Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

ARL (Moderator) – December 19, 2016 07:41PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
ddt
Keep in mind that there are surprising and widespread populations who are active online (email and maybe not webmail, social media, photos, entertainment) who have almost never used a physical keyboard and a mouse. I've seen this when an Oakland city team brought in users to test some web services and portals and all these active online livers had no idea how to type, point, and click.

ddt

But they can #hashtag, selfie, status update, and check-in to just about anywhere & anything - and are a sign of the coming apocalypse...

John Willoughby – December 20, 2016 06:17AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!

bahamut – December 20, 2016 04:15PM Reply Quote
Do any of us still believe in Apple? I'm afraid I don't see how Apple is going to recover from this. They just don't give a shit. It's all garbage all the time. There were two anti-Apple hardware threads on Slashdot tonight and I didn't disagree with either.

Apple has absolutely nothing compelling for me. It kind of works, but nothing more than that. If Windows was a few cranks better--e.g. Linux base, ditch the registry crap and constant viral stream (although I am now used to habitually checking wife and kids machines for malware and generally find it)--I'd leave and not look back. When (if) the stock hits 120, I'm out for good,

ddt – December 20, 2016 04:24PM Reply Quote
There have always been anti-Apple threads on Slashdot (every thread mentioning Apple on Slashdot turns into an anti-Apple thread, but then again every thread mentioning climate change on Slashdot turns into a thread of climate change deniers and algoreisfat).

Then again, broken clock and all that.

ddt

bahamut – December 20, 2016 04:43PM Reply Quote
Agree, but Apple seems to be completely dysfunctional now and for a company with that kind of money behind it… I don't get why.

John Willoughby – December 20, 2016 06:06PM Reply Quote
bahamut
Agree, but Apple seems to be completely dysfunctional now and for a company with that kind of money behind it… I don't get why.

Maybe because the CEO knows more about supply chains than customers, the lead designer is more concerned with creating art than solid products, and the company is treating the product that was its foundation like the red-headed stepchild of a rented mule.

Or, you know, unforeseeable market trends.

ARL (Moderator) – December 20, 2016 08:05PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
John Willoughby
bahamut

Maybe because the CEO knows more about supply chains than customers, the lead designer is more concerned with creating art than solid products, and the company is treating the product that was its foundation like the red-headed stepchild of a rented mule.

Or, you know, unforeseeable market trends.

I keep looking for a "like" button when I see posts like this.

El Jeffe – December 21, 2016 12:09AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
funny, support guy stopped by my desk yesterday to work on my laptop, and he said "Where's your keyboard?"

It's a laptop... comes with one...

he said, most people use an external keyboard....

:|

ARL (Moderator) – December 21, 2016 02:12AM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

My God. Warring tribes in a dysfunctional company with more market cap than common sense.

This is worse than Microsoft in the final days with Ballmer, this is almost Amelio level bad...

Sell, sell, sell...

bahamut – December 21, 2016 04:59AM Reply Quote
I know, I should. Naively I want to wait until 120 before I pay Uncle Sam 15% for capital gains.

Cloudscout – December 21, 2016 05:46AM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
This is Trump's America now! I'm sure Capital Gains Taxes will be eliminated early next year.

johnny k – December 21, 2016 07:24AM Reply Quote
This is making me start to look into the repercussions. Can't remember the last time someone promised something so drastic and had a Congress behind him. Trump's plan doesn't seem to change the 0%/15%/20% capital gains brackets, but it does eliminate a 3.8% surtax on investment income for Obamacare.

But we're talking about iBoxes here, not AAPL. Pulling apart Cook's internal posting:

The desktop is very strategic for us. It’s unique compared to the notebook because you can pack a lot more performance in a desktop — the largest screens, the most memory and storage, a greater variety of I/O, and fastest performance. So there are many different reasons why desktops are really important, and in some cases critical, to people.

The current generation iMac is the best desktop we have ever made and its beautiful Retina 5K display is the best desktop display in the world.

Some folks in the media have raised the question about whether we’re committed to desktops. If there’s any doubt about that with our teams, let me be very clear: we have great desktops in our roadmap. Nobody should worry about that.

Doesn't say anything about 2017, sigh. So at least in the near future we can't expect anything more than an iMac brought up to par with the new MBP. USB-C, speed bump. Fine, if that's a real speed bump. He acknowledges that the iMac is the best desktop they have so hopefully there won't be a move to choose thermal efficiency to the exclusion of horsepower, at least any more than currently. If they do, that may indicate a higher tier is imminent, but imminent could be a long time.

"A greater variety of I/O" is interesting, because if Apple is willing to put only USB-C on the MBP, what would be different on a desktop? I totally expect a new iMac to mirror the MBP's ports plus a Gigabit Ethernet port. Just more of those for a new Mac Pro. Unless they're going to go back to an expandable pro solution. Cook didn't say the word "pro", but I don't know who else buys desktop Macs in the future.

The only progress (we can argue about the definition, but in Apple's eyes) made on Macs lately has been consolidating toward USB-C, slimming towards a Platonic perfect plane, Touch Bar and Touch ID, right?

From a strategic point of view, we also focus on things where software, hardware and services all come together and bring out the magic that only Apple can.

A reminder that Apple likes integration, and also doesn't make monitors any more. The perfect desktop experience is on an iMac where Apple controls the view. I can't see a new Mac Pro when USB-C has basically opened up the bus to external hardware, but then the iMac better be hotrodded beyond what Intel can do. What "magic" can Apple produce between software and hardware here? Hasn't OpenCL/Grand Central/Metal brought as much GPU performance to the general OS as possible already? With some research buzz lately, is there an AI engine powered by big GPUs in the wings? I'm grasping what role Apple sees the Mac playing in the future for customers beyond development.

John Willoughby – December 21, 2016 09:03AM Reply Quote
ARM will let them be thinner and have longer battery life. What more could the Mac need?

johnny k – December 21, 2016 09:34AM Reply Quote
C'mon now. If Cook acknowledges that performance is important in a desktop, I want to think of what that would actually look like given the real-world constraints. Maybe it is ARM, if their chip designers are doing something to actually give it better performance than what the iMac can do now. It's gotta be either that or a new thermally superior design.

John Willoughby – December 21, 2016 12:35PM Reply Quote

Mokers (Moderator) – December 21, 2016 01:57PM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
start finding your favorite linux distro now!

bahamut – December 21, 2016 06:24PM Reply Quote
Well given that iOS is rapidly becoming extinct, I wonder just why Apple thinks it's a good idea to concentrate on it. 11 basis points closer to sell today, sweet jesus… 

ARL (Moderator) – December 21, 2016 08:46PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Apple's golden age of innovation ended in 2012.

There will be no more "one more things". Apple is devoid of creativity and blinded by hubris.

They mistakenly think their user-base is fanatically loyal when most are just trapped in the ecosytem/walled garden looking for a way out.

I sound angry. I'm actually just sad. I feel like an Atari fan.

ddt – December 22, 2016 04:05AM Reply Quote
What innovations would you like to see in Mac OS?

ddt

johnny k – December 22, 2016 07:35AM Reply Quote
Great question, ddt. We're all wistful about the rate of progress in the old days, but let's face the reality that we're on the back end of the S curve. I'm still on last year's OSes because I am scared to switch in the middle of app development, so I don't know everything I'm missing, but I can see Siri being useful. I'm probably missing some cool things like Continuity because of my old hardware. Really, I don't want innovation - I just want fewer bugs. I hear people complain more about OS issues than hardware they don't have (last episode of ATP is just sad). But that won't make people used to the excitement of an Apple launch happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login