Spork Boards

Granberry's Parlor

tomierna's Avatar Picture tomierna (Admin) – December 07, 2007 09:46PM Reply Quote
Politics. Don Granberry on the old Spork Boards was quite fond of talking about them, and here we continue on in that fine tradition.

ddt – June 24, 2016 12:03PM Reply Quote
So... you're saying the EU, the TRADING COALITION with banking, is communist?

Welsh as Scots are British, but they're not English. Obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGZinTeodc

ddt

Cloudscout – June 24, 2016 12:37PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
They hate the English. They're all Brits. They live on the island of Great Britain. Well, except for the Irish. They don't live on the island of Great Britain, but Ireland *is* a British Isle.

Ron Burns – June 24, 2016 02:24PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Sorry guys, as you might imagine I have just had 36 hours without sleep. I'll try to put something coherent together tomorrow...

El Jeffe – June 24, 2016 02:25PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
ddt
So... you're saying the EU, the TRADING COALITION with banking, is communist?

Welsh as Scots are British, but they're not English. Obligatory link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwGZinTeodc

ddt

Yes. communist the lot of them! (I'm just kidding!)
Yes, I should have said the welsh/scottish people I met did not hesitate to sling mud on the ENGLISH/ENGLAND/and their government. My bad.

Cloudscout – June 24, 2016 02:47PM Reply Quote
Det finnes ikke dårlig vær, bare dårlige klær!
Ron Burns
Sorry guys, as you might imagine I have just had 36 hours without sleep. I'll try to put something coherent together tomorrow...

Anxiously awaiting your comments.

El Jeffe – June 24, 2016 03:21PM Reply Quote
What a journey.
Always enjoy Rons input.

James DeBenedetti – June 24, 2016 03:37PM Reply Quote
Hmm... I'm not sure what's worth staying up 36 hours for. That indicates a distressing lack of alcohol consumption related to the event.

ARL (Moderator) – June 24, 2016 04:22PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
I have two cousins living in NI who are happy with brexit. I have two other cousins (one currently living in Amsterdam, one who used to live there) very unhappy about brexit.

Also, just because who doesn't like nuanced analysis, here's Donald's take on it all...

ddt – June 24, 2016 04:45PM Reply Quote
Geez, Ron, get some sleep! You need self-care!

Though, come to think of it, that's kind of the whole issue now... .

ddt

ddt – June 25, 2016 05:49AM Reply Quote
DPBD

As for whether it's worth staying up for, I guess if it's your job, there was plenty of work to be done in the last few days around Brexit: http://www.lawyersgunsmoneyblog.com/2016/06/brexit-who-voted-how-evidence-from-ashcroft

ddt

ddt – June 27, 2016 04:07PM Reply Quote
There's nothing that isn't just pure sadness around that whole story. That must have been such a stress-filled and hard life for the family even before that.

ddt

Ron Burns – July 01, 2016 04:54PM Reply Quote
"We look to Scotland for all our ideas of civilisation." Voltaire
Well Im not aware of upsetting anyone of chinese ethnicity, but the times here are certainly interesting! Im sorry, I said last week that I’d try to say something about what’s going on here, but the rate at which things are happening is almost literally stunning! So far we have had the assassination of a Member of Parliament, an almost totally unexpected outcome to the referendum on quitting the EU, the consequent collapse of the £, the FTSE100 & 250, the resignation of the Prime Minister, the melt-down of the opposition Labour Party, the unexpected emergence of a Tory Leadership candidate who had been acting as campaign manager for another (Boris Johnson) who immediately withdraw from the contest. Incidents of racist/xenophobic abuse have increased substantially, the Scots - who voted overwhelmingly to stay in - are pursuing possible ways of achieving this independently of England and Wales - and Northern Ireland doesn’t bear thinking about (and almost nobody did during the campaign). Growth rates next year are forecast to fall to 0.2% from 2.0%, which I believe has worried the POTUS. Meanwhile the EU has been playing hardball over the way the exit is going to proceed. The Leave campaigners are quite a disparate group and have no coherent strategy, nor indeed goals, for exit, and neither has the Government, which didn’t expect the brexit result. Do have a word with your Texit people - it’s a really good idea to have a clue about what to do were they ever to get a decision to secede… In the EU (of which we are embarrassed continuing members for the moment) the referendum result has provided a boost for the far-right parties which have already been doing pretty well in the face of the ME refugee influx). The EU has sound reasons for making our departure as uncomfortable as is possible pour encourager les autres… It is possible that the independent UK will not be given “passporting” to allow the City financial sector to trade into the Eurozone which would mean the transfer of upwards of 40,000 jobs to move to Frankfurt/Paris which would take over from the City as European financial centre(s). My son-in-law works for a French bank in the City and is very concerned about having to move the family (at best). Gilts yields have crashed and annuity rates are down 8%, so the roots of a pension “time-bomb” are being fed and watered.

So not much really..

The public response is still quite limited. There’s some evidence of buyer’s remorse - anecdotal tales of out voters changing their minds overnight (as the financial turmoil - about which they were warned - set in) and some interesting Google traffic analysis showing lots of UK searches (after the vote) on “What is the EU?” and “What will happen if UK leaves EU?”. Such reaction as there is so far is I think influenced by the failure of 80% of the population to realise what they have done! They think that it was a simple contest resolved on the 23rd. There is little evidence that the public understand that we are at the very beginning of a hugely complex and disruptive process, much of the impact of which will take years to be palpable. I think its a bit like the period at the beginning of WWII called here the “Phoney War” - from September 1939 to April 1940 when, after the attack on Poland apparently nothing happened.

It is all totally insane…

Sorry to bore. As if there wasn’t enough to occupy me I’m simultaneously in a little local difficulty with resident’s opposition to a proposal from our Town Council (of which I am Planning Committee Chair) to develop a Town Square on some underexploited land. For some light entertainment:
Town Square land-grab
(The object of the exercise is actually to protect the area from building by developers..)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 07/01/2016 04:56PM by Ron Burns.

ddt – July 01, 2016 05:27PM Reply Quote
Bogspeed, Ron! (That is the traditional well wishing cheer for a Scot, yes?)

Thanks for the info. We've seen some of that percolate into news sources here in the US, and we're a bit aghast, and worried that the most retrograde elements of our own voting population might turn out in November (see the charts at http://www.ginandtacos.com/2016/06/27/exit-english/).

What is the news about Northern Ireland?

ddt

John Willoughby – July 01, 2016 05:40PM Reply Quote
Save us, Lord, from the furries of the Norsemen!
Ron Burns
Do have a word with your Texit people

I prefer "Texcrete" people. Texit is too nice a descriptor.

El Jeffe – July 02, 2016 12:47AM Reply Quote
What a journey.
I've never even heard of Texit. But personally I am supportive of change. I have thought for some time that our USofAmerica should see more changes in statehood/states. Come and go. Merge and split.
Like those that think/thought that divorce is good for holy matrimony, I think it is or should be equally good for area that are politically divisive as well.

That girl in your Bournemouth !

Anecdotally, and I have no idea if it's related, but I spent some time looking at travel airfare and I saw yesterday some of the cheapest Trans-Atlantic flights I've ever seen. Drat it all that it comes at a time when I am losing all my money to support my children's education! Wife would LOVE to do SOMETHING on/for our 25th wedding anniversary, but I am bleeding out here.... (I digress)

Airfare: https://www.kayak.com/explore/ORD/?budget=550
I think in recent years, $700 to over $1,000 round trip from midwest to Europe was typical. $444 to Paris is great. Fares from NYC are even lower by nearly $100.

One up and down in this or that should/could balance out another up or down. I must focus on myself and family, no one else will or is.

As long as there are not implications to the TORTOISES Ron.

johnny k – July 02, 2016 08:25AM Reply Quote
Sure, some Texans talk about seceding once in a while, like a lot of southerners. But please, no Texit. Austin will be West Berlin.

ddt – July 02, 2016 09:38AM Reply Quote
"Build the adobe wall!"

Yeah, Texas gets an awful lot of money from the Feds, far more per year than they send out. And without U.S. trade agreement structure and support, that'd go rather bad rather quickly.

847218.jpg

ddt

johnny k – July 02, 2016 11:32AM Reply Quote
"far more than they send out"

Not very true. It's difficult to find year-over-year data, but Texas has only recently gone in the red to the federal government. It's important to consider the various factors that affect the data each year. For instance, one of the reasons that we rely more on federal aid now is probably the large influx of immigrants our systems have to support... given the federal control of the border, I'd say it's fair that Washington pays for that. Or the large number of military bases we host. Overall, the numbers are very similar to California.

ARL (Moderator) – July 02, 2016 03:50PM Reply Quote
I whinge therefore I am!
Mmmm... Tasty hung parliament. How 2010.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login