Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 10:08AM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

ARL (Moderator) – December 03, 2016 07:39PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!

Reddit user Azr-79 yesterday claimed his new base model 15-inch MacBook Pro with Touch Bar received only 3 hours and 45 minutes of battery life on a single charge, despite what he described as "normal usage" in the form of web browsing, watching YouTube videos, and software development.

Oh, my sweet summer child...

Watching YouTube means using the blasphemous Flash, likewise if you're watching an encrypted .h264 stream like netflix. For your lack of faith in the iTunes-only ecosystem, your battery must be punished...

When Apple says 10 hours battery life they assume you're running textedit with the display set down to minimum brightness.

dharlow – December 03, 2016 07:54PM Reply Quote
Chrome 55 now defaults to HTM5 h264 on youtube.

ARL (Moderator) – December 03, 2016 08:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
You don't have to uninstall flash?

(Thx for tip btw)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2016 08:22PM by ARL.

John Willoughby – December 05, 2016 06:31AM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
If you need performance, and you don't mind hacking your MacBook Pro and tethering it to a desktop, there's hope.

johnny k – December 05, 2016 07:37AM Reply Quote
I kind of wonder if the new Mac Pro will just be an external GPU for your MacBook Pro or iMac. If they don't reuse the trash can, hopefully it will look like this.

John Willoughby – December 05, 2016 09:02AM Reply Quote
Yeah, something like that would be nice for the desktop folks. I wonder if you could have an external CPU and RAM as well? Basically a whole system in an external cube, with the laptop for display, UI interactions, and permanent data storage.

For a while, I was wondering if Apple would have a laptop, maybe an ARM laptop, that would accept your iPhone as its core (for cellular internet and maybe CPU). No way, now, the laptops have gotten too thin. Too many moving any parts, anyway.

johnny k – December 05, 2016 06:17PM Reply Quote
I'd say no, just because Apple doesn't do modular. You get the cellular by wireless tethering now anyway, more elegant.

John Willoughby – December 09, 2016 07:20AM Reply Quote

porruka (Admin) – December 09, 2016 07:37AM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.

I take this as a good thing in the grand scheme. Sure, it's a faux pas on Apple's part to have announced (clearly) too early but the reported problems are hard problems; that heartens me that the company's innovation engine is still trying.

If we assume, as some would suggest, that Apple has lost its way, and if we also assume (as I think we must) that Apple's _standards_ haven't changed, these publicly visible fuckups will lead to real change/corrections.

The alternative, of course, is ugly^2.

ddt – December 09, 2016 08:01AM Reply Quote
I'm sad that Apple seems to not ever want to do the soft/swappable covers that help customize for ear canal sizes. Given how Apple's wired earbuds never stay in my ears, there's no way I'm going to get Airpods.

ddt

John Willoughby – December 09, 2016 08:30AM Reply Quote
porruka

I take this as a good thing in the grand scheme. Sure, it's a faux pas on Apple's part to have announced (clearly) too early but the reported problems are hard problems; that heartens me that the company's innovation engine is still trying.

If we assume, as some would suggest, that Apple has lost its way, and if we also assume (as I think we must) that Apple's _standards_ haven't changed, these publicly visible fuckups will lead to real change/corrections.

The alternative, of course, is ugly^2.

It also seems to indicate that they are not confronting the "hard problems" until WAY too late in the product development process. This should have been seen as a potentially major problem point a year ago, and dealt with before now. IMHO.

John Willoughby – December 12, 2016 06:11AM Reply Quote

ARL (Moderator) – December 12, 2016 12:54PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Ah well, good thing the phones have a legacy port for conventional headphones...

John Willoughby – December 12, 2016 01:40PM Reply Quote
I've seen other stories saying that the Airpods will be available by Christmas, in limited quantity. Maybe, if they're having productions issues, they're pushing the Beats back to get more W1 chips for Airpods.

John Willoughby – December 13, 2016 11:46AM Reply Quote
AirPods can be ordered now, currently delivering in mid-January.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/13/2016 11:47AM by John Willoughby.

ARL (Moderator) – December 13, 2016 04:11PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Christmas beta-testers! Yay!

porruka (Admin) – December 13, 2016 06:44PM Reply Quote
Failure is pre-greatness.
Hypothesis: Apple TV won't support 4K (regardless of the embedded hardware) until iTunes content is available in 4K. Based on the purported release schedules, that will still be a while.

Thoughts?

John Willoughby – December 13, 2016 07:04PM Reply Quote
Everything my Dad does on a computer, he does through a browser. Gmail is his email client. When he travels, he takes a first generation iPad with him that he forgets how to use in the time between trips. This leads me to spend a lot of time on Unpaid Family Tech Support Calls.

I figured that I'd see if a Chromebook would work for him, since Christmas is coming up. I got a Lenovo* and, boy, was I disappointed. Nice screen, tolerable keyboard, nice port selection, mediocre trackpad, terrible experience. I didn't think that the limitations of being browser-bound would hurt me, but man I felt like I was in a strait-jacket. No 1Password hurt. Having to log in with my 20-character gibberish Google password hurt a lot more. Every f***ing time. You can set a PIN to unlock the screen after a screen lock, but every restart takes the full password. I guess with 2FA I could shorten my Google password, but I want it to be tough. Browser not especially fast, but definitely Chrome. It seemed like they hobbled the Settings options though, perhaps because they aimed the Chromebook at education and didn't want little Johnny running amok.

Anyway, I thought that it would be a more compelling, if limited, experience than it was. I don't know if I'll bother sending it to my Dad. I don't know my way around it well enough for the inevitable Unpaid Family Tech Support Calls.

*Lenovo Chromebook N22 11.6" Notebook, IPS Touchscreen, Intel N3060 Dual-Core, 16GB eMMC SSD, 4GB DDR3, 802.11ac, Bluetooth, ChromeOS

John Willoughby – December 19, 2016 04:15PM Reply Quote
Chromebook returned to Amazon. Sic transit gloria mundi.

TIm Cook promises, "we have great desktops in our roadmap."

I'd find this more reassuring if he hadn't been so upbeat about 2016.

ddt – December 19, 2016 06:15PM Reply Quote
Keep in mind that there are surprising and widespread populations who are active online (email and maybe not webmail, social media, photos, entertainment) who have almost never used a physical keyboard and a mouse. I've seen this when an Oakland city team brought in users to test some web services and portals and all these active online livers had no idea how to type, point, and click.

ddt

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login