Spork Boards

Granberry's Parlor

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:46PM Reply Quote
Politics. Don Granberry on the old Spork Boards was quite fond of talking about them, and here we continue on in that fine tradition.

John Willoughby – February 19, 2017 07:57PM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support

El Jeffe – February 20, 2017 12:28AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I think they think it's more of a good --> better. positive slope becoming more positive.

Mokers (Moderator) – February 20, 2017 04:40AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
Your upward trend is a result of selective endpoints. What does 1 year, 5 years and ten years look like?

ARL (Moderator) – February 20, 2017 01:34PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
We Jeffe, if you're that confident, it would simply be unpatriotic madness not to have a 100% US equities asset allocation.

Buy, buy, buy! Do it for Donald!

El Jeffe – February 20, 2017 03:12PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I'm confidant that I have no time to toil with it. Even though I was the only undergrad (non grad student) teaching assistant for my Finance professor. He approached me.
I think cyclically, a downturn is in the timing. But won't change my approach to let someone else worry about that for me.

El Jeffe – March 19, 2017 05:35AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Very very interesting quiz. How connected to mainstream blue collar white folks are you?

https://goo.gl/gL9bPD

I got 69

ddt – March 19, 2017 06:46AM Reply Quote
52 points but wow, that quiz seems to think blue collar is a collection of stereotypes (likes country music and NASCAR, eats at TGIFs, etc.).

ETA: Ahh, I mixed up Jimmy Johnson and Junior Johnson.

ddt

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 06:48AM by ddt.

John Willoughby – March 19, 2017 09:22AM Reply Quote
Cyberdyne Systems Customer Support
25. I am Bubble-Boy. The answer is,"The Moors."

My only consolation is that I would show a similar disconnect with the wealthy, hipsters, and most other groups.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 09:25AM by John Willoughby.

johnny k – March 19, 2017 10:11AM Reply Quote
Do the blue collar folks get a quiz to see how connected to mainstream city folks they are?

Mokers (Moderator) – March 19, 2017 11:56AM Reply Quote
Formerly Remy Martin
I scored 33. Upper middle class that grew up in a middle class family. Probably lots of points because I grew up in a small town and there were a lot of people around who didn't have college degrees. However, I do think we have to challenge the notion of "mainstream", as things like lack of college education, working on a factory floor, etc, is 1950s America.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/normal-america-is-not-a-small-town-of-white-people/

El Jeffe – March 19, 2017 03:00PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I wonder what the complete quiz with all options and weightings looks like.
I have always felt I was very much apart from my blue collar heritage. I know my family thinks so. Yet, I still had all the answers that put me fairly squarely in there. still.

ddt – March 19, 2017 03:56PM Reply Quote
There are tons of blue-collar families in urban environments. This I know. They don't connect with southern culture (country music, NASCAR) and may have worked in agriculture or service jobs rather than factory jobs. So I think that quiz is not measuring blue collar life but a certain stereotype of southern, industrial, working class.

ddt

ARL (Moderator) – March 19, 2017 04:00PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
48 (I had to ad-lib with the Australian equivalent of some questions, and I said I went to Outback Steakhouse, because hell, this is pretty damn outback).

I've lived on a farm, in a small town (less than 2500 people), in a town right next to large coal mines and power stations, and I've worked in cotton fields. I've been mostly well-off in my life, but I have also been poor (10+ years).

I can bluff my way through a redneck test. How many rednecks can bluff their way through a hipster/liberal test?

I dislike the central premise of this test that poor rural folk don't live in their own bubble, or that their particular bubble is somehow more "authentic".

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2017 04:12PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – March 19, 2017 04:45PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
so, I did find it to be an unexpected test again from the likes of PBS/NPR. Not sure what their angle is or what they are measuring. But I don't recall similar things from them focusing on this aspect as much. And I would not think they have a southern/white agenda. But again, not sure the motivation on this.

ARL (Moderator) – March 19, 2017 04:55PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I do have to admit though, that living in my current suburb has made me snobbish and somewhat hypocritical.

I can somehow be judgemental of some of the overprivileged, pretentious wankers in this suburb while simultaneously thinking "who the hell let them in?" when I see a tattooed singlet-wearing bogan wandering round.

I was going to make some profound point about pygmalion but I dropped my latte...

El Jeffe – March 20, 2017 12:10AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
oh my oh my. great post!!!

ARL (Moderator) – June 08, 2017 07:21PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
The UK election result is fascinating.

Thanks to the Trump effect the UKIP vote has disintegrated - as the rest of the world realises they'll give a hard pass to candidates who'll "shake things up."

And Corbyn, for all the derision by nearly all media (including the Guardian for God's sake) has achieved the best vote % since Blair (indeed, higher than Blair's 2001 result). Still won't win, but, yay marxism!

ARL (Moderator) – June 09, 2017 04:15PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I spoke too quickly about the Trump factor being eliminated. By a happy accident, the DUP will have a large say in UK policy for the foreseeable future.

This is a party of hate, the party of Ian Paisley.

Staunchly religious/conservative.
Anti-abortion
Anti-LGBTI
Climate-change-deniers (while simultaneously screwing up renewable schemes)

But, they're not catholic™, which is enough for 60% of the NI electorate (some of my relos included) to vote for them.

Kinda saddened that, given all the religious troubles in NI, there isn't a strong secular political party.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2017 04:15PM by ARL.

El Jeffe – June 13, 2017 10:51AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
December 05, 2010 05:24PM

El Jeffe
personally, I am for ROADS, but autonomous cars (not public transportation). We should be able to have autonomous cars within a decade; depending upon liability insurance/lawyers and such.

Six and a half years LATER....

Apple confirms working on autonomous cars.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2017 10:53AM by El Jeffe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login