Spork Boards

iBox (the hardware)

Cloudscout's Avatar Picture Cloudscout – January 14, 2008 03:08PM Reply Quote
iBox
Box mini
Box Pro
BoxBook
BoxBook Pro

The more the boxes change, the more they stay the same... or don't.

(talk about the hardware here)

bahamut – February 04, 2008 05:05PM Reply Quote
Definitely aimed at a niche market.

Indeed. I have a friend who bought a 20th anniversary mac and a cube. Both after they were discontinued. I think I'll be talking to him about his new MBA next year.

Is there anything I can take out of the inside and replace with a second hard drive (like I did with the dead dvd drive in my MBP)?

One of the new 320gb 2.5" drives should make the unit MBA useful.

John Willoughby – February 04, 2008 05:43PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
No room, Baha, that's why it's so thin.

stan adams – February 04, 2008 05:48PM Reply Quote
Eventually the high cap drives will get thinned out too...

Dr. Phred was saying that the drive is one of the potentially field replacable items, right?

Dr Phred (Moderator) – February 04, 2008 06:29PM Reply Quote
owned by the mothership.
right. It's a standard but thin 1.8" IDE drive.

We got in our demo unit today. As I was showing it to people around the store the reactions where VERY positive. ANd many of those people had negative reactions after just reading the specs and seeing the pictures on the web.
All you have to do is hand it to someone and they are won over.

bahamut – February 05, 2008 12:28AM Reply Quote
maybe i can get rid of the battery. seems like the biggest thing in there. then you could mount one of these suckers to the bottom and have some real power.

http://www.batterygeek.net/Laptop_Tablet_PC_Battery_Packs_s/1.htm

yeah, that's the thought.... who's with me?

John Willoughby – February 05, 2008 02:16AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
Then why not just get a MacBook?

johnny k – February 05, 2008 04:17PM Reply Quote
Finally saw it in person at the Michigan Ave. Chicago store. EVeryone was crowded around the Air table 2 or 3 deep - weighing in hand, pinching the lid, looking at the profile. And the other tables were abandoned except for people surfing the web.

Very solid construction for how thin it is. The gestures, at least on my quick uninformed test, are sometimes useful but don't have the feel, IMO.

bahamut – February 05, 2008 05:57PM Reply Quote
people say its solid, so is it more solid than the mbp's? those are shite, desktop princesses.

bahamut – February 06, 2008 10:48AM Reply Quote
bzzt. thanks for playing. http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook-air-review.ars

look, even with all the problems i am on the road so much that i can easily imagine buying this thing in a fit of madness and using it on the days i don't do major graphic or web work. for a powerpoint or document processing (today's horror), it would be fine. the 17" is a monster.

most of all, i imagine the machine would be fantastic for plane flights. right? it's the macbook air.

but no way will i put down that chunk of change for a machine that doesn't have a removable battery and enough life to get me half way across the continent. what does steve do on planes, fiddle with his iphone? Oh, i guess if you're really privileged you have the seats with the adapters. fuck that, i don't.

maybe time to settle for a 12" powerbook?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2008 10:53AM by bahamut.

stan adams – February 06, 2008 12:05PM Reply Quote
Yep, sub three hour battery life is for shit, but as I've said before the "extension of a main computer" aspect of the Air makes me not part of the target market. I'm thinking the "lessons learned" WILL make there way to the MBs and MBPs. That's a good thing.

tomierna (Admin) – February 06, 2008 12:21PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
Removable battery, blah blah blah. I travel cross country all the time and have watched plenty of back-to-back movies without running out of power. On my 17" Behemoth. Without swapping batteries. I don't even have an additional battery.

If you use Seat Guru, you can find out if your plane has power in coach, and switch seats to get near one. Many Delta and American Airlines flights have power at EVERY seat in coach, especially the cross-country and international flights. I don't fly enough on other carriers to know what they have.

If you still feel the need to carry an external battery, you could get one of these, which although less elegant than an Apple-produced solution, would still work just fine.

stan adams – February 06, 2008 12:30PM Reply Quote
The power cord seems to make a helluva lot more sense than the bulk an external battery, but even then there have been days where I've moved around enough w/o flying that sub three hour life seems wicked short -- hell I've been at meetings for 4 hours and I've regretted not having the power adapter for my MBP.

El Jeffe – February 06, 2008 12:31PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
why can't they offer an/the OPTION (like one had with the old Nokia 51xx/61xx cell phones) of slapping a(nother) big(ger) batter on the bottom? I mean, add $200 to the price and double batter life and double thickness. SOMEBODY would do it. I personally have a FIFTY-SIX hour battery pack on my iPod Nano 1st Generation. It wraps AROUND the iPod and makes it about three times its size and 4 times the weight. But I NEVER run out of battery/charge!

http://www.i-luv.com/iLuv/product_info.php?cPath=71&products_id=269&iLuvid=9c7222d026ec44eff0e5b90c240cb18c

What a journey.

bahamut – February 06, 2008 07:53PM Reply Quote
Removable battery, blah blah blah. I travel cross country all the time and have watched plenty of back-to-back movies without running out of power. On my 17" Behemoth. Without swapping batteries. I don't even have an additional battery.

Sorry, esteemed host, but no way, that just flies in the face of anything I've ever seen or ever heard of except from Apple's fear and propaganda department.

See, for example, http://arstechnica.com/reviews/hardware/macbook-pro-santa-rosa.ars/4 for a real-life estimate or http://www.macworld.com/article/50950/2006/05/17mbpro.html

I concur with the 2.5 hour mark. That's what I get out of a new battery.

Maybe if these are hour long movies, perhaps, but with a DVD drive whirring away you really get 4 or 5 hours?

I've never ever had that or heard of anyone who has that kind of performance except for Steve. Maybe you got one of the miracle batteries they do testing on.

tomierna (Admin) – February 06, 2008 09:39PM Reply Quote
Hideously Unnatural
but with a DVD drive whirring away you really get 4 or 5 hours?

Well, that's where I get my gains - I'm usually watching movies I ripped or downloaded. Carrying around DVD media is a recipe for broken DVD media.

Oh, and to add to the voracity of my anecdotes, the last time I actually owned and swapped a battery in a Mac laptop was in the 5300ce.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/06/2008 09:42PM by tomierna.

Simon – February 12, 2008 01:49AM Reply Quote
http://www.macworld.com/article/131902/2008/02/1052applelistens.html

Thsi article decribes the UI changes in leopard that CS metioned, but the thing that caught my eye is the link at the end about midrange towers...

tliet – February 12, 2008 09:51AM Reply Quote
It's nice for Apple to listen to users for feedback, it would be nicer if they did it before shipping the OS. Although there's something to be said for the free publicity that results out of a nice out-cry once in a while. Plus your customers are paying for their own usability testing in the x.0 release.

About the mini tower; the article gives its own reasons why Steve will never allow it:

People who have in the past bought a Mac Pro or Power Mac G5, even though it was overkill, because it was the only real option for them—the Mac mini and iMac simply didn’t have the power or modest expandability these people needed. People in this group would, given the opportunity, purchase the MMMM instead of a Mac Pro.

Round 1; lost revenue

People who would be satisfied with the power and features of the top-of-the-line iMac but who already have their own display or who don’t want an all-in-one machine that forces them to buy a new display every time they buy a new computer. A few of these people who would have purchased an iMac will buy the MMMM instead, but some will buy an Apple display with it. And I’ll bet there are plenty of people in this group who wouldn’t buy an iMac, for the reasons I just noted, but would buy the MMMM.

Round 2; most of them buy an iMac anyway; so lost revenue if they don't pay for the built-in display. We all know what Apple charges for a display.

People who truly need some degree of upgradeability but don’t need—or can’t afford—the power or total expandability of a Mac Pro. There are plenty of people out there right now, especially Windows users, who want to buy a Mac, but don’t see a machine that fits their needs at a reasonable price. For this group, the MMMM is the Missing Mac.

Round 3; why confuse them? The iMac is for them, they just don't know it.

# People who don’t actually need upgradability but are convinced they do. The reality of the computer market is that the proportion of people who actually upgrade their computers beyond adding RAM is quite small. But at the same time, many of the people who will never upgrade their computers still think they’ll upgrade their computers—or at least want the security and comfort of knowing that they could. Many of these people would be well-served by the capabilities of an iMac, or even a souped-up Mac mini, but will never buy a “non-upgradeable” computer. The MMMM could quickly bring these people into the Mac fold.

Round 4; Better make sure it's not upgradable at all; built in ports & obsolescence; a win-win situation.

Knock out!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2008 09:52AM by tliet.

bahamut – February 12, 2008 04:53PM Reply Quote
mac = just call us steve's dongle.

El Jeffe – February 12, 2008 09:10PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
best little article I've read (mac-wise) in some time. THANKS for posting it. Don't hesitate to share more nuggets.

What a journey.

bahamut – March 11, 2008 02:44PM Reply Quote
goddamn. so my fancy machine has a problem with its graphics card.

kernel NVChannel(GL): Graphics channel timeout!

happens once a day leading to a total crash. happened today at the start of a presentation. arrgh.

google suggests that this is common to late model MBP's.

one guy had his motherboard repaired, seems happy enough. everyone else thinks it's a bug in the OS/graphic card interface.

goddamn.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login