robust, solid, easy to use and explain. iCloud is way too fragile for the limited things that it offers, iCloud Drive has a confusing UI if used on multiple machines. iTunes is... iTunes. If services are where Apple is planning to make its money, they need to be better. Not just an initial implementation followed 18 months later by a course correction, followed by neglect.

ARL (Moderator) – December 22, 2016 02:57PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
ddt
What innovations would you like to see in Mac OS?

ddt

JK nailed it with:

jk
Really, I don't want innovation - I just want fewer bugs.

I want their marketing to match reality for a start.

Specifically for MacOS:

1. Throw out every UI "innovation" since 10.6. In particular the stupidly thin scroll bars (that you have to manually enable) that no longer have arrows at top & bottom. It may look more minimalist, but for a disabled user I have to click and hold the stupidly thin grey bar to make incremental page scrolls which has badly affected my productivity. Also, get rid of that undefined area at the top of document windows that pops up with the "rename/duplicate" dialogue box/ I don't want or need that functionality. If I'm clicking the top of a document it's to move it or (if I'm clicking on the icon) to drag & drop into another app or folder.

2. Apple goes on about the wonders of its accessibility measures -- but if you buy a new Mac and only type with one finger, you PHYSICALLY CANNOT setup the computer as it insists on an AppleID (either existing or a new one) which requires a "@" in the emial address. This could be fixed by having sticky keys able to be activated at first startup but no, Apple doesn't do that (Microsoft does).

3. Fix iTunes. For the love of god, just fix it. How? Well, iOS has a separate music, videos and iTunes store app. A clue, perhaps?

4. Fix iPhoto/Photos or whatever it's called now

5. Bring back Quicktime Pro. God that was a useful little app

6. For every app, have an assumption that some users will NOT be using iCloud, and where possible try to not have core functionality depending on an iCloud account or connection

7. Oh, and fix iCloud. Or maybe just nuke it and chalk it up to a rush of blood (see my thoughts on dropbox)

8. Fix Apple Mail (most recently the junk mail filters being dependent on iCloud - see #6)

9. Fix Siri

10. Stop trying to be cute hiding the library etc (or make it an easy system preferences option)

11. Bring back "save as" (or make it an easy system preferences option)

12. It would be great it there was some system preference for "don't worry about waking up all external drives, I'm just opening/saving on the boot drive"

13. Fix flash (yes, I know this isn't Apple)

There's more for MacOS but that's just off the top of my head.

MacOS hardware

1. If it's labelled "Pro", make it perform that way. I want my BBMBP and I'm not alone. Split products between "pro" and "for text edit only" (at the moment most is the latter)

2. Engineering should take precedence over marketing and design aesthetics (Jony can go make coffee table books, if his "thin & light" design anorexia hinders functionality)

3. If marketing states it has "state of the art graphics", make it perform that way

4. Give "real world, real use" battery life estimates, not "magic happy marketing world" ones

5. Everything Baha said about RAM, hard drives etc

6. An entry level AppleTV to compete with Chromecast. They had one, the AppleTV3, I wanted to buy another. I bought a Chromecast instead

7. Remove I/O connectivity only when there's a better replacement and it's genuinely legacy rather than "forced march" legacy

8. If Intel silicon is not improving, move MacOS to ARM with a similar Rosetta-style x86 emulation layer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/22/2016 03:00PM by ARL.

bahamut – December 22, 2016 04:48PM Reply Quote
Oh software? You want to talk about software…

The single biggest problem with the iPad is that selecting text is a complete bear. Why should it be? It prevents me from ever taking only the iPad Pro on a trip.

It's WAY too easy to accidentally swap between multiple keyboards on iOS.

Why the hell doesn't the Finder handle connections to network drives well? It seems that every time I wake from sleep my connections are borked, but there is no evidence of it until I actually click on the volume and get "connection failed"

Why does Safari STILL beachball my system?

Why won't the iWork suite save in the openly accessible .doc .xls and .pps formats?

John Willoughby – December 23, 2016 11:25AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – December 23, 2016 06:44PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
So, it's now just thinness that's the selling point then?

Well, to the rhythm of this little ditty:

Don't want no Flat Thin Mac...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/23/2016 06:47PM by ARL.

bahamut – January 04, 2017 04:22AM Reply Quote
What the heck is this? https://www.owcdigital.com/DEC/

Everything I've been missing? Well I don't see an HDMI port or any USB ports and why is it so goddamn big? Unless they connect it directly to the laptop's guts (how? not like Apple leaves bus connectors floating around anymore), I have this bad feeling they will be using that USB-C port on the unit to connect a jumper cable and the elegance will be lost. I got to say, much as I'm a fan of not thinner, this doesn't impress me. I'm sticking with my 2015 Macbook Pro… 

johnny k – January 04, 2017 05:49AM Reply Quote
Neat - the MBP is now thin enough that it can be the robotic core of a lot of custom solutions, like the iPhone. It would be funny if Apple actually embraced this sort of modularity now.

That's a rendering - it is supposed to have USB-A ports and Gigabit ethernet among others, and a 2.5" drive bay.

John Willoughby – January 04, 2017 12:09PM Reply Quote
I wonder if they could fit an external GPU in there... with a nice little Thunderbolt 3-Thunderbolt 3 connector to the MBP... could be amazing. Of course, I'd be tying my future to a third-party accessory for a first-party product that is deliberately moving away from my desired platform. Still... interested in seeing how it turns out.

ARL (Moderator) – January 04, 2017 05:26PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Stunning lack of features and tech specs to go with that 12MB "press photo kit".

When it has all this let me know.

Has the work experience kid at OWC been taking the piss with Photoshop?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/04/2017 05:28PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2017 06:41AM Reply Quote

Mokers (Moderator) – January 05, 2017 06:53AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Interesting, but how does it interface with the laptop? Like ARL said, I would think it should start with as many ports as their dock, especially at that thickness and footprint.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2017 08:03AM Reply Quote
I don't think of this as a dock that I leave on a desk; more of a semi-permanent part of the laptop that I carry around. We'll just have to wait until they have an actual project to truly evaluate it. I can already tell that I am assessing it as I want it to be, not by any announced capabilities.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2017 08:19AM Reply Quote
I know that I've been ranting about gaming laptops, but this is too much, even for me.

bahamut – January 05, 2017 10:06AM Reply Quote
Damn, I want one of those razors.
If the OWC DEC would have a shit ton of storage in it, well then, that could be very attractive… Although pricing out the latest Macbook Pro is kind of scary expensive. The big question to me is connection. A USB C to USB C cable is going to be fugly. Also how do you get it on and off? If it's easy to do, great. If not, I dunno, eskimo.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/05/2017 10:07AM by bahamut.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2017 10:33AM Reply Quote
Gizmodo article said in comments that their early prototype DEC used magnets (she thought) to affix itself to the MBP. I doubt that the connection would be a simple cable; probably a little widget bridging the two ports.

Obviously aluminum is non-ferrous. I don't know what magnets would cling to. I'm still leery of strong magnets around my data...

James DeBenedetti – January 05, 2017 04:13PM Reply Quote
John Willoughby
I know that I've been ranting about gaming laptops, but this is too much, even for me.

And here I thought you were a gamer. I guess it means you won't be buying this one either.

John Willoughby – January 05, 2017 04:57PM Reply Quote
James DeBenedetti
John Willoughby

And here I thought you were a gamer. I guess it means you won't be buying this one either.

I'm afraid not. It's nice to know that I have limits to my excess, I guess.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login